Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinicaly dead pregnant woman on life support

Options
  • 18-12-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1217/667564-womanhospital/

It is understood that some family members have asked for her life support machine to be switched off.

Doctors are seeking legal advice regarding the Constitutional position in relation to the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act.

The woman is around 16 weeks pregnant and has another child.

This is going to run and run IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Jesus h christ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Dunno what to say to that. Jesus christ, just awful. My thoughts are with her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Augmerson wrote: »
    Dunno what to say to that. Jesus christ, just awful. My thoughts are with her family.

Ya I'm the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well... that's a noodle scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

terrible news either way,will it be another miracle baby ,funny thing about women as they will give their life to see a new life begin.prayers for all of the family at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

What a horrific situation for a family to be in. There is just no right answer here, either solution is just so sad and tragic.

The girls parents have asked for the life support to be switched off.

I wonder how the father feels ? Do her parents have the final say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If the baby is still able to grow naturally inside her while she is on life support i think they should give the baby every chance to reach full term or as near as

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

If it were me and I was in this situation and presuming I was happy to be pregnant and in a situation where having a child was a goer, I'd like the life support machine to be left on so the baby could live.

There's no right or wrong with this case. The situation is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just goes to show that it's impossible to legislate effectively for such complex things

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's bogus. We give people a choice about whether or not to have organs harvested after they die but we don't give people the choice about whether their bodies can be used as incubators or not.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

cassid wrote: »
    What a horrific situation for a family to be in. There is just no right answer here, either solution is just so sad and tragic.

The girls parents have asked for the life support to be switched off.

I wonder how the father feels ? Do her parents have the final say ?

If she is not married her parents are her next of kin and make end of life decisions like this, even if she is in a relationship.
    This is an awful story, for so many reasons.

Stark wrote: »
    It's bogus. We give people a choice about whether or not to have organs harvested after they die but we don't give people the choice about whether their bodies can be used as incubators or not.

When I was pregnant I discussed this issue with my husband and we agreed I would like the baby to be born even if I would die as a result. That was my choice and thankfully it was never an issue, but I would hate for him to have to make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Jesus. Another shame for us to bear. So now Irish medical services use a woman's body as an incubator against her next of kin's wishes. Probably cheaper than incubators, mind. And self reproducing of course, if the baby is a girl.

The possibilities are endless. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

her poor family.
    I wonder what happened to her.
    The poor father too,on one hand though maybe it gives them hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

What I don't understand, is how this needs to be on the news at this stage.
    Surely the family deserves privacy to deal with this traumatic situation without the media throwing its claws in?
    Likewise, can't the doctors seek legal advice quietly & discreetly?

Surely the family deserves privacy to deal with this traumatic situation without the media throwing its claws in?

Maybe the family want to highlight their predicament. Like Praveen Halappanavar. Maybe they kept getting fobbed off and went public out of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus, what an awful decision to make. Her poor family. I don't know if the baby can survive that situation but if it can survive I can see why they would keep her alive.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Jesus. Another shame for us to bear. So now Irish medical services use a woman's body as an incubator against her next of kin's wishes. Probably cheaper than incubators, mind. And self reproducing of course, if the baby is a girl.

You bear it if you want, but this is something that happens all over the world and the same or similar medico-legal and ethical considerations are taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I would say it's been leaked by the family themselves to bring attention to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Feck awful situation to be in for all concerned. I guess if a healthy baby is the result then it may be for the best but is that possible with the mother clinically dead and the foetus at 16 weeks?

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Feck awful situation to be in for all concerned. I guess if a healthy baby is the result then it may be for the best but is that possible with the mother clinically dead and the foetus at 16 weeks?

Depending on whether or not the foetus is healthy after whatever happened to the mother then the chances of survival increase the longer the mother is kept on life support
    As reported by Slattery et al, a fetus born before 24 weeks of gestation has a limited chance of survival. At 24, 28 and 32 weeks, a fetus has approximately a 20-30%, 80% and 98% likelihood of survival with a 40%, 10% and less than 2% chance of suffering from a severe handicap.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1741-7015-8-74.pdf

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can't say I agree. At 16 weeks they would be using the mother as a life support system, not an incubator. There's nothing to suggest that the woman had any plans other than to bring the child to term, so yeah, in my opinion, next of kin's wishes should take a back seat until the mothers wishes have been fulfilled.

Use her as a life support system until the child can be c-sectioned safely, then life support can be turned off. The woman isn't going to be any more or less dead, but it's the difference between life and death for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭tritium

I don't see any shame here. This isn't about abortion. As others have said this same issue would likely arise in pretty much any jurisdiction the only possible difference being how much weight next if kin might have in any decision, and perhaps who is the appropriate person within her immediate family and relationship circle to decide on the future of the child she's carrying

The last thing that this poor lady and her family should have to endure at this time is being co-opted as some sort of standard bearer for the pro-life or pro-choice camps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If the mother was aware of her pregnancy and wanted to bring that baby into this world than that what should be respected here. Legal quagmire though.

tritium wrote: »
    I don't see any shame here. This isn't about abortion. As others have said this same issue would likely arise in pretty much any jurisdiction the only possible difference being how much weight next if kin might have in any decision, and perhaps who is the appropriate person within her immediate family and relationship circle to decide on the future of the child she's carrying

The last thing that this poor lady and her family should have to endure at this time is being co-opted as some sort of standard bearer for the pro-life or pro-choice camps.

I agree it isn't about abortion, but it is about the constitution being used in a way that it was never intended to. This is crazy, and no, I don't think other countries do face this particular issue : the next of kin want the life support switched off. She's clinically dead, so in other countries that should normally be that.

Instead her body is being used against her family's wishes to bring a child into the world - and you can't presume from the fact that she was pregnant that she would still want to bring a motherless child into the world. She thought she was going to become a parent. That isn't the same thing at all.

So since her family want her life support turned off, why shouldn't their wishes be respected? Do we keep other dead bodies on life support against their families wishes so as to harvest their organs to save lives? No we don't. Why should a pregnant woman be used as though she were a life support machine when there is no reason to think she wanted that, and some reason to think she didn't (since her family don't want it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Could raise the issue why (as her next of kin) her parents would have more say than the father of the unborn.
    Terrible for all.

jank wrote: »
    If the mother was aware of her pregnancy and wanted to bring that baby into this world than that what should be respected here. Legal quagmire though.

But she wanted to become a mother, presumably. Not create a child to give to someone else.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

But she wanted to become a mother, presumably. Not create a child to give to someone else.

She wanted to be not braindead too, presumably, but that didn't come to pass. Seeing that her intent was to bring another child into this world, as second choices go, having her child raised by somebody else would likely beat having that child die with her, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

Who will raise this kid? We don't know that anyone wants to. We know that the relatives have asked for life support to be switched off. That would hint that there is no one to raise this child. Horrible situation.

• Advertisement

Instead her body is being used against her family's wishes to bring a child into the world - and you can't presume from the fact that she was pregnant that she would still want to bring a motherless child into the world. She thought she was going to become a parent. That isn't the same thing at all.

At what point would the above argument become redundant in your opinion, if it would at all?

What about a woman involved in an accident or suffering a fatal clot at 32 weeks? Should no attempt be made to save the unborn child unless the mother can also be saved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement