Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit advice?

Options
  • 13-09-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I live miles away from a pool but I always used to swim in the Shannon. Since moving away for college etc and now I'm back home, I find it too cold. So I'm gonna get a wetsuit to make it more bearable!!

Thing is, I don't really know anything about it. I Googled it and I guess I would need blindstitched for our Irish water temps (Lough Derg, anyone know?) and also a pretty high mm.
    I also haven't a clue about sizing. I'm short and fat so my problem with anything fitted is generally that they are too long or just not wide enough for my thighs/hips/waist area. I can only imagine this is gonna be a bigger problem with a wetsuit than normal clothing.

Another point, full length or shorty?? I don't really know the benefits of either! :confused: because of my weight i always am cautious of above-knee things because the cuffs can be v. restrictive and uncomfortable around the thighs and also i can get self conscious! I'd assume they are also colder!

I don't wanna invest loadsa money and I find that the outdoor shops in Galway rob ya with everything so I'm looking for recommendation I can get online. Something for a beginner that isn't committed yet!!

Maybe I could go in to a shop and try on for sizing or is that really rude?? Do they let you try on wetsuits?? I could always buy some waterproof pants or something to be polite since they always come in handy.
    On the great outdoors website they have trisuits for 71.99.. would these be suitable??? http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=236_810_811&products_id=234901

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's not a wetsuit - it's a textile triathlon suit. No use if you're worried about cold :)

Buying online is very risky because wetsuits are not like regular clothing, they can vary enormously from brand to brand and even vary a little from suit to suit within the same line. You could do worse than seek out a brank of Amphibian King and drop in for a no commitment chat.

In €€ terms you would be looking at about €150 for an entry level wetsuit which would probably be ideal for your [current] needs, rising up to multiples of that for an advanced level suit as worn by elite swimmers with technically correct stroke and body position in water. Again the folks in AK can help with positioning without leading you astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Okay thanks.
    I think there is an Amphibian King in Oranmore so maybe next week I could pass through on my way to Galway. I'd be very wary though of paying so much, even €150 seems an awful lot to me. The Great Outdoors have a sale on but as I said, don't know what I'm looking for so can't really buy yet! They have surfing ones which wouldn't be any good as I understand.
    I have a habit of going to shops and taking their advice too much and impulse buying....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

Try pick up a 2nd hand suit online, somewhere like donedeal etc. I sold a pretty good blue seventy suit on it early last year, and check on facebook, I think pages like https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tri-and-Sell-It/435716296476638 sometimes have a few bargains as well.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Planet X UK have some wetsuits going at a good price at the moment - the BlueSeventy Sprint for £89.99 is a bit of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Somehow missed these. Thanks a mil everyone!!
    So ok I'm gonna try some on in the amphibian king shop, ask their advice then see their prices but prob buy secondhand. Cheers for the links!

• Advertisement
Advertisement