Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Homeless Shelter / Food-Kitchen Initiative

Options
  • 28-12-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, well following on from my post here; I awoke today realising it didn't bloody matter what day of the week it actually is. If someone is homeless; If someone is hungry or Heavens Above,both;then the day of the week is irrelevant imo.

I've contacted 3-of our Councillors and TD's today. I've posed questions that will require some work/research by them so awaiting replies.
    If anyone else wants to contact a Councillor or TD re: Killarney Homeless Shelter / Soup-Kitchen Initiative ; contact any local volunteer group who could assist ; contact any local Activist who could assist and want to assist with getting these ideas up & running, Please Do So ASAP!

We are talking about our fellow neighbours here in Killarney/Kerry in general even, don't waste time on this matter. According to accuweather here, we will see -2 tonight :( and not everyone will have access to a warm blanket and bed tonight.

I urge you to at least try; make some contact with anyone you think could assist with this.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay, well following on from my post here; I awoke today realising it didn't bloody matter what day of the week it actually is. If someone is homeless; If someone is hungry or Heavens Above,both;then the day of the week is irrelevant imo.

I've contacted 3-of our Councillors and TD's today. I've posed questions that will require some work/research by them so awaiting replies.
    If anyone else wants to contact a Councillor or TD re: Killarney Homeless Shelter / Soup-Kitchen Initiative ; contact any local volunteer group who could assist ; contact any local Activist who could assist and want to assist with getting these ideas up & running, Please Do So ASAP!

We are talking about our fellow neighbours here in Killarney/Kerry in general even, don't waste time on this matter. According to accuweather here, we will see -2 tonight :( and not everyone will have access to a warm blanket and bed tonight.

I urge you to at least try; make some contact with anyone you think could assist with this.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

i hope these Councillors help with this, and that nobody in kerry ever sleep another night outside,
    it is awful to think that tonight we have people sleeping in these freezing elements,
    all our government are bothered about is this water charges, charge us for breathing the air next

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

goat2 wrote: »
    i hope these Councillors help with this, and that nobody in kerry ever sleep another night outside,
    it is awful to think that tonight we have people sleeping in these freezing elements,
    all our government are bothered about is this water charges, charge us for breathing the air next

Few more contacted along with FocusIreland and some Simon Communities with me looking for any and all assistance/advice they can give on setting these up.
    Hopefully head into 2015 with some Positive News on this.

Shameful to think that this profitable tourist town can actually have people in these situations. Not like there is a shortage of beds to blame, especially in the Winter Months.

Thanks to all who are working on this,
    kerry4sam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

organize a sleep out

braddun wrote: »
    organize a sleep out

While a sleep-out would generate some awareness, the sponsorship it would bring may not be exactly necessary right now.

I want this done right from the beginning so I'm going to hold tough and wait a few days so see what options there currently are in place to assist with these issues.

Thank You though,
    You might receive a pm from me in 2015 asking for you to come along with your sleeping bag to a sleepout though :)

kerry4sam

it is great to see ye doing your best for your community

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    it is great to see ye doing your best for your community

Still quite some assistance required though, but Thank You :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

If Tralee IT has a homeless charity society they could be a good help. The simon community are great in UCC, But obviously we need something more local.
    I wonder would the gardai be of any help? Homeless shelters can sometimes get quite hostile and may require security?
    Another thought: if anybody knows a social worker who would volunteer a night a week and try to help these people out of the situation they are in and get them an address.
    Edit: an afterthought. If we could fundraise enough to get a counsillor in who could help those who are alcoholics/drug addicts (I know not all homeless have addiction problems but some do). Again, this could help their permanent situation.

1am and I've received a very Positive Reply.

For this to be a the mind of a local Councillor at 1am is defo Positive in my Eyes!

Still very early days though,
    but a Positive Start to discuss this further anyways,

Thanks Again ^^^
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

xLisaBx wrote: »
    If Tralee IT has a homeless charity society they could be a good help. The simon community are great in UCC, But obviously we need something more local.
    I wonder would the gardai be of any help? Homeless shelters can sometimes get quite hostile and may require security?
    Another thought: if anybody knows a social worker who would volunteer a night a week and try to help these people out of the situation they are in and get them an address.
    Edit: an afterthought. If we could fundraise enough to get a counsillor in who could help those who are alcoholics/drug addicts (I know not all homeless have addiction problems but some do). Again, this could help their permanent situation.

The I.T Tralee had a food drive during December which was aimed at helping out students who were financially struggling, they also do a lot of bake sales etc with the St.Vincent De Paul, it'd definitley be worth contacting them (and the college chaplin too) as they do a lot of good work in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

siblers wrote: »
    The I.T Tralee had a food drive during December which was aimed at helping out students who were financially struggling, they also do a lot of bake sales etc with the St.Vincent De Paul, it'd definitley be worth contacting them (and the college chaplin too) as they do a lot of good work in that area.
    I'm sure they would be willing to help out in killarney. Loads of students study in Tralee IT from killarney so they probably are involved in the societies.

• Advertisement

hopefully the new year will bring good things to people without homes,

Great initiative.

I guess the initial difficulty is in structuring a response, are you going to try and find them a bed or shelter or more in the line of bringing food and clothes to them.

Could something like a waiting room in a hospital be used as a base, given that they are unused when the homeless are most in need of support - nighttime.

Once the response is structured, then jobs can be given out, rotas etc. and I would like to think Boards contributors can be called on to give something back to this wonderful county and its people.

Okay, anyone any movement?

I'm meeting one Cllr this week
    &
    Another Cllr has passed on my details to someone who IS in a position to assist & informed me if they don't get in touch soon, to get back onto them (Cllr) and they would intervene on my behalf.

That's some Positive Movement anyways,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Well done, you are one of few people who are taking initiative to help.

May i ask how the current homeless situation there is? As of now i am no help but the towards the second half of the year i will assist you however i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well done for this... as someone who until fragile health stopped active involvement was involved.. I now fund raise may I offer some advice? My family have been very involved with the homeless in many countries for decades and offer these words.. focus by the way is run by a Sister whose order could house and feed every homeless person in Ireland easily; they have buildings lying empty. They and Simon send 75 cents of every euro they raise on salaries and advertising. A small group might do better, Not sure if many know how much actual provision there is in Dublin http://www.coolmine.ie/about/links/food-day-centres-and-practical-support................you need to do a need feasibility study ie how many are sleeping rough in Killarney ie what the actual need is. Also be aware that many habituated homeless do not want any ties and will refuse what you think is help.... am thinking of the men camping in the National Park who refused help that was offered. We would not call the "soup kitchen" in Tralee by that name as it is a once a week lunch club.. and figures there are low for such a large town, thankfully. Would love to see it in action.. NB we supply food to the Salvation Army in Dublin as this is more cost effective than setting up a whole new organisation with all the cost of that.. Maybe contact the Sally Ann? But you need to put flesh on the fine strong bones of your wonderful enthusiasm..Good luck!

^^^ Thanks for the replies to date :)

I must say that we currently have some Wonderful people in our Council; just amazing hearts at work for us in Killarney!

Can I just ask if anyone wants to post anything; pro, con, further tips & advice, ideas, suggestions of any nature - do NOT hesitate. I'll like to hear it all; I'd like to know the feelings & thoughts about this from all sides.
    Work is being done; So much is currently being done Rest-Assured; Assistance is being provided but so much more needs & can be done.

If anyone who have spoken of assisting would like to put a few words together and either reply on-thread or via pm; or if people would like my e-mail so they can reply to me there, just send a pm.
    I'll like to hear from as many as possible so as to incorporate all views, all angles, all opinions, as much as possible.

Killarney can achieve so much more in 2015 but action needs to follow on from the words now...

Many Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Kerry4Sam,

Well done on coming up with this initiative,

Very Sincerely,

D.

^^^ Thanks for the replies to date :)

I must say that we currently have some Wonderful people in our Council; just amazing hearts at work for us in Killarney!

Can I just ask if anyone wants to post anything; pro, con, further tips & advice, ideas, suggestions of any nature - do NOT hesitate. I'll like to hear it all; I'd like to know the feelings & thoughts about this from all sides.
    Work is being done; So much is currently being done Rest-Assured; Assistance is being provided but so much more needs & can be done.

If anyone who have spoken of assisting would like to put a few words together and either reply on-thread or via pm; or if people would like my e-mail so they can reply to me there, just send a pm.
    I'll like to hear from as many as possible so as to incorporate all views, all angles, all opinions, as much as possible.

Killarney can achieve so much more in 2015 but action needs to follow on from the words now...

Many Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Do you have any figures yet? Been very hectic trying to keep warm up here.

Apologies for not updating this sooner but ...

We shall have some news in about 6-weeks on this Thanks to Two Simply Wonderful local councillors, one of whom I met to discuss the issue myself. He was always fighting for this himself Thankfully & already does Inspiring Work on these issues & moved it forward :)

If you are interested in assisting in 6-weeks time in any matter you can, please drop me a pm outlining what you feel you'd like to & what you feel you can assist with.

Local Support is Vital to a Positive & Successful Outcome here!

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Great idea K4S !

Count me in .....

E

• Advertisement

The town Cllr who generously gave me time on his very issue has found his solution.
    Cllr Donal Grady has been working tirelessly and endlessly on this and

Killarney will get a Homeless Shelter, planned for 2018, currently at design stage. This will be supported by Kerry County Council and Dept. of Environment.
    Cllr Donal Grady: We can't turn a blind eye to the HomeLess.

Killarney, once again, owes so much to Cllr. Grady.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

The town Cllr who generously gave me time on his very issue has found his solution.
    Cllr Donal Grady has been working tirelessly and endlessly on this and

Killarney will get a Homeless Shelter, planned for 2018, currently at design stage. This will be supported by Kerry County Council and Dept. of Environment.

Killarney, once again, owes so much to Cllr. Grady.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

It was so good to see this, kerry4sam. It has been much on my mind of late as my landlord needs to sell this house and finding anywhere in Kerry within my means ( pensioner on rent allowance) has proved impossible. Facing eviction is a hard place to be.

Advertisement