Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's headset do you use?

• 08-10-2014 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

OK so my wireless ex-05 headset packed it in last week and I have been on the lookout for a new headset. I don't want wireless as it became a pain whenever the battery died and also interference from the baby monitor freaked the lads out a few times!

Last week I bought a tritton ax 180 wired from GameStop and they are horrible. I knew when I was getting them that I should just put more cash towards what I was spending but I was silly! I can hear a hiss over the headset whenever I'm in game and they are only stereo. While I was playing today, I noticed a rattling in one of the ear pieces so GameStop will be taking them back, probably for store credit as I won't be getting the same set.

So with my 70 credit and probably putting another 50-60 towards it, can anyone recommend a good headset? 5.1 or 7.1 with a mic and preferably not USB I think!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

G35 Logitech Headset. Using it for a few years and hasn't done me wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

G35 here too, great sound but not very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Free Standing Logitech USB Mic and Sennheiser Head Phones.

Using them for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Free Standing Logitech USB Mic and Sennheiser Head Phones.

Using them for years.

Sennheiser headset probably the guts of 200 euro? Wouldn't be allowed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Don't buy hardware in Gamestop, crap selection and high prices aren't a happy mix.

I'm using a Sennheiser PC350 headset at the moment.

On the cheaper side of things I've read decent things about these but haven't tried them myself: Roccat Kave Solid 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I am using the Sennheiser PC 363D headset. Incredibly comfortable and fantastic sound detail. However, a decent sound card is a must to really get the benefit, alternatively a good quality modern motherboard for your PC will also provide great sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had a good soundcard from about 10 years ago one of the X-Fi ones, I presume any of the modern onboard sound would have surpassed that now?

Skerries wrote: »
    I had a good soundcard from about 10 years ago one of the X-Fi ones, I presume any of the modern onboard sound would have surpassed that now?

For most purposes yeah. It's only if you want unusual outputs or are feeding some very good speakers that you might consider other options these days. With the caveat that in some systems, e.g. SLI ones, there can be a lot of electrical interference inside that messes with some onboard and PCI cards if you're unlucky.

nesf wrote: »
    For most purposes yeah. It's only if you want unusual outputs or are feeding some very good speakers that you might consider other options these days. With the caveat that in some systems, e.g. SLI ones, there can be a lot of electrical interference inside that messes with some onboard and PCI cards if you're unlucky.

would this be like a whirring sound? i get that, its like the speakers/headset are picking up on the mouse movement. My tv came with a magnetic clip for the wires which supposedly cuts out a lot of interferance, i must try it out on my PC!

I am assuming that the whirring sound i am getting is coming from the USB port and not the audio out, mic in ports!

Mobo model!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colinmac

Logitech G930

• Advertisement

would this be like a whirring sound? i get that, its like the speakers/headset are picking up on the mouse movement. My tv came with a magnetic clip for the wires which supposedly cuts out a lot of interferance, i must try it out on my PC!

I am assuming that the whirring sound i am getting is coming from the USB port and not the audio out, mic in ports!

I used to know if my GPUs were being pushed hard by the clicks, pops and the hum in the game audio. I don't know all the way interference would mess with sound however.

Skerries wrote: »

More detail, a bunch of alternative solutions vs onboard: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/66186-asus-xonar-u7-7-1-usb-sound-card-review-5.html

They're synthetic tests. No surprise, music will be more accurate through moderately more expensive solutions but you're talking about inaccuracy that you'll never notice in games or movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphones and a Zalman Zm-Mic1 here.

If I was in your position I'd go for a pair of AKG K550 and either the Zalman mic or something like the Antlion ModMic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

AKG Q701s here, with a Zalman mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

colinmac wrote: »
    Logitech G930

What's the battery life like on them before you have to charge it on a dock?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

gizmo wrote: »

If I was in your position I'd go for a pair of AKG K550 and either the Zalman mic or something like the Antlion ModMic.

Cheers for the ModMic link! I used to use Turtle Beach X12s but haven't touched it since getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and a DAC. Was wondering what to do for a mic solution though, ModMic looks perfect.

If I didn't have the Sennheiser's already, I'd probably go the above route. Unless I wanted actual (as opposed to virtual) 7.1 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I used to have a set of Plantronics 780's. They had great sound, some of the best I've heard. Sadly they pressed just in front of my ears on both sides until they were too uncomfortable to use any more. Girlfriend uses them now with no complaints.

So I'm currently using Sennheiser HD558 and a Samson Meteor microphone.
    The sound is great and the headphones are very comfortable.
    I also like that I can use my mic without needing my headphones around my neck.

Cravez wrote: »
    What's the battery life like on them before you have to charge it on a dock?

I'd generally get about 8-9 hours out of it, depending on what I'm playing.
    It doesn't have a dock though, just micro-USB to charge so basically when it is running low I plug it in and keep going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Steelseries Siberia v2's,best feature being how comfortable they are. Sound is good and built in mic is decent quality as well. Quite happy with them.

www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-057-ST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

G930

So I'm now considering a turtle beach z60, anyone any experience?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-z60/496

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I use Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A.

Comfortable and work great with my 10 year old surround sound card/system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Logitech G430. Not too shabby, although I suspect the USB interface probably creates a little background noise. Still, good range, 7.1 surround sound and quite comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Overheal wrote: »
    G930

A few people have said these. I actually bought a pair last week and I really love them! I can't really comment on battery life, but they have a usb dock thing that the charging cable wraps around to keep it neat and if the battery is going you can just unravel and connect while playing.

I bought it "Used - Like new" on Amazon a good £20-30 cheaper... the box was a little bashed but the headset really looked barely used. Cost me about €85 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I bought new because the warranty is fantastic on these.

Overheal wrote: »
    I bought new because the warranty is fantastic on these.

Yeah - customer support is awesome. Had the sound go in one side, and a new one was shipped out to me in about 3-4 days, didn't even have to return the dodgy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

EoinHef wrote: »
    Steelseries Siberia v2's,best feature being how comfortable they are. Sound is good and built in mic is decent quality as well. Quite happy with them.

This is what I use, would recommend any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sennheiser headset probably the guts of 200 euro? Wouldn't be allowed :p

Go with what suits, firm believer in decent headphones with free standing mic are better than any headset on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Go with what suits, firm believer in decent headphones with free standing mic are better than any headset on the market.
    Pound for pound I'd wager that's nearly objectively true. While the gaming headset may be a bit handier due to the integrated mic, I'd consider the increased audio fidelity and flexibility of the separate components to be the wiser choice.

As you said though, go with whatever suits you better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »

The drivers in them are some of the best you can buy, plus they are so comfortable.

I went from them to a pair of 5.1 Roccat Kaves. I don't like them, they are uncomfortable for long periods and the sound is inconsistent through the 5.1 setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Steelseries siberia v2

Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

While the gaming headset may be a bit handier due to the integrated mic,

I find this to not be true at all. If you want to use your mic you pretty much HAVE to wear your headphones. If I'm browsing the internet while connected to TS (Which I usually am) then with a headset the audio is really crappy for anyone I'm talking to.

I picked up the turtle beach z60's and am very very happy with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just moving to pc I have astro a50 are there better than the astroon the market for pc only?

• Advertisement
Advertisement