Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Tourism- me oul Shillelaley;)

Options
  • 29-10-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Please move Mods if in wrong thread,Down enjoying scenery on 'Ring of Kerry' at mo with family,have never been down to Kerry before and while the scenery is outstanding they fairly know how to charge for food,'souvenirs' etc.
    Would be from a very scenic part of Mayo myself but we are in the dark ages compared to down here for exploiting tourists (which I abhor by the way)...good eg,staying in Killarney and in the good pubs offering pub grub your avg dish eg steak is 3 or 4 euro dearer than even likes of Galway city!
    We just stopped there in a 'quaint' coffee shop in a village,got the young lad a one scoop ice cream,2 cups of tea and 2 yellow snack bars and it came to 10 euro FFS!....
    Don't get me wrong the scenery,accom etc is lovely but it's all a bit 'stage' Irish to me and would say a lot of tourists head home happy but v light in pocket,
    PS- before a horde of proud Kerry people come on defending their homeland,my point is just that their business people might be killing the golden goose.
    Personally I have travelled the world,stayed in accom from dire hostels to 4 star hotels so know the value of a holiday budget and know that it
    means a lot more to give a tip to someone in a country like India or Cambodia where the whole family might be fed for a few days from it,than by giving a tip in a restaurant in England as an eg.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sure isn't that what its all about,smile in their face while you have both hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Please move Mods if in wrong thread,Down enjoying scenery on 'Ring of Kerry' at mo with family,have never been down to Kerry before and while the scenery is outstanding they fairly know how to charge for food,'souvenirs' etc.
    Would be from a very scenic part of Mayo myself but we are in the dark ages compared to down here for exploiting tourists (which I abhor by the way)...good eg,staying in Killarney and in the good pubs offering pub grub your avg dish eg steak is 3 or 4 euro dearer than even likes of Galway city!
    We just stopped there in a 'quaint' coffee shop in a village,got the young lad a one scoop ice cream,2 cups of tea and 2 yellow snack bars and it came to 10 euro FFS!....
    Don't get me wrong the scenery,accom etc is lovely but it's all a bit 'stage' Irish to me and would say a lot of tourists head home happy but v light in pocket,
    PS- before a horde of proud Kerry people come on defending their homeland,my point is just that their business people might be killing the golden goose.
    Personally I have travelled the world,stayed in accom from dire hostels to 4 star hotels so know the value of a holiday budget and know that it
    means a lot more to give a tip to someone in a country like India or Cambodia where the whole family might be fed for a few days from it,than by giving a tip in a restaurant in England as an eg.

Use tripadvisor and check price before you go in anywhere, there is no incentive to reduce prices if tourist keep paying the prices. I have to say I did not find Kerry particularly expensive, there is a lot of competition for the places to eat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm from Kerry and it is a total and utter disgrace in that us a locals get fleeced every bit as much as the tourists. Anywhere around Killarney will see you get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Don't bother going to Kerry tis all show.
    Come away down to West Cork and we'll look after ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Next time, bring your own snack bars, food and drink and have a picnic, cut out the quaint aka rip off businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

OP- that's Killarney for you. They - imo - are the most shamelessly money-hungry shower I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Remember how they wanted Queen Elizabeth to come visit the town a few years ago and the galling pandering to H.M. to grace them with her presence, so that Killarney would get more media exposure. I was talking to some of the locals and I asked if they were embarrassed by their town council's grovelling and the reply I got was "well, if it'll bring more money to the town"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If there was some way we could jettison Kerry half way out across the Atlantic, the country would be a lot better off. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Up around the border between the OP's neck of the woods and mine they're still milking a few shillings out of aincient yanks by clinging on to the last vestiges of that bloody awful shíte The Quiet Man.

It makes me puke. You'd think they'd try and come up with something more imaginative at this stage than a 62 year old paddywhackery jiggerypolery film.

I wonder how many Americans visiting Ireland today have even heard of it?

I'm just hoping that when Maurenn O'Hara eventually shuffles off, they'll take down all the signposts for Quiet Man this and Quiet Man that and come up with something more contemporary, and less Oh Beggoragh to attract visitor to what is a beautiful part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

one scoop ice cream,2 cups of tea and 2 yellow snack bars for a tenner doesnt sound a massive ripoff. a cup of tea in a sitdown place could €3 so that is €6. the snack bars are a euro each so that is €8 in total. add an ice cream on top and you're pretty much at a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

The Wild Atlantic Way seemed to be doing good business the last time I was back there.
    Along the coast that is, something is needed for the inland places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In the Gap of Dunloe.

How much for a Donkey ride?

£20!

I don't want to buy it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was thinking about this, all tourist areas have an element of fleece the tourists with a bit of cop on you should be able to avoided it, for example in Venice having a coffee in any of the famous squares is rip off so don't do it or in Barcelona most of the restaurants on las ramblas are tourist traps so don't eat there.

Killarney is an expensive tourist destination and markets its self as such ( the five star hotels ) its not aiming to get the cost conscious tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

a one scoop ice cream,2 cups of tea and 2 yellow snack bars and it came to 10 euro FFS!....

That seems a perfectly reasonable price to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

OP- that's Killarney for you. They - imo - are the most shamelessly money-hungry shower I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Remember how they wanted Queen Elizabeth to come visit the town a few years ago and the galling pandering to H.M. to grace them with her presence, so that Killarney would get more media exposure. I was talking to some of the locals and I asked if they were embarrassed by their town council's grovelling and the reply I got was "well, if it'll bring more money to the town"

Why would they be embarrassed with their council trying to promote their town and bring more money into the local community. That is a stupid mentality to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Should have gone to Tralee, cheaper accommodation too. Not half as pretty as Killarney though.

Killarney is the second most visited place in Ireland I believe. They are built for the mass tourist market and the prices show it. Should have gone for coffee in Muckross house it would have been cheaper.

€20 for a jarvey in molls gap sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Tourism fleecing 101 - if you can see anything worth seeing from where you are looking to eat, you are going to be charged an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

How much do you think you'd have paid for that in Temple Bar??? €10 doesn't sound like a rip-off to me.....what would you class as a reasonable price for 2 teas, snack bars and ice cream?

IMO most places would charge at least €3.50 for a kids dessert, add €5 for the teas, makes the snack bars sound cheap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was thinking about this, all tourist areas have an element of fleece the tourists with a bit of cop on you should be able to avoided it, for example in Venice having a coffee in any of the famous squares is rip off so don't do it or in Barcelona most of the restaurants on las ramblas are tourist traps so don't eat there.

Killarney is an expensive tourist destination and markets its self as such ( the five star hotels ) its not aiming to get the cost conscious tourist.

Or in my case, I would say do it.

You could of course save yourself a euro or two or even three and sit in a dark coffee shop off the beaten track, talking about how you'd saved a quid, I'd prefer to spend a fiver on a coffee in St Marks square or €8 or €10 for a beer sitting on La Ramblas.

You've spent a good few quid to get there, on flights, accommodation etc, a couple of extra euros for a beer or a coffee in a great location, watching it all pass by you is one of the reasons you go to places like this.

If you were there every weekend then don't do it, but lots of these places are once off visits, so why try and scrimp, just soak it up.

That's why Temple Bar is always jammed with people who don't give a toss about spending an extra 20 or 30 on a night out. It's full of tourists, not full of locals who know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lapin wrote: »
    Up around the border between the OP's neck of the woods and mine they're still milking a few shillings out of aincient yanks by clinging on to the last vestiges of that bloody awful shíte The Quiet Man.

It makes me puke. You'd think they'd try and come up with something more imaginative at this stage than a 62 year old paddywhackery jiggerypolery film.

I wonder how many Americans visiting Ireland today have even heard of it?

I'm just hoping that when Maurenn O'Hara eventually shuffles off, they'll take down all the signposts for Quiet Man this and Quiet Man that and come up with something more contemporary, and less Oh Beggoragh to attract visitor to what is a beautiful part of the world.

There's a statue of Maureen O'Hara in Kells, Co. Meath because her dad was born there. More band wagon jumping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Don't bother going to Kerry tis all show.
    Come away down to West Cork and we'll look after ya. ;)

cork, lol, if ya can understand them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

sheesh wrote: »
    Should have gone to Tralee, cheaper accommodation too. Not half as pretty as Killarney though.

Killarney is the second most visited place in Ireland I believe. They are built for the mass tourist market and the prices show it. Should have gone for coffee in Muckross house it would have been cheaper.

€20 for a jarvey in molls gap sounds reasonable.

i was on Inish- something or other earlier in the year and it was e30 for a jarvey around the island. There were 4 of us so not too bad

Beano wrote: »
    one scoop ice cream,2 cups of tea and 2 yellow snack bars for a tenner doesnt sound a massive ripoff. a cup of tea in a sitdown place could €3 so that is €6. the snack bars are a euro each so that is €8 in total. add an ice cream on top and you're pretty much at a tenner.

Wherever you get your tea for 3 euro, you should ask for your money back. :D

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Wherever you get your tea for 3 euro, you should ask for your money back. :D

and why is that?

Beano wrote: »
    and why is that?

That's a rip off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Well to the poster who said a child's dessert should be 3:50...you must be an ice cream purveyor!...it was a single scoop of ice cream,not looking out on a beautiful vista but a village St not unlike Knock up our way with the shameless selling of souvenirs and 'Aran ' sweaters ( in wrong Co may I add;)
    Re price of same,2 snacks should be max 2:20,2 cups of tea 4:40 and ice cream was 2 euro so with my maths that's 8:60 with plenty of profit for a coffee shop in a scenic back of beyonds spot
    Unrealistic to compare that with Temple Bar which is haven for any tourist to walk or stumble through while in Dublin.
    Main thrust of my post was the good tourist people of Kerry in general fairly milk the market for all its worth.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    That's a rip off!!

you'd fit in well over there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Killarney and West Cork well overpriced tourist traps. Donegal on the other hand we found to be great value, wonderful scenic walks and great fresh seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They have a wolfhound and roundtower in the crest.

More apt to have a hand over a fist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

You can find cheaper places in Killarney but it's pricey enough in general. As someone above mentioned, Donegal is far more reasonable and has nice scenery also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP I see you mentioned Galway, I would lump Clifden in County Galway along with Killarney as a tourist rip off town too. My favourite Kerry town is Listowel, probably because the All Ireland fleadh was there a few times, but that place has a lot of character and is worth checking out.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement