Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheels for TT bike

• 22-11-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I have a set of shimano c50 that I race on. I will use them for TT as well but thinking of getting something more aero but wondering what would be the recommendation between a set of Planet X 60/90 carbon tubulars, or just get something for the back like a zipp 808 or disc of some kind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What sort of tt's do you do, flat and fast or hilly? More gains to be had in tt helmets,skin suits and position than wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

If the courses are anyway draggy and my Av speed was less than 40kph I would be inclined to use those wheels. (Weight vs aero.) Otherwise I would be inclined to keep the front and try wheel covers for the rear at approx 70 Euro. If you will be alternating racing and TT'ing frequently maybe put the wheel covers on a cheap 30 mm wheel for the TT's and avoid the hassle of fitting and removing the covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rear disc is good unless it's hilly enough that you don't care about aero anyway.

The windier the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Borderfox wrote: »
    What sort of tt's do you do, flat and fast or hilly? More gains to be had in tt helmets,skin suits and position than wheels.

Mostly flat 16km & 40km. There may be the odd uphill one but I'll definitely use the c50s for that or even the road bike. Where can I get wheel covers and are rye allowed in CI TT events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aero-disc-covers.html?&cat=0
    They have a UK supplier which I can't remember right now and google might find for you but it works out at roughly same price. I think they are sensible and worthwhile to start with and if you find your times are in or near the podiums you can spend more money on go faster bits cos you are probably worth it. ;) .

• Advertisement

Suppose what I am debating is whether I would be wasting my time getting and 80 or 90mm rear wheel when I already have the 50? Would I see much benefit? Should I put that 600 euro or so towards a disc or coaching instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

did I see an email yesterday saying there is 20% off planet x wheels until Tuesday?

edit - I did. Use code UKBFWHEELS20 meaning the Planet x 82/82 wheels are working out at 401 euro delivered....

No good to me I need 11 speed. But a great price all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

That code was for all wheels, so these 11spd compatible - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPX6090/planet-x-60-90-carbon-wheelset - are working out about 530 - 540 delivered.

Advertisement