Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on summit of Carrauntoohil cut down with angle grinder (Warning: contains TLAs)

Options
  • 26-11-2014 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

So which one of yiz was it?

329681.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In related news Atheist Ireland have got their two cents in.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/atheist-group-concerned-over-plans-to-restore-carrauntoohill-cross-652405.html

This is another example of not choosing the right battles, imo. You ain't gonna win the hearts and minds of the public moaning about what amounts to a historic cultural sculpture. You just come across as self-seeking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree, said the same to Michael on Twitter (as did others).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dades wrote: »
    what amounts to a historic cultural sculpture.
    i'd agree with you, except on the point above. that cross looks neither historic nor sculptural.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Historic sculpture? It was put up in 1976 and is an eyesore.

This was already discussed in the Hazards thread (and Ongoing Religious Scandals)

As for picking the wrong battles, we've been bowing and scraping to the religionistas so long that they think any diminuition of their right to discriminate against others is discrimination against them. The small vocal hard core can never be won over, but public opinion is shifting, as online reaction to this story has shown. It's not at all unreasonable to question whether religious symbology is appropriate on mountain peaks and the like.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I still can't believe someone managed to take an angle grinder all the way up Carrauntoohil...but I'm less surprised Google Chrome's spellchecker won't recognise it as a word. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, someone else got a large cross all the way up there; an angle grinder was probably easier by comparison.

i'd be curious if this was an act of well planned vandalism for the sake of vandalism, or an act of well planned vandalism for the sake of making a point about ireland's relationship with a patriarchical belief system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm going with 'Grail seekers after a tip off about a hollow crucifix up a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

i'd agree with you, except on the point above. that cross looks neither historic nor sculptural.

Yeah, it's not exactly Cristo Redentor (the guy looking down on Rio), is it?

There's no question that a christian cross should not be dominating such a natural landmark in the first place, though in truth I had no idea it was there.

How to react to this, though, is a different matter, and I'm not sure how to play it, not really knowing the history or the local sensitivities. Maybe what should be suggested is that if people want to put something up there again, it should be like the Spire, something imposing but inclusive. Though if there is talk of re-erecting the cross, objections should be raised in a calm, rational manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Have John Waters and the Ionanists bitched about this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Dades wrote: »
    In related news Atheist Ireland have got their two cents in.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/atheist-group-concerned-over-plans-to-restore-carrauntoohill-cross-652405.html

This is another example of not choosing the right battles, imo. You ain't gonna win the hearts and minds of the public moaning about what amounts to a historic cultural sculpture. You just come across as self-seeking.
    We don't choose battles. We respond proportionately to secular issues as they rise. By far our most significant area of work is secular education. But they are all tied together by human rights law, respect for freedom of conscience, freedom from discrimination, equality before the law etc.

In the last week alone we have taken part in several events to mark the 25th anniversary of the signing of the International Covenant on the Rights of the Child, as well as taking part in a public debate and a television panel discussion.

Just because the media focus on a particular issue more than they do on other issues does not mean that we are picking that issue as a battle. We are dealing with each item as it occurs, and the cumulative impact of everything is what will help to bring about a secular state.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

We don't choose battles. We respond proportionately to secular issues as they rise. By far our most significant area of work is secular education. But they are all tied together by human rights law, respect for freedom of conscience, freedom from discrimination, equality before the law etc.

In the last week alone we have taken part in several events to mark the 25th anniversary of the signing of the International Covenant on the Rights of the Child, as well as taking part in a public debate and a television panel discussion.

Just because the media focus on a particular issue more than they do on other issues does not mean that we are picking that issue as a battle. We are dealing with each item as it occurs, and the cumulative impact of everything is what will help to bring about a secular state.

Since most people will make the assumption that you are speaking for "Irish atheists" aren't you a little concerned that your zero tolerance on non-issues like this and your attempts to ban mass cards and the like drives a wedge between atheists and non-atheists?

fisgon wrote: »
    it should be like the Spire, something imposing but inclusive. Though if there is talk of re-erecting the cross, objections should be raised in a calm, rational manner.
    How is a Christian-pagan obelisk; a symbol of the resurrection in Christianity inclusive???

359ljcg.jpg
    Vatican City

spire-dublin-center-city-18848988.jpg
    Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Since most people will make the assumption that you are speaking for "Irish atheists" aren't you a little concerned that your zero tolerance on non-issues like this and your attempts to ban mass cards and the like drives a wedge between atheists and non-atheists?
    No.

And we have been through the reasons several times in previous threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

How is a Christian-pagan obelisk; a symbol of the resurrection in Christianity inclusive???

Weren't obelisks phallic symbols? Nothing to do with ressurection, just erection.

Links234 wrote: »
    Weren't obelisks phallic symbols? Nothing to do with ressurection, just erection.

Well they were a means of sun god worship for the Ancient Egyptians and this was later co-opted and repackaged by Christianity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well they were a means of sun god worship for the Ancient Egyptians and this was later co-opted and repackaged by Christianity.

So it's just Christianity doing what it does then?

If it isn't obelisks it's celebrations in December or the story of a great flood. Must be so handy to just steal stories and images and claim them as your own all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cabaal wrote: »
    So it's just Christianity doing what it does then?

If it isn't obelisks it's celebrations in December or the story of a great flood. Must be so handy to just steal stories and images and claim them as your own all the time.
    Hate to inject a note of reality, but . . .

While the obelisk in St Peter's square was arguably stolen, it was hardly stolen by Christians or by Christianity.

It was originally erected by an unnamed Pharaoh at Heliopolis, about 2,400 BCE. The original purpose or signficance of this particular obelisk is not known, but Egyptian obelisks generally are thought to have been treated as personifications of the sun-god, and to have marked the entrances to temples.

It was taken from Heliopolis around about the time of Christ on the orders of the Emperor Augustus - not a Christian - and reerected as the centrepiece of the Julian Forum at Alexandria.

From there, it was taken to Rome in 37 CE on the orders of the Emperor Caligula - also not a Christian - and erected as an architectural feature at the centre of the Circus of Nero, which was a little to the south of where St Peter's Basilica now stands.

The Circus became the site of numerous Christian martyrdoms. The tradition that says St. Peter was one of those martyred there is questionable, but the historicity of the martyrdoms generally, and their location, is not in any doubt. The Circus was abandoned in the second century, and over time the neighbouring cemetery spilled into the area, with tombs being erected among the ruins of the circus buildings. Part of the circus was incorporated into the first St Peter's Basilica when it was erected about two hundred years later, but the obelisk stayed where it was for another 1,200 years until the new St Peter's was built, when it was moved from the south side of the Basilica to the east front, to provide the focal point for the plaza.

In so far as the oblelisk has acquired Christian signficance, it is as a "silent witness" to the martyrdom of Peter and the Roman Christian community. It is hardly fair to blame the Christians for this circumstance.

Rome, in fact, has more Egyptian obelisks than any other city in the world, and indeed almost as many as the whole of Egypt today. But they were all brought there in pre-Christian times. Romans of the late republican period were fascinated by Egypt and all things Egyptian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We don't choose battles.

Yeah, that's what he said: you SHOULD choose your battles. By not choosing your battles and responding to every stupid nothing issue that arises, you come off as reactionaries who needn't be taken seriously on other issues. It's daft to not choose your battles, is presumably the point.

When an event like this happens, it's inevitable AI will be asked for a comment. That's actually a good thing. Or would you rather that the Healy-Rae type view is the only one to be heard?

Letter in today's Irish Times:
    Sir, – The comments of Colm O’Brien (“Cross on Carrauntoohil,” November 25th) shows the reality of intolerance now prevalent in society.

Questioning unhindered catholic/christian domination of society = 'intolerance' :rolleyes:

While, I have no wish for a Catholic theocracy; what is so offensive about a structure which you can see only if your up close at it or through the viewing of binoculars? What next: a bill in the Dáil for the removal of all roadway Marian shrines; the Sacred Heart at the Parnell Monument or the Papal Crosses at Phoenix Park and Drogheda? Would Mr O’Brien welcome that? – Is mise, etc,

FR JOHN MCCALLION, CC

Coalisland,

Co Tyrone.

Yes - all of the above mentioned are tacky, tasteless and ugly and should be removed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yeah, that's what he said: you SHOULD choose your battles. By not choosing your battles and responding to every stupid nothing issue that arises, you come off as reactionaries who needn't be taken seriously on other issues. It's daft to not choose your battles, is presumably the point.

Which battles would you suggest?

• Advertisement

When an event like this happens, it's inevitable AI will be asked for a comment. That's actually a good thing. Or would you rather that the Healy-Rae type view is the only one to be heard?
    But who cares? It side tracks the debate into an irrelevance instead of the serious institutional and structural discrimination within the state apparatus and wastes energy and attention on something that simply doesn't matter. It shouldn't be allowed to become a story, surely? So just don't comment and choose more significant battles.

Are you taking the mick? This story was all over the media and internet already and would have been whether AI commented on it or not. If AI would rather talk about education and the Toledo Principles but the media want to ask them about a bloody cross, what can they do? Refuse to comment, and then not get asked again when another issue arises - because that's how the media work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why shouldn't AI have an opinion on this? Everyone else does. Being an atheist organisation after all its not too much of a surprise that AI don't agree with crosses or other religious icons being placed on mountains. What do people expect them to say when asked? :confused:

Personally I don't care either way, its not a place I plan to ever visit so its not really on my radar but it does highlight the wider issue of how religion is represented in society. Crosses etc should only be seen in places of faith, there is absolutely no reason why a cross needs to be on a mountain or why grottos should be in villages or any of that other kind of stuff. My home town has a massive stone cross as you enter which is fine for the Catholics but it doesn't speak for me or represent me or the many other people from that town of other faiths and none. It shouldn't bother me but it does irritate me at times. There is a huge church down the road, by far the biggest building in the entire town ( like in most towns and villages ). Is that not enough?

I am in two minds about this cross being replaced, some of these structures are as much about history as they are about faith and its kinda letting the vandals win but I don't know - crosses on mountains? Seems a bit of religious overkill.

No.

And we have been through the reasons several times in previous threads.
    There is an old sales phrase "win the argument and lose the sale". I would imagine there is a sizable minority if not a majority that would be broadly in line with the secular ideals AI espouse. However, coming out on the front foot for issues like these - profoundly important to some and irrelevant to others - would make you come across as vindictive and petty and turn reasonable people off from your crusade. A little tolerance goes a long way.

I think you need to decide if you want to be influential in societal change or only appeal to the tiny minority of hardline anti-theist who demand zero-tolerance.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My home town has a massive stone cross as you enter which is fine for the Catholics but it doesn't speak for me or represent me or the many other people from that town of other faiths and none..

It doesn't speak to me either, but there again neither does the Millenium Spire or any number of other vacuous, meaningless public art works dotted around the country over the past twenty years to commemorate...something or other...or symbolise...something. I don't wander around with an angle grinder to make my point though.

It doesn't speak to me either, but there again neither does the Millenium Spire or any number of other vacuous, meaningless public art works dotted around the country over the past twenty years to commemorate...something or other...or symbolise...something. I don't wander around with an angle grinder to make my point though.

And what is it that makes you think it was an atheist who did this?

eviltwin wrote: »
    And what is it that makes you think it was an atheist who did this?

I didn't say it was:confused:

I didn't say it was:confused:

Sorry I thought your previous post meant you thought it might have been an act by someone objecting to its presence on the mountain on atheism grounds. I don't think anyone is condoning acts of vandalism are okay but there are enough churches around the place for Catholics to display their crosses.

When an event like this happens, it's inevitable AI will be asked for a comment.
    Why? I didn't vote these people as spokespeople for me. Why are they more qualified to give the atheist perspective than any other atheist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Who says it was an angle grinder? I would have thought, hacksaw.

Advertisement