Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has the Jeannie Johnston gone???

Options
  • 08-10-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just watched as the Jeannie Johnston famine ship was towed down the river Liffey, where it has been docked for years! Where has it been moved and is it coming back???! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

According to the JJ Facebook page, she's being dry docked for two weeks at the port. Maybe having some repairs done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauracruise10

According to the JJ Facebook page, she's being dry docked for two weeks at the port. Maybe having some repairs done?

Great. Thanks :) I was checking the fb page but got worried that they hadn't posted anything. Will eagerly await her return :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Men and Ships Rot in Port.

She should be restored and put to work as the national sail training vessel, instead of the government just pocketing the insurance money from the Asgard 2 sinking. Like thieves in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Came across this on broadsheet.ie
    The Jeanie Johnston Tall Ship lead by the Shackleton moves down the River Liffey last night to dry dock at Dublin Port for “essential maintenance”.

Ms Johnston will be out of action until October 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Men and Ships Rot in Port.

She should be restored and put to work as the national sail training vessel, instead of the government just pocketing the insurance money from the Asgard 2 sinking. Like thieves in the night.

When the Asgard 2 sunk did the State never get a new sail training vessel ?
    Also what exactly happened the Asgard 2, was it a trainee at the helm when it sank and what sank it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

The eventual plan is for her to be seaworthy, but will need to go through a lot of testing, maintenance, repairs and retesting etc first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When the Asgard 2 sunk did the State never get a new sail training vessel ?

No, but they cashed in the insurance policy and spent it elsewhere.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also what exactly happened the Asgard 2, was it a trainee at the helm when it sank and what sank it ?

It's thought she hit a semi-submerged shipping container during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

She should be restored and put to work as the national sail training vessel,

Absolutely, it was a great resource.
    instead of the government just pocketing the insurance money from the Asgard 2 sinking. Like thieves in the night.

Too true - they are getting very good at this! And not a qualm or conscience between the lot of them!

It's thought she hit a semi-submerged shipping container during the night.

Ouch! A terrifying experience. I knew one of those aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Too true - they are getting very good at this! And not a qualm or conscience between the lot of them!
    Just for clarity it is the last government (FF) that did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

roundymac wrote: »
    Just for clarity it is the last government (FF) that did this.

The colour of the balaclava shouldn't matter, they're still thieving bastards, just turned their backs on such a valuable national resource....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Love the idea of a famine ship with a canteen, only in Ireland!

The colour of the balaclava shouldn't matter, they're still thieving bastards, just turned their backs on such a valuable national resource....
    It does for me. The country was broke at the time is the only thing I'll say in their favour and I suspect if they tried to do anything the IMF/EU would have hammered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Love the idea of a famine ship with a canteen, only in Ireland!

You do know the original ship never lost a single passenger or crew member?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

roundymac wrote: »
    It does for me. The country was broke at the time is the only thing I'll say in their favour and I suspect if they tried to do anything the IMF/EU would have hammered them.

Just platitudes, I'm afraid. As long as each member of the government is on the wages, allowances and expenses that they are on they can't use excuses like that. More money is squandered on their packages each year than it would actually take to run this country. No minister could ever be taken seriously while spouting about it being difficult and needing taxes and more taxes all the while shovelling obscene amounts of money into their own bank accounts.

Just platitudes, I'm afraid. As long as each member of the government is on the wages, allowances and expenses that they are on they can't use excuses like that. More money is squandered on their packages each year than it would actually take to run this country. No minister could ever be taken seriously while spouting about it being difficult and needing taxes and more taxes all the while shovelling obscene amounts of money into their own bank accounts.
    Well you know what to do so.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why has it been docked in Dublin so long? I remember being on it in West Cork years ago.

the Dublin Docklands Authority own it.

Advertisement