Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 3008 tyres - change from 225/50/17 to 225/45/17?

• 08-12-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Any views on changing the tyres on a Peugeot 3008 from 225/50/17 to 225/45/17?

Main reason is price - the 50s are a lot dearer than the 45s.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't understand why people get caught up in saving a few small €s on tyres these are the only thing keeping you on the road.

Do not mix tyres and brands at least have same type x2 on front and if has to be done x2 on rear or so on.

I wouldn't recommend having 3 different types or even 4 for that matter. This will drastically change grip and handling.

Your car is probably the second most expensive thing after a home so look after it and all that are on board.

If car came with and design spec says 50 then do not change as any change can effect car handling and worse.

Look up online tyre dealers you may save a bit there.

I used oponeo and got each tyre wanted for €92 each compared to €140 each in a tyre garage. Yes I had to pay for fitting but still saved a nice bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

It will ride a good bit harder with the lower profile too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for the replies.

@punisher, I agree with most of what you say. I always have the same brand on each axle and I've also used Oponeo and Camskill a number of times.

I opt for what are considered to be good tyres. The last two times I've gone for UniRoyal Rainsports and am looking at Goodyear EfficentGrip next time.

I've seen many threads on here where posters have been mulling over changing sizes but don't recall anyone ever suggesting that car handling would be affected.

@notch, I agree that the ride might be a bit harder but would it be that significant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

At least op you do the right thing and understand just wish others could see the bigger picture also.

Any change from manufacturing specs can alter cars capabilities it may be small in this case but can be a factor.

I have had Uniroyal rain2 and found them to be excellent even when rears were well past it in the wet they never gave up.

Now have rainsport 3 all round.
    Only bad thing is fronts are wearing fast but I can live with that knowing the grip is there when needed and I feel its worth the extra few €.

If you are a small distance and low speed road user then these three woudnt be needed as such but I feel much safer knowing I have good/great grip.

Advertisement