Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Trip Wales or Scotland....

Options
  • 04-01-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Well after doing the Europe tour last year all the way to Switzerland and back again I am itching to get away again. Looking to do a trip this summer closer to home unless a lotto win is secured. Was wondering which would be the better trip, I believe both are a great location but for craic. scenary and roads one must surely be better then the other.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.....will most likely be July or August so should be sorted for weather.

Wales or Scotland? 26 votes

Wales all the Way.
    0% 0 votes
    Scotland is Super.
    3% 1 vote
    Do both if you have the time!
    57% 15 votes
    Other (please State)
    38% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I was really hoping to get away for a trip this Summer but with kid number 4 on the way set for arrival mid july i think im gonna be staying home for another year.

If i was heading away Scotland would be my preference as i would just collapse laughing everything i heard the welsh accent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I love Scotland. Much nicer scenic views. I drove in a cage before, up along the west coast, up through the Highlands, and then down to Edinburgh. Well worth it.

Wales is nice, people are friendly, but I would definitely go back and do Scotland on a bike, in a heartbeat.

On a side note -
    I was at the bar the other night and overheard three very hefty women talking at the bar. Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"

One of them angrily screeched, "It's Wales, Wales you bloody idiot!"

So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"

And that's the last thing I remember. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Which place has the easiest police for bikers? Heard of a lot of hassle from the Welsh police not much about the Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm planning to Wales this summer. Mainly because I live in London and Scotland is too far away and I want to do some UK traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

wales are anti bike as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

serious3 wrote: »
    wales are anti bike as far as i know

Especially in North Wales, most revenue per speed sorry, safety camera per road user in the UK, all follows on from that prick Richard Burnstrom who ,as chief constable, made it his business to shaft all bikers that dared enter N.Wales at more than 30mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Something you can get a good deal on the ferry to Wales.

24 hour short stay.

Leave Dublin at 7am on Saturday, and arrive back at 5pm on Sunday

Great for a little weekend getaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Faing wrote: »
    Especially in North Wales, most revenue per speed sorry, safety camera per road user in the UK, all follows on from that prick Richard Burnstrom who ,as chief constable, made it his business to shaft all bikers that dared enter N.Wales at more than 30mph.

This is the only thing that puts me off from going to wales, know a good few lads that had their trip pretty much ruined because of it. I would be bankrupt by the time the trip is over.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Mr B. is no longer the Chief in N. Wales, you'll be glad to know.

I had a trip to Wales last Summer, based in Rhayader. Mostly mid-Wales I suppose, but I must have been in in North Wales too.
    I saw no evidence of heavy-handed policing\speed-traps and I didn't hear anyone else in the group make any such comments either.

Wales is well worth a visit for a biking trip. Fab roads and scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Were you thinking dub - Holyhead or rosslare - Fishguard route?
    Or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Scotland for me. It's like the west of ireland but much better roads. Better mountains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Seems that Scotland is a very popular choice.......

Is it worth taking the spin up to John of Groats or is that well off the beaten track with nothing to do around it. Be nice if the roads all the way up were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Seems very steep to me especially adding on the single room supplement, why on earth you want someone else showing you around a small island and paying through the nose for it is beyond me. Sure its half the fun winging it around the island.....IMHO.

Would cost a fraction of that sorting it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I did a lap of Wales a while back (bout 8 years) there are some great roads heading south from holyhead (can't remember the national park) but they were fantastic, after that there wasn't much excitement, also only takes 3/4 days where as I could see you stretching Scotland out for over a week

hairyslug wrote: »
    I did a lap of Wales a while back (bout 8 years) there are some great roads heading south from holyhead (can't remember the national park) but they were fantastic, after that there wasn't much excitement, also only takes 3/4 days where as I could see you stretching Scotland out for over a week

Thats all I would be going for is 3/4 days maybe 5 with a day off the bike. Snowdonia and surrounding areas are meant to be amazing and so is Breacon Park which is not far from it.

Will have to have a good read on both and see the biking roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thats all I would be going for is 3/4 days maybe 5 with a day off the bike. Snowdonia and surrounding areas are meant to be amazing and so is Breacon Park which is not far from it.

Will have to have a good read on both and see the biking roads.

If you go for Wales, don't make the same mistake and head back up on the Wales/England border, very boring, try and run back up thru the centre of Wales and go thru the mountains again

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

hondavfr wrote: »

That's dear enough IMO but while you'll undoubtedly be able to organise it yourself for less, a lot of accommodation in Scotland does seem to be just that bit more expensive than the average in Ireland, even in B&Bs/guesthouses. There's grand craic to be had staying in hostels, many of which have log cabins/private rooms for a fraction of that price and have all the mod cons, i.e. kitchen, bathroom, laundry facilities if required and soft seats/common rooms. Unlike a lot of pricier places, they usually also have drying rooms for your gear, which is an absolute godsend. This one is great, stayed here before and will again.
    http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk/self-catering/
    There's a great pub/restaurant 5 minutes walk away. Maximum cost for the cabin is listed at £30pppn.

There's something similar but more basic at Applecross as well, but booking ahead would be wise (especially if you're travelling around the time of the Highland Games). Just remember that wherever you stay in the Highlands, unless there's a strong wind then keep your outside windows & doors closed when the lights are on or the midges WILL get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

mr chips wrote: »
    That's dear enough IMO but while you'll undoubtedly be able to organise it yourself for less, a lot of accommodation in Scotland does seem to be just that bit more expensive than the average in Ireland, even in B&Bs/guesthouses. There's grand craic to be had staying in hostels, many of which have log cabins/private rooms for a fraction of that price and have all the mod cons, i.e. kitchen, bathroom, laundry facilities if required and soft seats/common rooms. Unlike a lot of pricier places, they usually also have drying rooms for your gear, which is an absolute godsend. This one is great, stayed here before and will again.
    http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk/self-catering/
    There's a great pub/restaurant 5 minutes walk away. Maximum cost for the cabin is listed at £30pppn.

There's something similar but more basic at Applecross as well, but booking ahead would be wise (especially if you're travelling around the time of the Highland Games). Just remember that wherever you stay in the Highlands, unless there's a strong wind then keep your outside windows & doors closed when the lights are on or the midges WILL get you!

Thanks was thinking it was steep but just came across it when looking at bike trips. I hope to go for a 4 -5 day trip with the missus during the summer months and Scotland seems to be a nice place going by the reviews here. Id imagine I could pick a nice route to cover most of the nice scenic areas during a 4-5 day trip..Glencoehostel also looks like a place to spend a day or 2,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Buy a piece of Glencoe and visit your estate.....lol Laird Viffer kinda has a ring to it...

http://www.highlandtitles.com/

Hostels are grand for a cheap holiday backpacking around, need somewhere secure to park the bikes and get a stress free nights sleep.

Just found this website that is very comprehensive about all the routes etc in Scotland. Plenty of reading material if you are going or even thinking about going....

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/routes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Scotland is awesome. Head from Glasgow along the banks of Scotland's national park, Loch Lomond. Then head North West towards Oban where you could stay the night and enjoy the many thingsd to do there and relax enjoying a pint in the waterside pubs and restaurants and watch the ferries come in from the Scottish islands. You could then head up north skirting the coastline towards Fort William where you would be right next to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles. You could then decide whether to head easterly towards Inverness, or really spoil yourself and go further North passing the famous Glenfinnan Viaduct, featured in Harry Potter and then take the bridge over to the Isle Of Skye where you will have many miles of rugged scenery with unspoiled views and lochs and mountains with scarcely a hint of mankinds existence other than the fast smooth winding roads carving their way through the eerie glens.

A trip easterly to Inverness should be on your cards as that takes you through a huge swath of the Highlands. Then head back West again and go down through Glencoe back towards Loch Lomond again. There is nothing of particular interest at John O Groats. Its fairly flat and featureless north of Inverness and the east coast in general is fairly boring as far as scenery goes.

Scotland is awesome. Head from Glasgow along the banks of Scotland's national park, Loch Lomond. Then head North West towards Oban where you could stay the night and enjoy the many thingsd to do there and relax enjoying a pint in the waterside pubs and restaurants and watch the ferries come in from the Scottish islands. You could then head up north skirting the coastline towards Fort William where you would be right next to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles. You could then decide whether to head easterly towards Inverness, or really spoil yourself and go further North passing the famous Glenfinnan Viaduct, featured in Harry Potter and then take the bridge over to the Isle Of Skye where you will have many miles of rugged scenery with unspoiled views and lochs and mountains with scarcely a hint of mankinds existence other than the fast smooth winding roads carving their way through the eerie glens.

A trip easterly to Inverness should be on your cards as that takes you through a huge swath of the Highlands. Then head back West again and go down through Glencoe back towards Loch Lomond again. There is nothing of particular interest at John O Groats. Its fairly flat and featureless north of Inverness and the east coast in general is fairly boring as far as scenery goes.

Sounds Incredible, might get you to do up a route for me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Going back to Scotland myself in June with a few lads. Once the weather is good, the roads are top class.

Any route we/I plan will start and finish at Cairnryan. It would be great if anyone who was there before do a brief list of the best places they have been, maybe get a small database going as to where would be the best route to take especially if you have not got long and cant get to see all of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

If anyone has any questions in particular ask away, Im Scottish and I have kayaked and mountain biked in an awful lot of places. I also spent several years working on fishing boats all around the coast from Stranraer all the way up to the Isle Of Skye and through the canals to the East coast.

I was also a salesman and I worked in nearly every single town in Scotland, except for the North West as their is no natural gas pipeline there.

I was so excited when we went to work up in Thurso and Wick, because I had never been near John O Groats and we were going to drive there after work just to say we had been there. However the East coast was an utter disappointment, flat, boring, little of interest.

Are there many motorbike friendly hotels and B&Bs that are biker friendly over there? If so, any really nice ones......gonna start a general route over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If anyone has any questions in particular ask away, Im Scottish
    Have you tried the tinned haggis in Aldi? :pac:

Advertisement