Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No christening. Family issues

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wasn't baptised.

Starting in about 94 I went to an ET primary school in Glasnevin (NDNSP). For communion about half the class went to a separate room with another teacher to do the relevant preparations. We carried on as normal.
    When I was 9 we moved to France and that has a completely secular education system so it obviously didn't matter there.

When we came back, we applied for me to go to Christians in Cork City - my dad went there and that's usually more or less a guarantee of getting in.
    They ignored my application - I had N/A on date of baptism.

Instead I went to Colaiste Choilm, which was a fantastic school.
    We probably would've chosen that anyway, even if I had been accepted into Christians. I think my parents applied there for a laugh more than anything. Neither thought much of the place.

At school it didn't matter that I wasn't baptised - people by and large didn't give a ****. Some were surprised, but only by the novelty of it. I doubt it has gotten any less tolerant.

It's only going to become more and more normalised over the next 5-15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I think you should tell your relatives to fcuk off OP, in exactly that language.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I feel that would be unnecessarily combative and would put my husband into a very awkward position. I have too much respect for him to speak to any of his relatives like that. So hopefully we will be able to get our point across in a kind way but one that leaves no doubt that it won't be done.

Advertisement