Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Backlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

So basically when if your nct is up in 2016 might aswell book it in advance, i heard soemthing about them changing the law now if your nct is up and your booked in you get a fine or soemthing how does that work?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I was trying in mid December to get a retest booked over the phone. I got a slot for tomorrow (well today now) from the agent at the time as it was the next available slot. I just checked the website for opening/closing times and it says the centre is closed - gonna head up tomorrow hoping the website is wrong, but can they fast track a new test date because they booked me into a centre that is listed as closed on the date they gave me.

My nct expires the end of this month so can't afford getting stuck in another backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I know there was a recent thread on this but it has been closed.

Just wanted to ask has anyone had any experience whereby their NCT has expired and they have been stopped by the guards?

Basically my story is I rang the NCT ~28th November 2014 as my NCT was up on the 14th of January 2015.

I was told I was put on a waiting list. I rang back a few times in December as I had heard nothing and was told I was still on the priority list.

Got a text on the 23rd of December to say my NCT was booked for the 16th of March 2015! (two months after it expires)

I finally got onto them this morning and was informed yes its the next available date ( Ive asked for anywhere in Dublin or Cork) and the most I can be offered is a free test on that date.

I just think its a bit outrageous having given them approx 7 weeks notice of the cert expiring.

I will undoubtedly have to drive the car without a valid cert if this date sticks as I need it for work and couldn't do without for three months.

Anybody had this experience where they were driving without a valid cert due to the NCT backlog?

(BTW not looking for an argument on my own organisational skills and how I should have contacted them sooner)

People who are overdue tests are getting priority over people who's cars are nearly up for test.

My car is overdue a test and i rang the ncts and got text a date for appointment in january.

Last sunday i got stopped at a checkpoint and the garda on duty checked the screen and never passed any remarks that id no nct displayed.

If stopped just show them your text message. At least it shows your getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

My NCT is due on the 22nd February. I just had a mini heart attack after reading the horror stories here.

Desperately clawed around a load of NCT Centres near me. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Went further afield. And got very, very lucky. Arklow down in Wicklow and in on the 16th January. And not some ungodly hour either. Will have to take a bit of time off work to get down to it, but I'm just glad I got the f*cking thing booked in on time!

Lucky sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Up on January 21st here, got an appointment for March 15th.

I was trying in mid December to get a retest booked over the phone. I got a slot for tomorrow (well today now) from the agent at the time as it was the next available slot. I just checked the website for opening/closing times and it says the centre is closed - gonna head up tomorrow hoping the website is wrong, but can they fast track a new test date because they booked me into a centre that is listed as closed on the date they gave me.

My nct expires the end of this month so can't afford getting stuck in another backlog.

So the website was wrong - they were open. Got there 20 mins before my 8am slot and there was already a queue of cars. Definitely worth availing of their early testing option to avoid December/January madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'm in the nct centre in Naas and its deathly quiet. I arrived 20 mins early and the car went straight in. A bloke arrived just before me with no appointment and his car is in there now. so it might be worth it to just turn up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm in the nct centre in Naas and its deathly quiet. I arrived 20 mins early and the car went straight in. A bloke arrived just before me with no appointment and his car is in there now. so it might be worth it to just turn up

I turned up once for a retest with no appointment, they took the car in straight away and it passed, that was in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Ring them back and ask them if this test will be free as they couldn't test your car within 28 days. Your man/woman on the phone will get sour with you (only sometimes:D) but you'll get a text within 4/5 days with a new appointment (within 28 days).

Still waiting for evidence of a Free Test....not a refund but an actual pay-no-money-test.

Free tests are rare but do happen, my sister got a free test this year, she tried to book online two weeks before due date, no slot available until six weeks after due so she called them and they were giving her the same slot on the phone as was available on the website.

She refused that slot and asked to be put on the priority/cancellation list and was told she would get a text with an appointment within 10 days, (she never mentioned free test or 28 days or anything like that because she didn't know about it) when she received the text on the 9th day the appointment was for four weeks after the due date so well outside the 28 day window for a free test, she showed up for the test passed and when collecting the cert she offered her card to pay and the guy told her the computer said it was free due to the delay with getting the appointment, she did not have to pay anything, it was a pleasant surprise to her.

My car is due at the moment and I'm following the same strategy to see can I get it free, have a test coming up in a few days but I called in late November to book so we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

My nct is up since nov, i rang 5 days before it was due and only avaiable slot was this monday 5th jan in dundalk couldnt even get priorty so im going to push to try get a free test cos its over 28 days or am i wrong just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Free tests are rare but do happen, my sister got a free test this year, she tried to book online two weeks before due date, no slot available until six weeks after due so she called them and they were giving her the same slot on the phone as was available on the website.

She refused that slot and asked to be put on the priority/cancellation list and was told she would get a text with an appointment within 10 days, (she never mentioned free test or 28 days or anything like that because she didn't know about it) when she received the text on the 9th day the appointment was for four weeks after the due date so well outside the 28 day window for a free test, she showed up for the test passed and when collecting the cert she offered her card to pay and the guy told her the computer said it was free due to the delay with getting the appointment, she did not have to pay anything, it was a pleasant surprise to her.

My car is due at the moment and I'm following the same strategy to see can I get it free, have a test coming up in a few days but I called in late November to book so we'll see what happens.

Not calling you a liar but this story doesn't quite add up. You always pay for the test before your car is brought in . In most centres the guy who gives you the Cert couldn't accept payment even if he wanted to as he's down at the other end of the Test Centre.
    In other words, if the Test was free your sister would have been informed of this when she handed in her keys and VLC.
    Also your post implies that she accepted the Appointment offered, she should have told them that she expected a Free Test as the date offered was outside the 28 day limit. As she didn't do this she tacitly accepted the appointment offered.

edit; "Brought in", meaning the Tester drives the car from the car park into the confines of the Test Centre ( sorry Dottie Lottie, totally my fault. I should have explained it more clearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    Not calling you a liar but this story doesn't quite add up. You always pay for the test before your car is brought in. In most centres the guy who gives you the Cert couldn't accept payment even if he wanted to as he's down at the other end of the Test Centre. In other words, if the Test was free your sister would have been informed of this when she handed in her keys and VLC.

Not true, you can book online and opt to pay at the centre I did so this morning.

Not true, you can book online and opt to pay at the centre I did so this morning.

Yes, but you pay before your car is tested when you hand in your keys, not after the test is done.

It is true. Read it again....:rolleyes:
    I said that you have to pay before they test the car, not after. You pay them when you walk in the door and and talk to the person at reception.....not after they have completed the Test procedure.

ps. ...and morrigan can type faster than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Yes, but you pay before your car is tested when you hand in your keys, not after the test is done.

Correct but!!! possibly if no fee is due they will not ask for it before the test.

Not calling you a liar but this story doesn't quite add up. You always pay for the test before your car is brought in . In most centres the guy who gives you the Cert couldn't accept payment even if he wanted to as he's down at the other end of the Test Centre.

I have brought numerous cars for test over the years to both Drogheda and Kells, the usual procedure in both those centres is, show up just before your scheduled time, enter the waiting area, a tester will come into the office and call you in turn, he will take your car keys go out and drive you car in and test it, he will then return it to the car park and return to the office, he will call you and give you your cert/fail notice and accept payment, I have never had a different person accept payment than tested the car, I have never paid in advance of knowing the result, I would have tested in excess of 30 cars over the years for myself, family and friends.

In other words, if the Test was free your sister would have been informed of this when she handed in her keys and VLC.
    Also your post implies that she accepted the Appointment offered, she should have told them that she expected a Free Test as the date offered was outside the 28 day limit. As she didn't do this she tacitly accepted the appointment offered.

edit; "Brought in", meaning the Tester drives the car from the car park into the confines of the Test Centre ( sorry Dottie Lottie, totally my fault. I should have explained it more clearly)

She refused the appointment on the phone and asked to be put on the priority/cancellation list and said was available at pretty much any time they could facilitate her, she received a text nine days later saying an appointment had been confirmed for date/time, in other words she wasn't given the opportunity to accept/reject that time, she showed up and gave the mechanic her keys when called, he brought in the car tested it and came back and gave her the cert and told her it was free.

I have brought numerous cars for test over the years to both Drogheda and Kells, the usual procedure in both those centres is, show up just before your scheduled time, enter the waiting area, a tester will come into the office and call you in turn, he will take your car keys go out and drive you car in and test it, he will then return it to the car park and return to the office, he will call you and give you your cert/fail notice and accept payment, I have never had a different person accept payment than tested the car, I have never paid in advance of knowing the result, I would have tested in excess of 30 cars over the years for myself, family and friends.

So what you're saying is that they will test your car, hand you back the keys and a fail sheet, and only then ask for payment ???
    I have been to NCT centres in this country with 2 Test lanes in a glorified shed, a Portacabin for Admin (both payment and Cert Printing).....and they always took payment before testing the Car.
    Also, as your sister did not enquire about a Free Test I find it very hard to believe that APPLUS+ just waived the cost.

I tempted to call BS.

But if you insist that that's the way it is in your area then you must be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

So what you're saying is that they will test your car, hand you back the keys and a fail sheet, and only then ask for payment ???
    I have been to NCT centres in this country with 2 Test lanes in a glorified shed, a Portacabin for Admin (both payment and Cert Printing).....and they always took payment before testing the Car.

My experience is the same as that. Literally hundreds of cars, mostly in Portlaoise but also in several other centres. You pay first, then they test the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

My experience is the same as that. Literally hundreds of cars, mostly in Portlaoise but also in several other centres. You pay first, then they test the car.

Me too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

joujoujou wrote: »
    7 weeks prior to due date is not enough, especially if due date is on Jan/Feb - most of cars bought in Ireland has aforementioned due date. ;)

Just booked NCT for myself - it'll be done 2 months prior to due date, no problem. :)

I'd advise to look up for appointment approx 5 months ahead of due date. :P

7 weeks is not enough notice but it SHOULD be more than enough notice to book a Test ........ which is the fault of the NCT crowd NOT the customers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I always pay when I check in at reception on arrival at the test centre - before the test.

I don't think the mechanics handle money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My mum got an appointment today for the Middle of March in Waterford. It's actualy due about now but car needs tyres which she didn't have the money for until now so couldn't think about booking it well in advance.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    My mum got an appointment today for the Middle of March in Waterford. It's actualy due about now but car needs tyres which she didn't have the money for until now so couldn't think about booking it well in advance.

I know the feeling being short on money, my wifes car has an nct and we still can't sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

KC161 wrote: »
    I know the feeling being short on money, my wifes car has an nct and we still can't sell it

It'll pass no problem once it gets 2 new tyres and a routine service but that's €200 altogether which wasn't around coming up to Christmas.

It'll pass no problem once it gets 2 new tyres and a routine service but that's €200 altogether which wasn't around coming up to Christmas.

It's reasonable, Christmas is the worst time for the nct money wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

My experience is the same as that. Literally hundreds of cars, mostly in Portlaoise but also in several other centres. You pay first, then they test the car.[/QUOT

Ok, same here, always pay first, Cahir, Waterford or Kilkenny, but if their system shows their is no fee due due to being outside the 28 days!!!

But their system won't show this....unless you specifically request a test wthin the 28 days.
    Otherwise you will have just accepted the Date offered and therefore are not entitled to a Free Test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

put it in for the test first and see what else i t may fail on.

• Advertisement

Also, as your sister did not enquire about a Free Test I find it very hard to believe that APPLUS+ just waived the cost.

I tempted to call BS.

But if you insist that that's the way it is in your area then you must be correct.

No they generally hold onto the keys until you pony up, but yes I will have the cert or fail sheet in my hand before I pay, I don't know if it is like this for everybody, but that's the way it happens for me.

She didn't inquire about a free test, didn't even know you could get one, I was very surprised myself and questioned her on it but she insists they just waived the fee, he never asked for money before or after, just handed her the cert at the end and said goodbye, she even reminded him he hadn't collected the money and offered her card and he said it was free due to the delay.
    I always pay when I check in at reception on arrival at the test centre - before the test.

I don't think the mechanics handle money.

The mechanics do everything in the test centers I use, including handling cash and taking card payments, maybe the bigger centers are different.
    But their system won't show this....unless you specifically request a test wthin the 28 days.
    Otherwise you will have just accepted the Date offered and therefore are not entitled to a Free Test.

But if you refuse the date they offer you on the phone and tell them you want to go on the cancellation/priority list and then still get a date outside the 28 day window what happens, this is the way it happened for the sister.

Advertisement