Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to tennis - what racquet to get?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi. Living in SC Dublin will shortly be joining a local tennis club. Just wondering whether a tennis racquet from Elvery sports do the trick for a newbie? They start at 19.95 and go into the 100s. I was thinking maybe a €50 / €60 one would do the trick but I'm completely clueless! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gecko81 wrote: »
    Hi. Living in SC Dublin will shortly be joining a local tennis club. Just wondering whether a tennis racquet from Elvery sports do the trick for a newbie? They start at 19.95 and go into the 100s. I was thinking maybe a €50 / €60 one would do the trick but I'm completely clueless! Any thoughts?

You could get something cheap to get you started, just to see if you like it. Cheap racquets are normally aluminium or titanium which transmits vibration up into the arm. This caused tennis elbow for me quite quickly after I took it up again after a 25 year break. I moved on to more expensive racquets then, once I realised how much I liked playing again. The new expensive racquets are graphite/titanium mixes and are much better at absorbing shock. Once you get the hang of it, go to a good tennis shop (Look at rackets.ie in Dublin, he's got a very good reputation) where there would usually analyse your swing etc and recommend racquets for you. Mahers here in Cork will sell you the racquet, tape up the handle and allow you to use it for up to 2 weeks. You can return it if you don't like it, as long as it isn't marked or damaged. Rackets.ie might do the same thing, or they may have second hand as a starter racquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gecko81

whiterebel wrote: »
    You could get something cheap to get you started, just to see if you like it. Cheap racquets are normally aluminium or titanium which transmits vibration up into the arm. This caused tennis elbow for me quite quickly after I took it up again after a 25 year break. I moved on to more expensive racquets then, once I realised how much I liked playing again. The new expensive racquets are graphite/titanium mixes and are much better at absorbing shock. Once you get the hang of it, go to a good tennis shop (Look at rackets.ie in Dublin, he's got a very good reputation) where there would usually analyse your swing etc and recommend racquets for you. Mahers here in Cork will sell you the racquet, tape up the handle and allow you to use it for up to 2 weeks. You can return it if you don't like it, as long as it isn't marked or damaged. Rackets.ie might do the same thing, or they may have second hand as a starter racquet.

That's great, thanks very much for the info. As I said, I'm completely new to this so any and all information is a great help. Cheers

I ended up getting a Wilson 103 airlite graphite alloy. It was hugely reduced in price so I think I have a good starting racket for a good price. Thanks again for the help

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I ended up getting a Wilson 103 airlite graphite alloy. It was hugely reduced in price so I think I have a good starting racket for a good price. Thanks again for the help

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your tennis, it's a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I have same question!

Started playing tennis in Cork quite regularly - went down to Mahers but sure I've no idea I want/what suits me. I am willing to spend up to a hundred Euro or so..

Any thoughts/help?

• Advertisement

I have same question!

Started playing tennis in Cork quite regularly - went down to Mahers but sure I've no idea I want/what suits me. I am willing to spend up to a hundred Euro or so..

Any thoughts/help?

Same answer......

Same answer......

Ummmmm. I hear ya - I didn't exactly see anyone on Mahers who knew about tennis racquets!

Ummmmm. I hear ya - I didn't exactly see anyone on Mahers who knew about tennis racquets!

Upstairs in tennis section? Normally Rob or Conor or one of the lads there are tennis players

Upstairs in tennis section? Normally Rob or Conor or one of the lads there are tennis players

Cheers mate - giving me names is actually very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

have you joined a club yet?

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    have you joined a club yet?

Hi Manafana

Have applied to Donnybrook LTC and waiting to hear back from the committee.

Had you any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Hi Manafana

Have applied to Donnybrook LTC and waiting to hear back from the committee.

Had you any suggestions?

well i have played in few places, im not that keen on donnybrook or carrickmines as fine the all white policy a bit over the top.

mount pleasant is a good club and quiet young with plenty going on.

LCC is good for being able get court and the courts are quiet nice and location wise is good, older type membership but great place to learn the game.

well i have played in few places, im not that keen on donnybrook or carrickmines as fine the all white policy a bit over the top.

mount pleasant is a good club and quiet young with plenty going on.

LCC is good for being able get court and the courts are quiet nice and location wise is good, older type membership but great place to learn the game.

Thanks for the tips

We went with Donnybrook because it is quite close and they have very competitive rates if you are under 35.

Will keep those tips in mind though if things don't work out. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Im not a fan of that all white policy and I think it actually turns people of joining clubs with an all white policy. Seen it this year in one of the Opens where if you werent wearing a white top they would come down to you between games with a white t-shirt that you have buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

Hey Guys

Just looking on here for a decent raquet.

http://www.agrackets.co.uk/tennis/rackets?viewall=true&srule=top-sellers#

If you were to pick one up for say £50 -80 range, what would you go for? Bear in mind they are 50% off.

I am a beginner but looking to take it up long term.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Guys

Just looking on here for a decent raquet.

http://www.agrackets.co.uk/tennis/rackets?viewall=true&srule=top-sellers#

If you were to pick one up for say £50 -80 range, what would you go for? Bear in mind they are 50% off.

I am a beginner but looking to take it up long term.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Look at the first couple of posts. Its a complete punt if you don't know what type of racquet suits you first. Just because they are 50% off doesn't mean they will be any good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Firstly, buy a racquet for 50 Euros. As you have no idea whether it will suit you, would it then be possible to try out a few other varieties of racquet to see what kind of racquet suits you best, before a more substantial investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Go to Martin Evans Sports in Fitzwilliam Tennis Club and they will advise you. You don't have to be a member to shop there.

Advertisement