Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono on a bike.....

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title is misleading - should include the words "no longer", or replace "on" with "falls off":)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

he's also going to update lyrics for "Trying to throw your arms around the world"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Sunday bloody Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Fell off his bike? On a Sunday? Ooh, bloody Sunday!

Woah, beaten to the draw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Should have read ''christ on a bike''

Well he does think he's god after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

No need for a rear light on that bike as He thinks the sun shines out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

rp wrote: »
    he's also going to update lyrics for "Trying to throw your arms around the world"?

Like a fish needs a bicycle?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

gman2k wrote: »
    Like a fish needs a bicycle?
    I was thinking of the "falling on the sidewalk" bit, but yeah, "like Bono needs a bicycle" would work as well. Could be the b-side of the new feed the world single

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he really shouldn't be cycling where the streets have no (cycle) lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

he really shouldn't be cycling where the streets have no (cycle) lanes.

Thats the worst and best pun I have heard in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I hope the bike's all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That's what happens when you "stare at the sun"... He probably feels a bit "numb" today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

fcuk sake lads its not funny, when he fell his sunglasses fell off and he was very confused. However the surgeon has stated that his glasses have been successfully reattached and he is expected to make a full recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can't believe the news today....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

fcuk sake lads its not funny, when he fell his sunglasses fell off and he was very confused. However the surgeon has stated that his glasses have been successfully reattached and he is expected to make a full recovery

I think you mean Bono was successfully reattached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

BON-600x477.jpg

flipped stem, baggy shorts, non cycling eye-wear, non regulation bidon....... get that superstar a copy of the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

On a serious note anyone know what bike he rides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Seeing as it's outside his front door I wonder what his Strava on Vico Road Killiney is ? :D

**Sorry for a Daily Fail Link ** but he is a bit more Euro in this pic from his South of France Home.
    1405709308689_wps_1_EXCLUSIVE_Bono_and_wife_A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

BON-600x477.jpg

flipped stem, baggy shorts, non cycling eye-wear, non regulation bidon....... get that superstar a copy of the rules

And a pie plate.

Thread should be called 'Bono OFF a bike'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

Apparently he was heard shouting Achtung Baby as someone stepped out in front of him, and ended up stuck in a moment and he couldn't get out of it.......I'll get me coat !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I still haven't found the brakes I'm looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycling to a standstill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

BON-600x477.jpg

Added to "Images of ugly".

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Maybe he cycled to close to the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

BON-600x477.jpg

Cringe! How's does superstar cool get it soooo wrong.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Following surgery, Bono's hands are tied, his bodies bruised. He's got nothing to win and nothing left to lose.

And all you guys sit around and poke fun? Did he disappoint you? Leave a bad taste in your mouth? You act like you never had love (of cycling), and want him to go without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There's a lot of critisism regarding his attire and set up.

In fairness though, he's just a dude on a bike doing his thing. If he was fully kitted in accordance with "the rules" he'd look an even bigger walt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

He must have picked up the cycling buzz when U2 moved to the Netherlands.

Beterschap Bono!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

The unforgettable tire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

So are Specialized going to sue him for drawing attention to the fact you can fall off one of their bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No details from Bonio about the circumstances of the accident?
    Sounds like the classic "keeling over while coming to a standstill when wearing cool new clipless pedal shoes" followed by the "slink away before anyone asks what happened" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stay-on-your-bike-bono-despite-the-fall-1.2004517

A whole article covering Bono's fall and a summary of the risks and benefits of cycling, and not one mention of a helmet. Huzzah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Last week the arse fell out of Bono's private Lear jet mid-flight and his luggage gets sucked out over Germany.

This week he falls off his bike in NY.

They say bad luck runs in threes.

buffalo wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stay-on-your-bike-bono-despite-the-fall-1.2004517

A whole article covering Bono's fall and a summary of the risks and benefits of cycling, and not one mention of a helmet. Huzzah!

Or hi-vis. Huzzoh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

Ah lads. That's so cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Could well be a mechanical that caused the spill, it's likely the bike was a Lemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Hope he makes a fast recovery.

What are the chances of this being another Strava related crash in New York?

Joking aside, that does sound like a horrible accident. I'm struggling to understand what could have happened. The injuries would be the kind of thing you might see from a crash in a bunch sprint, or a descent gone wrong, not a training spin around city streets. Maybe the other cyclist was travelling at right angles and they collided? Hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you imagine his thoughts when he realised that the accident was inevitable? talk about being stuck in a moment you can't get out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Sounds nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It does sound very nasty. So many injuries, plus a compound fracture of the arm, does suggest a high energy impact in cycling terms. Mind you, I know of a guy who got a very serious leg injury falling off a skateboard on the flat, and he has been in recovery for three years. So bad luck (and bone density?) may play a part.
    Back on your bike Bono, the injury risks are well worth it

First the tail of his private jet comes off as it lands in Berlin and then days later he comes a cropper while cycling through New York's Central Park.

If he believes that bad-things-happen-in-threes thing then he’s sure to be looking over his shoulder today.

But he should be able to take some comfort from the fact that he's not alone. The last decade has seen the rise of the Mamil (Middle-aged Men in Lycra) and cycling has now taken over from golf as the most common pursuit among middle-aged men in many countries, including Ireland.

While it [cycling] is undoubtedly a far better activity, the risk of injury is ever present. Many parts of the developed world have reported a spike in the Mamils showing up in with injuries sustained in bike falls in recent years.

One survey published in Australia earlier this year found that the number of serious injury claims being made by 40 and 50-something men had jumped by 300% in just 10 years, with that cohort now needing more treatment for bike falls down any other group.

Conor Pope, Irish Times, 18th November

One survey published in Australia earlier this year found that the number of serious injury claims being made by 40 and 50-something men had jumped by 300% in just 10 years, with that cohort now needing more treatment for bike falls down any other group.

Conor Pope, Irish Times, 18th November

Hmm... I'm no statistigician but that sentence doesn't add up. Serious injuries have jumped by 300% in 10 years.
    300% is how many?
    Serious injuries from what? The article would suggest it is bike related injuries, but the sentence doesn't say that. The article says that:
    "that cohort (40-60 year old men) now needing more treatment for bike falls down any other group"

"Down any other group"? That doesn't say what I think they are trying to express. I am confused.

Also, how could the injury rate shoot up in Oz if they have compulsory.... *must bite tongue*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"...than any other group."

I missed that typo.

Also I searched for the Australian survey but could not find it.

check_six wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm statistigician
    you're a cross between a statistician and a magician?

you're a cross between a statistician and a magician?

Hmm, probably should have put a "no" in there. That's the problem with criticizing misprints or garbled grammar, you're only ever a keystroke from disaster yourself!

I'm more of a cross between an illusionist and an accountant, maybe?

(nb. I am neither of these professions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Poor guy is ****ed according to the Irish Times: shatter collar bone, compound fracture of the humerus, broken finger, bruised face, fractured orbital. Goes to show you how dangerous so-called multi use bike paths are.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Poor guy is ****ed according to the Irish Times: shatter collar bone, compound fracture of the humerus, broken finger, bruised face, fractured orbital. Goes to show you how dangerous so-called multi use bike paths are.
    Is that all? Should be back on a turbo within a week or two, and hopefully up for racing by the start of next season then ....;)

(otherwise he can go on the wimp list)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I suspect his home gym isn't a patch on yours, Beasty :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement