Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too short arse for a Bandit?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking back on a bike as I'm finding commuting into town (Loughlinstown to DIT Kevin Street) a total nightmare in the evenings for college (doing a part time class).

I've a full class A license but haven't been on a bike since about 2008.
    I called Carol Nash and they said they will insure me as if i have no, no claims bonus, which is fair enough.
    I got a quote for a 400cc Burgman of about 500 euro comprehensive or about 300 third party which is more than my car but to be expected i suppose.

I'd rather get something a bit more interesting to ride though and a Bandit seems like its a reliable bike with a little poke.
    However looking at wikipedia it lists the seat height is about 31" . My inside leg is about 30" that so sounds like I'd be on tippy toes when stopped, which doesn't seem like fun. I had an F650 before that was like that and while I loved the bike it was a little wobbly at traffic lights on a windy day!

I'm about 170cm tall with short legs so am wondering if I'd be better off with a cruiser or the likes of a burgman after all?

Anyone have any suggestions/advice?, thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Seat height is perfect for you. Dont forget that when you sit on the seat the suspension will also drop. Im an 29'' inside leg and the bandit would be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Bandit should be ok for your height. Best to call to a few bike shops and sit on a few different bikes to see what suits u best
    Best of luck with the purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I've a 29 inch inside leg and the sv seat height is 31.5. I've no problems with it so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

zubair wrote: »
    I've a 29 inch inside leg and the sv seat height is 31.5. I've no problems with it so you should be fine.

AHHH, My inside leg twin:eek: I have an idea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cheers lads, will definitely have a go at one so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm probably a little shorter than you and I have a Fireblade with a 31.5" seat height. Basically the only time it's a problem is when I have to move the bike backwards. So i have to get off and push it lol. When you are riding its fine as long as you can hold it up ok you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

I've a 29" inside leg and I dropped the seat height by 45mm (you can buy a kit on eBay for about €20) which means I can get both feet on the ground when stopped. Makes for a lot more confidence at traffic lights / dismounting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What about a 36" leg? :P

Too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've no idea what my SO inside leg dim is...........ooooooeeerrrr............anyhoo, she's 5'3" - or less - and rides an SV650 which I dropped by ...20mm ? and it's easy peasy to ride now.

Adjustable 'dog bones' on the rear suspension cost me $89 and took 20 mins to fit.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its only for commuting I'd go for the Bergman 400 over a Bandit any day.

The Bergman has huge storage, Bandit has none at all.. Its got far better weather protection, the bandit has minimal.. It'll be way cheaper on fuel, tires etc.

It won't rust like the Bandit does ~ they've terrible paintwork on the frames.

And the Bergman is no slouch either!. You'll have to ring the Bandits neck to get it moving.

And if you're leaving it outside the college in the evenings the Bergman is far less attractive to thieves that the Bandit is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement