Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV wiring advise on refurb

Options
  • 18-01-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

We are currently in the middle of a major refurb/extension to our house. Includes complete rewire with provision for alarm system and Cat5 data throughout. We did not plan for CCTV

I would like to get the electrician to run cable for a future CCTV system. I would appreciate advice on how to plan

How many cameras - i think 4 will cover the boundary/access points
    What type and spec cable should be installed
    How should the cable be terminated
    I am putting a patch panel in for the data in the utility, should the CCTV cables be run back to this or to another location

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A cat5 to each point will cover you for any system you decide to install in the future. The patch panel is a good location for the recorder as there's normally a bit of free space.

You might want to run a cat5 to each tv location as well so you can view the cameras.

I would also run a few spares into the attic incase you might want to add a few cameras later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭techeng

Fred,

Thanks for the info. So to confirm, I do not need separate coax to the cameras if I run Cat5 to each camera point ?

T

No. Depending on which system you go for, be it an ip system or analogue, a cat5 will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

techeng wrote: »
    Fred,

Thanks for the info. So to confirm, I do not need separate coax to the cameras if I run Cat5 to each camera point ?

T
    For what it is worth
    If I understand CCTV at the domestic level, Cat 5 ties you to IP cameras only which are uber pricey, hard to set up if you are not skilled in that area

RG59 Coax or the Siamese version with a pair for power allows you to use either Analogue or Digital or the new one that has launched recently, forget the name.

Terminating RG59 is much easier than Cat 5 and is much less sensitive to unwanted inductance issues in Cat 5.

For feeding it into all the TV's I have a Saorview aerial so I fed the output from the back of the DVR, via some powered box into the cable from the Aerial before the splitter for the 4 TV's. Its Channel 9 across the house.

Now that I have camera locations etc all sorted I am going to upgrade the cameras from the cheap ones I got. The apps all work well on tablets etc.

I also fitted dusk to dawn led lighting as the cameras at night are crap

So far have not had an issue by not having a fixed IP address

The other advice is that two well positioned cheaper camera will work much better than one expensive one in a sub-optimal location. Therefore get an 8 or 16 Channel DVR.
    In theory some DVRs you can daisy chain but its a bit messy.
    Hope this helps

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

For what it is worth
    If I understand CCTV at the domestic level, Cat 5 ties you to IP cameras only which are uber pricey, hard to set up if you are not skilled in that area

RG59 Coax or the Siamese version with a pair for power allows you to use either Analogue or Digital or the new one that has launched recently, forget the name.

Terminating RG59 is much easier than Cat 5 and is much less sensitive to unwanted inductance issues in Cat 5.

For feeding it into all the TV's I have a Saorview aerial so I fed the output from the back of the DVR, via some powered box into the cable from the Aerial before the splitter for the 4 TV's. Its Channel 9 across the house.

Now that I have camera locations etc all sorted I am going to upgrade the cameras from the cheap ones I got. The apps all work well on tablets etc.

I also fitted dusk to dawn led lighting as the cameras at night are crap

So far have not had an issue by not having a fixed IP address

The other advice is that two well positioned cheaper camera will work much better than one expensive one in a sub-optimal location. Therefore get an 8 or 16 Channel DVR.
    In theory some DVRs you can daisy chain but its a bit messy.
    Hope this helps

Using cat5 doesn't tie you to ip cameras as all analogue cameras can be ran over cat5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Using cat5 doesn't tie you to ip cameras as all analogue cameras can be ran over cat5.

Grand, so I don't understand it at the domestic level. One less thing to worry about.:)

For short runs in a domestic situation, the extra costs, labour and material, of terminating Cat 5 with power and video baluns at both ends can negate the cheaper cost of Cat 5 versus RG59, as well as give inductance problems once the cat 5 is untwisted beyond the absolute minimum

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The only extra equipment are the video baluns which are quite cheap. Power is ran through a pair on the cat5 (analogue) or via POE (IP).

There isn't extra labour involved in terminating cat5 over coax and there certainly arent problems with twisted pairs and inductance.

The only time I would recommend running RG59 these days is if HD-SDI is specified but that is now fast become old as the newer formats can transmit 1080p over twisted pair, cheaper too.

Advertisement