Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome font changed

Options
  • 28-08-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Earlier today the font on Google Chrome changed on most webpages. I've tried changing it in Settings > Advanced > Web Content but no matter what font I switch to nothing changes. Have searched for solutions elsewhere but to no avail. Have not installed any new fonts or browser extensions so don't know what might be causing it.
    Other programs are the same as they always were.

Before:

84220b805c007122d9097075e234cc93.png

After:

3c80fede99b8c0314f47a176aa532153.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does it show like that even when you're not signed into boards, and does it affect other websites?

Edit: Misread the OP, a little.

Try going to Tools > Encoding, and then checking what option is ticked there. Standard is Western, I believe.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hah, was gonna post the exact same thing. Have the same problem here and it's annoying. I had blamed the forced reboot of my PC last night/early morn for the change.

Messed with everyting, rebooted, the lot, still the issue prevails. Seems local to just Chrome.

Fonts in Firefox are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Knex. wrote: »
    Does it show like that even when you're not signed into boards, and does it affect other websites?

Edit: Misread the OP, a little.

Try going to Tools > Encoding, and then checking what option is ticked there. Standard is Western, I believe.

Same on all websites. Western is ticked.
    byte wrote: »
    Hah, was gonna post the exact same thing. Have the same problem here and it's annoying. I had blamed the forced reboot of my PC last night/early morn for the change.

Messed with everyting, rebooted, the lot, still the issue prevails. Seems local to just Chrome.

Fonts in Firefox are fine.

No forced reboot here so maybe you could rule that out. Firefox is fine for me too.

If you go to Settings > About, what version of Chrome are you on?

Latest is 37.0.2062.102

byte

Mine is Version 37.0.2062.102 m

Dunno why the m is there.

• Advertisement

Yup, on 37.0.2062.102 m.

Using Windows 7 if that's relevant

byte

For the record, I'm also on Windows 7

The m is fine.

When you're on boards home page, go to Developer Tools, by either pressing f12 or Tools > Developer Tools.

On the right hand side box, from the menu that shows at bottom of browser, is font showing as below, or is it striked out?

jLTRUjJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Noticed it as well
    I downloaded the 64bit version and blamed that.

It's appaling. Looks fuzzy and is way too big. I messed with fonts but can't get it to revert to a readable font.

Not good

Knex. wrote: »
    The m is fine.

When you're on boards home page, go to Developer Tools, by either pressing f12 or Tools > Developer Tools.

On the right hand side box, from the menu that shows at bottom of browser, is font showing as below, or is it striked out?

Looks to be identical to yours:

0210ef8b0da942f1de2d4c06a0b042f7.png

• Advertisement

Although the Boards homepage seems to be one the few webpages unaffected with the exception of the top bar

From what I can gather, the version 37.0.2062.102 is only out today or yesterday, and there seems to be some bugs registered, such as the below:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=408260

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the font issue you are having, but it could well be that Google are aware and working on it.

I only updated mine to latest when I checked the about info for Chrome after reading this thread (Did it automatically for me then). However, I don't get the same issues. I am on Windows 7, but must be something else throwing the latest version's fonts off kilter.

Not a great answer from myself, I know... My apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Fiddling around with some settings and found this:

Go to new tab and open chrome://flags, where it says 'Disable DirectWrite', click Enable. Restart browser and voilà!

Appears to have worked. Hopefully you all have the same success. Thanks for the help!

byte

That fixed it! You're fcuking awesome! :D This was bugging me for ages!

Go to new tab and open chrome://flags, where it says 'Disable DirectWrite', click Enable. Restart browser and voilà!

Appears to have worked. Hopefully you all have the same success. Thanks for the help!

Give that man a cookie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for this. Noticed font issues on my home and work PCs today.

According to Google:
    DirectWrite support on Windows for improved font rendering

The fonts looked so bad I thought something was wrong with my monitor, I kept trying the auto-adjust to no avail.

If that's "improved font rendering", they can keep it.

Advertisement