Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone worked for Sierra as subcontractor?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone is currently working for them (or has worked recently) as satellite tv installer? I was wondering if you could share your thoughts or experience with them as employer. Are they decent lot, or are they screwing their subcontractors over?
    Reason for asking is that I've heard very unpleasant, but vague, stories and I would like to either confirm or disregard them. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Bartpabicz wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone is currently working for them (or has worked recently) as satellite tv installer? I was wondering if you could share your thoughts or experience with them as employer. Are they decent lot, or are they screwing their subcontractors over?
    Reason for asking is that I've heard very unpleasant, but vague, stories and I would like to either confirm or disregard them. Thank you in advance

Thankfully no and I never would what you heard is correct, however if you are good at your job, and know what your doing and dont mind long long hrs then you will make a nice enough living, think they pay approx €30 per install..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bartpabicz

steveon wrote: »
    Thankfully no and I never would what you heard is correct, however if you are good at your job, and know what your doing and dont mind long long hrs then you will make a nice enough living, think they pay approx €30 per install..

Thanks for your input mate. It is supposed to be rather hard work.

If anyone else has any other bits of information, please share them. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

sat installer is very tough work,you are out in all kinds of weather ,I did not work for sierra but worked for another company that had a contract with sky .It is ok for the first while but after a time it gets very boring "same thing every day" and very hard to make a living ,For the amount of hard work involved the rewards are very poor

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    sat installer is very tough work,you are out in all kinds of weather ,I did not work for sierra but worked for another company that had a contract with sky .It is ok for the first while but after a time it gets very boring "same thing every day" and very hard to make a living ,For the amount of hard work involved the rewards are very poor

I did the same for a company called USP that did installs for CHORUS-UPC...expected way too much from you, too much mileage and wouldn't accept you didn't have enough time to get through your full days work if you got held up at an awkward house or got stuff in a bad traffic jam etc no matter what you had to get all your work and often extra loads done every day no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bartpabicz

sounds like this whole branch of business has similar drawbacks, no matter who you're working for. Well, thank you for all the information so far, it's all very helpful.

If anyone else would have any more insights, please by all means, post them here. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

steveon wrote: »
    I did the same for a company called USP that did installs for CHORUS-UPC...expected way too much from you, too much mileage and wouldn't accept you didn't have enough time to get through your full days work if you got held up at an awkward house or got stuff in a bad traffic jam etc no matter what you had to get all your work and often extra loads done every day no excuses.

Are USP still in business?

54kroc wrote: »
    Are USP still in business?

Im not sure to be honest, they lost the contract with UPC...a few yrs ago but were still in business doing those alarms using the phones for elderly people the last time I checked but most of my ex colleagues are now either self employed or working with some sky install company..

Advertisement