Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine

Options
  • 17-10-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

What would be an acceptable time period for a landlord to fix a washing machine?

Reported to him the issue 6 working days ago and still no sign of it getting fixed. I have texted him asking for updates and he just replies that he is chasing the engineer.

Thing is I diagnosed the problem and sourced the part thats broken. Could have had the part delivered in 3 days ago.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Outline what you've said here in a letter to him and give him a week to rectify. Say if it's not fixed by then you'll have it fixed yourself and send him the bill. That'll get him moving sharpish.

Most professional landlords have a handiman they turn to for jobs like this and get a discounted rate so don't want to be hit with a full rate for a simple repair job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Really should be same day or next day for someone to look at it.

Then same day fix or next day or 2 for a replacement.

Is it a new machine? Only thing I could think of is if it is new and under warranty ll could be chasing manufacturer technician to look at it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭ted1

garhjw wrote: »

Is it a new machine? Only thing I could think of is if it is new and under warranty ll could be chasing manufacturer technician to look at it.....

That's not a reasonable time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Totally unrealistic.

mikom wrote: »
    Totally unrealistic.

No it's not, that's how I deal with my tenants

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    That's not a reasonable time.

What isn't reasonable?

What isn't reasonable?

The sane day of the next day isn't a reasonable time

The sane day of the next day isn't a reasonable time

What is reasonable in your opinion then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No it's not, that's how I deal with my tenants

If thats how you deal with tenants then fair play to you. It isn't normal though. If I knew my ll was like that I would happily pay +~5% rent compared to the average ll.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dialemma

I'm a LL I would aim to have sorted within two days, either fixed or replaced. If under warranty then techs normally call the next day. If a new one needed then order and arrange delivery ASAP to suit lodgers availability.

• Advertisement

dialemma wrote: »
    I'm a LL I would aim to have sorted within two days, either fixed or replaced. If under warranty then techs normally call the next day. If a new one needed then order and arrange delivery ASAP to suit lodgers availability.

I'm a landlord too. If I get a call in the afternoon I could be at work, then when I get a chance to look up someone up to come and look at it they mightn't be free for a day or two , and they have to give a quote so I need to think I'd it worthwhile getting fixed it just replacing. I also have to think was it due to poor maintenance on behalf of the tenant, did they fail to clean out the lint draw, is the outlet blocked etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I work closely with a landlord..rent colection..handy jobs etc...if someone has a problem with a fridge or a washing machine it is acted on straight away. His attitude is, if it was in his own home it would be either fixed or replaced immediately or his wife would kill him. He says his wife doesnt pay the mortgage the tenants do therefore he would do it faster for them A good business ethic. 6 days is laziness, incompetence and shows a lack of respect for you as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

I would replaced it immediately, and sent the faulty unit off for a service, Having said that I have a spare in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm a landlord too. If I get a call in the afternoon I could be at work, then when I get a chance to look up someone up to come and look at it they mightn't be free for a day or two , and they have to give a quote so I need to think I'd it worthwhile getting fixed it just replacing. I also have to think was it due to poor maintenance on behalf of the tenant, did they fail to clean out the lint draw, is the outlet blocked etc ?

When you say you need to think about whether it's due to poor maintenance on behalf of the tenants, what exactly does that mean? Surely you still have to arrange an engineer just as quickly whether it is due to wear and tear or neglect.

I can't help imagining you sitting in an arm chair with a pipe ruminating on the problem. How could the cause be determined without yourself or an engineer taking a look? And how could the cause influence the speed with which you get it repaired?

And how could the cause influence the speed with which you get it repaired?

Because if it's broke by the tenant, it'll be up to them as a tenant. Or if it's a 3 year old machine I have to think would it be better to replace the machine outright or pay for a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

[quote="ted1;92666923 beause if it's broke by the tenant, it'll be up to them as a tenant. Or if it's a 3 year old machine I have to think would it be better to replace the machine outright or pay for a repair.[/quote]

Yeah fair enough once you know the cause. Still need to have it see by a professional or yourself to have it diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

I recently reported a faulty Normende washing machine under manufacturers warranty and it took three working days for a repair man to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

fastrac wrote: »
    I recently reported a faulty Normende washing machine under manufacturers warranty and it took three working days for a repair man to call.

That's the issue with warranty repairs, I used to work for a retailer and the different manufacturers had different days for service engineers in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

It was replaced a full week later with a new one.

Cant really complain about that I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Have a fridge problem, fridge is not cool, not enough anyway and the freezer seems to be working fine.
    I've looked as best I can as the back is enclosed but at the bottom there appears to be only one set of pipes going out and one set returning (that I can see).At least to the compressor, one thinner one and one thicker one.

I took out the thermostat and checked it, seems to work as when cooled the circuit breaks.

I was told this could be a refrigerant problem, just trying to clarify this and decide if its worthwhile at all, as I cant see how it might be the refrigerant if the fridge is not working when the freezer is.

Its relatively new, but outside warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

might need some gassing up

might need some gassing up
    Straight forward enough for someone two do that has the equipment? I was told by one guy not to bother re gassing? He said it's not worth it? Seems like a viable thing to get done,again he said not many do it.
    What could cause this if it is the problem? Out of curiosity? How much two get done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

cerastes wrote: »
    Straight forward enough for someone two do that has the equipment? I was told by one guy not to bother re gassing? He said it's not worth it? Seems like a viable thing to get done,again he said not many do it.
    What could cause this if it is the problem? Out of curiosity? How much two get done?

I had a similar issue last year and was quoted 200 euro. Ended up replacing it instead as it was 10 years old

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I just tossed a Samsung- it was under 5 years, but labour is only 2 years. The labour I was quoted for a callout was 250- which is within an asses roar of what a new unit costs- so I bought a new one instead.

Aldo makes you wonder where did the gas go? If there's a leak its a temp solution

Aldo makes you wonder where did the gas go? If there's a leak its a temp solution

Thats true, could get it filled and end up still at square one, the thing is, the freezer is fine?

Advertisement