Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Joinery AluClad Windows

Options
  • 21-01-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Looking for feedback from anyone who has had Munster Joinery Aluclad windows and doors installed? We have spent €18k on windows and doors and far from happy with the results. Service guy has been out a few times and told us not to expect perfect windows. Have also been told to wait for the heating to be turned on(new build) which will help the windows settle. Is this the case?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Feedback by PM please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

What a load of tosh! Don't expect perfect windows..what on earth is that all about. Id be straight past the service tech and up to management level with comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

rumar wrote: »
    Looking for feedback from anyone who has had Munster Joinery Aluclad windows and doors installed? We have spent €18k on windows and doors and far from happy with the results. Service guy has been out a few times and told us not to expect perfect windows. Have also been told to wait for the heating to be turned on(new build) which will help the windows settle. Is this the case?

I have a vision of the Windows acting all tense, drafty, and unhappy because they are cold.

When the heating comes on, they will relax, and settle into the openings, and be much happier. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

What a load of tosh! Don't expect perfect windows..what on earth is that all about. Id be straight past the service tech and up to management level with comments like that.

3 months with a front door that our builder has to wedge closed from behind because the doors Munster Joinery provided are too warped to close.
    martinn123 wrote: »
    I have a vision of the Windows acting all tense, drafty, and unhappy because they are cold.

When the heating comes on, they will relax, and settle into the openings, and be much happier. :D

I doubt some heat will solve all the issues tbh. Windows offline, cracked pane of glass, gaps at joints, front doors not closing, Safety not latches not engaging etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Who fitted the kit, it seems your builder did.
    I ask only because if your builder fitted them the MJ will point finger at him.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Who fitted the kit, it seems your builder did.
    I ask only because if your builder fitted them the MJ will point finger at him.

Munster Joinery fitted all windows and doors. Have plenty of photographs. We won't be paying our builder until all the windows and doors are fixed to our satisfaction.

3 months with a front door that our builder has to wedge closed from behind because the doors Munster Joinery provided are too warped to close.
    My emphasis, hence my question.

One thing that you might consider to help you case is a smoke test with a few video cameras outside.

Not an air-tightness test, just pressurizer the house and start the smoke machine.
    They are very instructive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Munster Joinery fitted all windows and doors. Have plenty of photographs. We won't be paying our builder until all the windows and doors are fixed to our satisfaction. I just can't believe how such a large company can provide such sub standard goods and then for their maintenance guy to tell us "not to expect perfect windows"

Why are you taking it out on the builder? Did you order from and pay MJ for the stuff seperately?

My emphasis, hence my question.

One thing that you might consider to help you case is a smoke test with a few video cameras outside.

Not an air-tightness test, just pressurizer the house and start the smoke machine.
    They are very instructive

Great idea thanks. Will do this after we put the heat on for a few days.
    Why are you taking it out on the builder? Did you order from and pay MJ for the stuff seperately?

No we pay the builder who in turn pays Munster Joinery. Our builder always uses Munster Joinery which is why we used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

good luck with that

• Advertisement

good luck with that

Had you a bad experience? Wife talked to the head of service twice in the last few days who doesn't seem too bothered either. Dublin service manager was out to inspect the windows and when asked about about QC we were greeted with a blank stare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Can we leave out the specifics please...going to do some editing!

Had you a bad experience? Wife talked to the head of service twice in the last few days who doesn't seem too bothered either. Dublin service manager was out to inspect the windows and when asked about about QC we were greeted with a blank stare. Imagine spending €18k on a new car and to be told not to expect a perfect car and that you don't know if they have QC in the factory?

Read post 2: Mod Note: Feedback by PM please.

Smoke test as soon as house is airtight, dont wait for heating, way too late then

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭declan52

Don't pay up until you are 100% happy. Its you that has to live in the house when its all finished so it doesn't matter if its the windows or floors or kitchen that is wrong don't part with any money until you are happy. Make sure you let them know that until whatever the actual problems are are fixed then no money will be given. The smoke test will be a good indicator of any problems. Don't wait till the house is plastered and heat is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I walked out of their head office in Dublin at pre sales meeting. Best move I ever made!

The attitude is absolutely shocking and the only reason they are still in business is the cheap cheap cheap prices of stuff which people fall for time and time again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement