Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new battery

Options
  • 04-01-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭

So the battery on the bike has seen better days and needs to be replaced. The OEM Battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S. From doing some digging a few other batteries have popped up on sites but the they don't have the as high a CCA as the Yuasa, which is 230

There is a recommended upgrade battery the Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 which has CCA of 285, but when I click on the dealers tab none of them seem to stock the battery!

A few sites have thrown up the MotoBatt MBTX9U but that only has a CCA of 160

Anyone know where can I pick up a battery with CCA of at least 230 in or around Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I used to deal with the batteries in work before I moved to another part of the company. We do Exide batteries. There's a bike battery with a very similar number to the one you've posted. YTX 14 BS is the number I think. I can check on Monday what the CCA is if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the battery on the bike has seen better days and needs to be replaced. The OEM Battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S. From doing some digging a few other batteries have popped up on sites but the they don't have the as high a CCA as the Yuasa, which is 230

There is a recommended upgrade battery the [url=http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=1337&model=7985&year=7985[Shorai LFX19A4-BS12[/url] which has CCA of 285, but when I click on the dealers tab none of them seem to stock the battery!
    /QUOTE]
    Shorai are LiFeP04 if I am not mistaken, do you want to go down the Lithium route? They need a special charger as well.
    I'd go with the Yuasa if you can't get it then the MotoBatt MBTX9U. It swings my 650 single fine, the two hardest engine configurations to turn over are big singles and twins, I4's and I3's spin easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pablo128 wrote: »
    I used to deal with the batteries in work before I moved to another part of the company. We do Exide batteries. There's a bike battery with a very similar number to the one you've posted. YTX 14 BS is the number I think. I can check on Monday what the CCA is if you like.

The ETZ14-BS is the correct size but has a CCA of only 205

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Shorai are LiFeP04 if I am not mistaken, do you want to go down the Lithium route? They need a special charger as well.
    I'd go with the Yuasa if you can't get it then the MotoBatt MBTX9U. It swings my 650 single fine, the two hardest engine configurations to turn over are big singles and twins, I4's and I3's spin easy.

Didn't know I'd need a separate charger for the Shorai so that's a no go. Trying to avoid the MotoBatt as I've a 1000cc twin so need the cranking power of a higher CCA battery. Must see if I can fit one of these under the seat MBTX16U

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »
    The ETZ14-BS is the correct size but has a CCA of only 205

Didn't know I'd need a separate charger for the Shorai so that's a no go. Trying to avoid the MotoBatt as I've a 1000cc twin so need the cranking power of a higher CCA battery. Must see if I can fit one of these under the seat MBTX16U
    I always upsize if its possible, lots of times you can move things around to make space.
    One thing that all motorcycle batteries have in common is that they are all too small,apart from BMW's and thats still not a reason for me to buy one.

Advertisement