Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Backlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Jesus lads this whole thread has become whether his sister got a free test or not and at what point she should have handed over a fee?

Does it really matter?

Point is if your date is over the 28 days from when you first contacted them you are entitled to a free test. Thats it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ended up getting a date on the website in Greenhills for next Friday - as opposed to the one they offered me for April last week.

I guess I'm lucky to have a few centres I can get to (which wouldn't be the case in many places outside of Dublin) but it does seem that the booking system is a bit of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Jesus lads this whole thread has become whether his sister got a free test or not and at what point she should have handed over a fee?

Does it really matter?

Point is if your date is over the 28 days from when you first contacted them you are entitled to a free test. Thats it.

It's not though. As has been said, you need to specifically request a test within 28 days. If you don't, you will likely be given a date outside the 28 days which you will be deemed to have accepted by turning up on the day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Booked a test for ohs car last night for this sat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's not though. As has been said, you need to specifically request a test within 28 days. If you don't, you will likely be given a date outside the 28 days which you will be deemed to have accepted by turning up on the day.

I rang to book in December for a cert that expires the end of February, I got a text weeks later saying I'm booked in for 26 March :mad: If I ring back and request this booking to be within 28 days, I'll get the test for free?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

cormie wrote: »
    I rang to book in December for a cert that expires the end of February, I got a text weeks later saying I'm booked in for 26 March :mad: If I ring back and request this booking to be within 28 days, I'll get the test for free?

Possibly, although they might say that because you've 'voluntarily' accepted a date outside the 28 days they won't give you a free one. It could be worth a try.

Itll be free anyway I think but no harm in requesting a free one.

I rang yesterday to confirm that the one I booked on the net was going to be free (she offered me march over the phone, I rejected and went back on the list then found a date myself on the website)

She said no problem itll be free, she actually said they were processing quite a few freebies at the moment and the garages know not to charge when it appears on the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

My test is due in February 2016. Looks like I'll have to book it soon. :)

Possibly, although they might say that because you've 'voluntarily' accepted a date outside the 28 days they won't give you a free one. It could be worth a try.
    TheSheriff wrote: »
    Itll be free anyway I think but no harm in requesting a free one.

I rang yesterday to confirm that the one I booked on the net was going to be free (she offered me march over the phone, I rejected and went back on the list then found a date myself on the website)

She said no problem itll be free, she actually said they were processing quite a few freebies at the moment and the garages know not to charge when it appears on the system

Thanks for the replies. I didn't accept the date, they said they'd put me on the cancellation list and try get me one asap, then I just get a text saying I'm booked for March :(

I'd be happy to pay if I can get my test done before expiry but if not I'd feel a bit ripped off paying. When did you get your earlier test booked for TheSheriff?

Thanks for the replies. I didn't accept the date, they said they'd put me on the cancellation list and try get me one asap, then I just get a text saying I'm booked for March :(

I'd be happy to pay if I can get my test done before expiry but if not I'd feel a bit ripped off paying. When did you get your earlier test booked for TheSheriff?

Its booked for the day the car expires on the 14th of Jan at I think 9.00pm at night. They couldnt have left it any later really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭griffin100

My test is not due until May but I want to do an early one so went online the weekend and nothing available until mid March in any of centers that suit me (there's 5-6 that suit me). After reading this thread checked online about 11.45 last night and there was availability in 3 of the centers that suit me, but in all of them it was for January 19th for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't beleive there is a backlog. I booked on first of Jan, took test (and failed) today re-test booked for the

(Before you ask, failed on headlight alignment and a split tyre valve)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

corktina wrote: »
    I don't beleive there is a backlog. I booked on first of Jan, took test (and failed) today re-test booked for the

(Before you ask, failed on headlight alignment and a split tyre valve)

I don't believe that there are roads in Ireland but it doesn't change the fact that, like the backlog, it exists :)

I and many others are waiting two months plus for dates.
    I've booked three NCT tests in the past couple of months and the shortest available date was 6 weeks (in the whole of leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't believe that there are roads in Ireland but it doesn't change the fact that, like the backlog, it exists :)

I and many others are waiting two months plus for dates.
    I've booked three NCT tests in the past couple of months and the shortest available date was 6 weeks (in the whole of leinster)

I booked one this morning for Fonthill on the 23rd of January. There is a backlog but if people are a bit proactive, check the site regularly and go on around 23:30, they will get a date in a short amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

bren2001 wrote: »
    I booked one this morning for Fonthill on the 23rd of January. There is a backlog but if people are a bit proactive, check the site regularly and go on around 23:30, they will get a date in a short amount of time.
    Surely they should just make the dates available to all on a first come first served basis not this BS of knock knock wink wink be online at the night time.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Surely they should just make the dates available to all on a first come first served basis not this BS of knock knock wink wink be online at the night time.

I think it's as slots become available again the system resets overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I think it's as slots become available again the system resets overnight.

The system needs a revamp not a reset, bloody nct, i've seen some of the most stupid fail sheets, one being the irish name on the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

11.30 things always works. I have always gotten dates in 2 weeks using this method! Im prepared this year, NCT is due the end of May so its booked in for March!

I thought you could only book 3 months in advance? How do you have it booked already for May? Does that mean I can book mine for the earliest test date possible as soon as I pass this years one?

EDIT: I just rang them up (+35314135992) as I locked myself out of the online booking system for entering the wrong details too many times :o I said I wanted a sooner date than 26th March and he said he didn't have anything until April, then I said about getting it for free because it's not within 28 days and he said he could put me on a priority list and I'd be guaranteed a test within 28 days and I should receive a text with confirmation within 10 days.

Would have preferred to have a look at 23:30 and choose one myself instead of waiting and getting a random date chosen for me but we'll see how it pans out.

I thought you could only book 3 months in advance? How do you have it booked already for May? Does that mean I can book mine for the earliest test date possible as soon as I pass this years one?

EDIT: I just rang them up (+35314135992) as I locked myself out of the online booking system for entering the wrong details too many times :o I said I wanted a sooner date than 26th March and he said he didn't have anything until April, then I said about getting it for free because it's not within 28 days and he said he could put me on a priority list and I'd be guaranteed a test within 28 days and I should receive a text with confirmation within 10 days.

Would have preferred to have a look at 23:30 and choose one myself instead of waiting and getting a random date chosen for me but we'll see how it pans out.

You can still go online at 23.30 and book a test it will automatically negate their priority list.
    I was on the list and still booked online. Youll be locked out for 24 hrs then you can try again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

He's booked in for March...Current NCT expires in May Cormie.:)

Thanks again TheSheriff, I'll try that.

But.. May is 4 months away, I know it's only 2 months away from March, but I thought you could only book within the 3 months, if you can book at any time, for a date within 3 months, that's good to know, may as well just book months and months in advance to get it as soon as possible.

Cormie,
    you can do the Test 90 days ahead of expiry, and still keep the original Due Date.
    You can book a Test up to 3 months in advance (more to do with the lame NCT system, than any legislation).
    So you could book a test now (for a date 3 months away) if your NCT expires just under 6 months from now.

.....I think you kind of knew this already, so just confirming it.

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know :) I thought that you can only book within the 90 day period leading up to expiry for any day within that 90 days. That's nice to know!

Also, once you get yourself 'unlocked' just click on "pay online" to check for appointments.
    This means you don't need to find your Date of first Registration to look for dates.....but if you want to go ahead and book a date (and pay at the centre) you'll have to come back out and click on "click here" to book now and pay later.
    Have a look at the examples of VLC's etc to make sure you are putting in the correct Date of Registration, to avoid geting locked out & missing a slot.....if you find one that suits.

Sorry, where is the "pay online" link you're referring to? I just tried to login again, with my date of first registration, and it said no information found :confused:

I then went to: https://www.ncts.ie/internet_bookings.html , clicked "book your NCT or re-test" and got this:

9065064083.png

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

trying to book a test also and getting this

nct.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

tossy wrote: »
    trying to book a test also and getting this

nct.jpg

I got the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

KC161 wrote: »
    I got the exact same

Site is down now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

works for m, been displaying that cert stuff for a few days. I wouldn't risk my card details, but you can book to pay at the NCT centre

Advertisement