Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minix Neo X8-h plus from Gearbest,€113

Options
  • 12-12-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    The Minix Neo X8-h plus has been released recently and is available from Gearbest, the listed price is $160.00 odd, or by their conversion €124.38, as here:
    http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_117398.html

I contacted Gearbest via Freaktab and spoke to a lovely lady called Anna who gave me a discount coupon, which reduces the price to $146.00, or €113.89 using their conversion rate.

Now, I ordered delivery by standard mail, and there maybe VAT due, but even so, with 23% VAT and handling charge from An Post, I reckon I'll still get it for €147.00which is good compared to local prices of €169ish.

So if I pay customs its a good deal, and if not its a Brucie Bonus!!

The package comes with an M1 airmouse also. for those interested.

You can contact Anna directly at the following mail over the next while and she'll mail you back the discount coupon.
    or a.anna.clemens@gmail.com

Hope this is of use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Panrich

Are these the best of what's available at the minute for this type of box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Panrich wrote: »
    Are these the best of what's available at the minute for this type of box?

They seem to be, I'm not an expert as such, but I've been looking at boxes online for the last few months and Minix, Tronsmart and the MX people seem to be the branded vendors in the space.
    Tronsmart have a box called the draco which has pretty impressive specs, but I read a few posts here and there where punters said they weren't that happy with them.

I was about to plunge for the X8-h until this came along, and the chipset and wireless capability has been upgraded and there's new firmware as well I think, which has improved the performane.

Also Minix seem to give some support which is good in this space, and theres a large Minix community where ROMs etc are developed and made available.
    Also, minix have their own launcher and thir own customised XBMC, which at least means they're researching its uses on the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

coldfire1x wrote: »

That's not the plus, still a decent price as that model is €150 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

coldfire1x wrote: »

Not the "plus" though. That said, I haven't even looked at the specs to compare both but i'd say the differences are insignificant enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Ah... my mistake. The plus version is more expensive on Amazon.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

I got the code too!
    X8HPLG
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

I bought this box when it was previously post about..
    I got it online with Amazon UKwith a UK plug deliver for €140. Mine also came with a controller.

XBMC with a fusion installed (how to setup a fusion and its associated repository is shown on You Tube)
    The repositories give you all the streaming links
    So far I have watch most 2014 films, 85/95 excellent quality as good as your TV, the rest may have Korean subtitles or the odd pop saying the this is a promotional copy.
    It will also give you links to BT sport and Sky Sports, the quality varies, as I have a big TV it can pixelate a little reducing the quality.

You can also add any android apps for gmail, facebook or Mobdro for sports.

Gearbest have a new promotional code for the MINI X8-H PLUS , it's $149.99 with the coupon MX8HPCN which is about €122, Customs are obviously a risk, but the local sellers seem to be about €169, so you should still save a few euros's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eletiskd33

thank you so much for sharing the coupon. I'm not sure what's different in the "Plus" version??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

The differences can be found on the minix homepage if I recall correctly.
    I got one of these before the Christmas and got hit with customs for 31.23 Eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ehhhhhhhh..

what

emIe7Rx.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

Is there Free TV with that???:D

Can't really see the advantage of this over this product that I just got from the same site for €25 including delivery, except for more RAM and a remote? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

I think the specs are obviously a lot better on the Minix, and it has 'xbmc' pre loaded, which is excellent for free movies, sports stc.
    I'm sure the one in your link is good, but for smoothness, ease of use, ability to add/remove programs, the minix has to come out on top.

mydogjack wrote: »
    I think the specs are obviously a lot better on the Minix, and it has 'xbmc' pre loaded, which is excellent for free movies, sports stc.
    I'm sure the one in your link is good, but for smoothness, ease of use, ability to add/remove programs, the minix has to come out on top.
    I also have the MK808B+ as linked. It has xbmc pre loaded too.

It is smooth, easy to use and has a full android install. (the MK808B+ has no remote, so that would have to be factored in)

What other differences are there between the stick (mine) and the box (minix) that are worth the additional cash?

201411191750581593.jpg

I don't see anything in the link about xbmc, it's a pity. That is a big sell, and if it comes pre loaded like you say, they should really advertise it.

201411191750581593.jpg

Found this;

The graphics processor is the same in both. The GPU actually lives on the same chip the CPU does, along with some other stuff, creating what is called a System-on-a-chip.

One is a stickmk808B and one is a box minix neo. Since the box has wired ethernet, and wifi in android devices is almost never fast enough for 1080 content (or even some 720 content, depending on the device), I would go for the box over the stick.

Found this;

The graphics processor is the same in both. The GPU actually lives on the same chip the CPU does, along with some other stuff, creating what is called a System-on-a-chip.

One is a stickmk808B and one is a box minix neo. Since the box has wired ethernet, and wifi in android devices is almost never fast enough for 1080 content (or even some 720 content, depending on the device), I would go for the box over the stick.

If the connection is the limiting factor, then you can use an ethernet adapter. The cheaper one seems fine with 720p though, haven't tested 1080 yet.

Main benefit of the cheaper one is of course the cost, and you don't get stung by customs/vatman on top of it, as it comes under the threshold. If even came with an eu > ireland power plug adapter which I thought was pretty good.

I'm currently controlling mine with a mouse and keyboard connected to it, although I also have an app on my phone, and you can use an air mouse if you have one.

Just thought I'd let people know before spending big on this box.

There's a thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057341412

• Advertisement

Yeah, the price is unbelievable really. Good find OP.

Found this;

The Graphics chip isn't the same in both, The Minix has an S812 A9 Chipset with a Mali 450 Octocore GPU.The mk808B plus has an S805 A5 chipset with a Mali 450 Quadcore GPU.

Chipset details here http://www.vipstech.com/industry-news/amlogic-s802-805-812-which-match-your-requirements.html

The main differences that this makes is that the Minix can decode multiformat video up to 24K2K, whereas the Stick can only do this up to 1080p.(And is rumoured to run very hot when playing 1080p for any long period of time)
    The other difference is that the s812 chip supports Gigabit LAN whereas the stick, although the chip is capable, is I think, limited to 100Mb.

For me though, there are many other benefits, Double the Rom, Double the RAM, and its the faster eMMC as opposed to the slower NAND, AC wireless as opposed to b/g/n,Android boxes are notorious for having flakey wireless, and Minix have addressed this by firstly providing AC and secondly by providing the external antenna, 3 USB ports means I can leave a keyboard, external HD/NAS and a Skype camera permanently connected, the SPIDF output also means I can stream video to my TV while at the same time run the audio out over my home theatre system.

Minix and tronsmart, are the main named brands in this area, and Minix tend to offer support in terms of firmware upgrades etc, and there is a large and growing community to turn to on the Minix and Freaktab forums.

The way I see it, the Minix is an ideal component for a home theatre setup to run 1080p + video streams, in all digital and audio formats through a myriad of interfaces and large screens.

The stick is fine to make a TV that isnt smart, smart.

The Graphics chip isn't the same in both, The Minix has an S812 A9 Chipset with a Mali 450 Octocore GPU.The mk808B plus has an S805 A5 chipset with a Mali 450 Quadcore GPU.

Chipset details here http://www.vipstech.com/industry-news/amlogic-s802-805-812-which-match-your-requirements.html

The main differences that this makes is that the Minix can decode multiformat video up to 24K2K, whereas the Stick can only do this up to 1080p.(And is rumoured to run very hot when playing 1080p for any long period of time)
    The other difference is that the s812 chip supports Gigabit LAN whereas the stick, although the chip is capable, is I think, limited to 100Mb.

For me though, there are many other benefits, Double the Rom, Double the RAM, and its the faster eMMC as opposed to the slower NAND, AC wireless as opposed to b/g/n,Android boxes are notorious for having flakey wireless, and Minix have addressed this by firstly providing AC and secondly by providing the external antenna, 3 USB ports means I can leave a keyboard, external HD/NAS and a Skype camera permanently connected, the SPIDF output also means I can stream video to my TV while at the same time run the audio out over my home theatre system.

Minix and tronsmart, are the main named brands in this area, and Minix tend to offer support in terms of firmware upgrades etc, and there is a large and growing community to turn to on the Minix and Freaktab forums.

The way I see it, the Minix is an ideal component for a home theatre setup to run 1080p + video streams, in all digital and audio formats through a myriad of interfaces and large screens.

The stick is fine to make a TV that isnt smart, smart.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If you only really want something to run xbmc/netflix/showbox etc then this is overkill.

If you want to set up a decent streaming home theatre centre, then it's a much better option.

Advertisement