Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Backlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

The commercial testing system here is probably the nearest comparison to the MOT in the UK and that works ok, especially since it has been overhauled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You should see how well the commercial system is monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

My nct is due 1st of jan but the earliest booking I could get was march. Rang them earlier and was put on a high priority list. Told me I'd get the test in the next 4 weeks.

As to the OPs original question, what do people reckon the Guards stance will be considering theres such a backlog ? Lenient or rake in the cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

I have an early NCT next week but the mechanic reckons I will fail without putting circa 500e into the car. My current cert is not out of date until the end of March. If I go in and fail will my current cert be deemed invalid straight away?

Heckler wrote: »

As to the OPs original question, what do people reckon the Guards stance will be considering theres such a backlog ? Lenient or rake in the cash ?

I'd say it will depend on who you get - I don't think they have the resources for a mass crackdown. A KO'ed addict has been blocking the doors to my office for the last few hours in the city center and they still haven't come to move him on. I also didn't see a single check point over the Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Robroy36 wrote: »
    I have an early NCT next week but the mechanic reckons I will fail without putting circa 500e into the car. My current cert is not out of date until the end of March. If I go in and fail will my current cert be deemed invalid straight away?

It be enough to pass a Garda check point with paper nct disk in window but it's not road worthy and that is also a legal requirement.

visual wrote: »
    It be enough to pass a Garda check point with paper nct disk in window but it's not road worthy and that is also a legal requirement.

Grand, will push it back to March so. Not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Robroy36 wrote: »

Seeing as nobody came straight out and said it....No, your current NCT is perfectly valid until it's expiry date.
    Even if it's a Fail/Dangerous situation your current NCT is still valid ( but you are supposed to make the car safe again before driving it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just booked an NCT today - given a date at the end of March.

Book early folk there is a serious back log!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

So you get a free test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

My nct is up 24th jan. I had tried to book a date as far back as November but nothing available. I tried and tried each week and eventually I booked for 28th March as they were the only dates I could find each time. I called the nct and was put on an urgent list and to expect a phone call within ten days for an appointment. The March date was cancelled by them after the call.Yesterday I went back online just to check and there was a date for 14th January so I booked that. Happy enough now. It's worth just to keep looking on day to day basis even though it's a pain in the backside. Keep trying is I can say,but make sure to call them in the meantime to be put on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I booked on first Jan and there were loads of appts available, I got 5th January. You just don't accept the first one you see and keep dropping in, especially 8 or 9 am. I checked it out three times before getting what I want. There is no backlog in reality, it's just a daft booking system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Hey guys, OP here

Just wanted to update on this.

Anyway I was away for the new years period but brought the lap top with me (bore!!!) so that I could log on and regularly check the NCT system.

With some luck and after three failed nights, on new years eve at 11.30pm I finally managed to get a test booked for the 14th of Jan in Dublin which is the day my NCT runs out. The test is at about 9.00pm at night (talk about the 11th hour).

The whole system is an absolute disgrace - the only consolation being that I will not be paying for the test.

Still tough, Id rather my test a week earlier and pay the 55e than this farce

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If I had followed their advice and phoned, I would not have needed to check three times I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

So you get a free test?

Why would I get a free test?

you wont now you have accepted a date. Had you phoned them and insisted on a test within 28/30 days (can't recall which) they would be obliged to give you a free test if they could not accommodate you (which they would of course). It pays to read the relevant threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Here is a good one :)

My NCT is due in Feb.

I checked online this morning, no appointments online till April.

I phoned NCT.

He said can you be here in 40 minutes?

I said ....uh, sure!

So up I went, passed it and all, I am now NCT'd :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Mine is up in the next few days so rang in early-ish December to get a date (later than I should have, I know), was put on the "priority list".

Got a text today with an appointment for 3rd April.

Rang to see if I could get something sooner and the only option is to cancel the date they've given me and go back on the priority list.

It'll be December 2015 by the time I have it NCT'd at this stage.

I'd do exactly that and then try for a freebie.....

• Advertisement

flogen wrote: »
    Mine is up in the next few days so rang in early-ish December to get a date (later than I should have, I know), was put on the "priority list".

Got a text today with an appointment for 3rd April.

Rang to see if I could get something sooner and the only option is to cancel the date they've given me and go back on the priority list.

It'll be December 2015 by the time I have it NCT'd at this stage.

Ring them back and ask them if this test will be free as they couldn't test your car within 28 days. Your man/woman on the phone will get sour with you (only sometimes:D) but you'll get a text within 4/5 days with a new appointment (within 28 days).

Still waiting for evidence of a Free Test....not a refund but an actual pay-no-money-test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Ring them back and ask them if this test will be free as they couldn't test your car within 28 days. Your man/woman on the phone will get sour with you (only sometimes:D) but you'll get a text within 4/5 days with a new appointment (within 28 days).

Still waiting for evidence of a Free Test....not a refund but an actual pay-no-money-test.

Thanks... wish I'd known that before I rang them earlier!

...and if they tell you it's too late as you have already accepted this appointment, well.....you could always cancel it (at no cost) and ring back requesting 'a test within 28 days please'.

It's amazing how the mention of a 'Free Test' seems to make appointments appear.

When I logged in to book my change that it wouldnt let me enter payment details.

Instead it said as there is no charge for your next test there is no need for payment details.

I dont plan on paying anyway. They took about 6 weeks to get an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

I rang the 17th of December and was told the next date is in march. So they said they'd put me on a priority list and should get a test date soon since my nct expires early january.,but haven't heard a thing back:S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

If only there was a date of expiry put on the disk so that you knew well in advance when the NCT was due.

cml387 wrote: »
    If only there was a date of expiry put on the disk so that you knew well in advance when the NCT was due.

That would indeed be a good idea:D. I'll pop that into their suggestion box on my next visit in 2017

cml387 wrote: »

Hilarious

Round of applause please folks for this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can put the car reg into their website and it will tell you when it's due:

https://www.nct.ie/booking_app/Bookings/NCTReminder.aspx?language=english

• Advertisement

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Hilarious

Round of applause please folks for this guy

:D:D:D:D

Advertisement