Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quietist helmet ?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Thinking of a new lid..

What's a really quiet helmet?

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Wear earplugs, then it doesn't matter how quiet the lid is. I don't know how lads don't wear them while riding...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I must have weird shaped ears...plugs dont stay in too well....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont buy a race replica or a race style helmet they are alot lighter (less padding etc) therefore alot more noise is present. They also tend to have more vents etc etc......get a touring helmet if noise is a big problem for you.

I have an Arai Quantum and its a great helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any schubert helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Wear earplugs, then it doesn't matter how quiet the lid is. I don't know how lads don't wear them while riding...

Get "in-ear" plugs, a bit bitter than the normal yellow lads. Or custom moulds (pricey but last for a long time).

Wearing ear plugs makes a huge difference...especially on longer journeys.

Without plugs, I can't imagine any helmet is quiet enough to not be annoying. Could be wrong though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As above .. no matter what helmet Ive used there is always noise. Ear Plugs are the only solution.

You could try the moulded ear plugs - designed to suit your own ears and should stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Schuberth C3 or S2. And ear plugs (I sometimes leave them on when I get into work for another while, it's nice to work away when you are not bothered by the noise of phones ringing, non touch-type-y people abusing keyboards, coffee machine squirting noises etc etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Actually find C3 VERY noisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have the S2 and its deffo the quietest lid I ever used

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Zipppy wrote: »
    Actually find C3 VERY noisy!

That's surprising. It's supposed to be one of the if not THE quietest helmet out there, but I am sure there are plenty of variables.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-c3/

Do you get a good fit from the C3? Right size, shape of head etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

If you dont wear earplugs this is an interesting read,

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/motorcycle-ear-plugs

If anyone has a link to good comfy earplugs in uk or ireland id be interested, any that i have ever used have been fairly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Rosahane

rowanh wrote: »
    If you dont wear earplugs this is an interesting read,

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/motorcycle-ear-plugs

If anyone has a link to good comfy earplugs in uk or ireland id be interested, any that i have ever used have been fairly uncomfortable.

Try a sample pack to see what suits. People have different size ear canals.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Foam-Earplugs-Sample-Pack-18-Pairs-Of-Different-Soft-Ear-Plugs-High-Protection-/251306168015?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3a8303cecf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Watch some videos and learn to put them in properly. Most people have their ear plugs sitting just outside of the ear canal.

Or you could not wear ear plugs. Eventually you won't hear the higher frequencies put out by the helmet as your hearing deteriorates.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭dorannoel

I have a shoei GT-AIR and it really good and quiet As well

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Watch some videos and learn to put them in properly. Most people have their ear plugs sitting just outside of the ear canal.

Or you could not wear ear plugs. Eventually you won't hear the higher frequencies put out by the helmet as your hearing deteriorates.

Deafness is bad enough, but noise-induced tinnitus is worse.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I bought these few months ago and I find them absolutely brilliant. You don't have to have the music blaring to hear it and wind noise is negligible, don't even notice it when music is playing.
    http://www.plugfones.com/product/motorhead/

Motorhead-Plugfones.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I bought these few months ago and I find them absolutely brilliant. You don't have to have the music blaring to hear it and wind noise is negligible, don't even notice it when music is playing.

A few months, thanks for keeping them secret. Defo gonna get a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

zubair wrote: »
    A few months, thanks for keeping them secret. Defo gonna get a pair.

I posted about them in another thread when I was buying them :P

Advertisement