Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stillorgan Dual Carriageway Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 27-08-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm starting a daily commute from Belmayne to Sandyford next week, I was wondering if any of you guys have been using the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway at all? I've thrown the route into google maps and the suggested options are through Ranelagh/Clonskeagh/Goatstown or Ballsbridge/Merrion Road.

I put my own route in using the N11 and it seemed the shortest but wasn't recommended by google maps. Maybe that's a sign!

The commute will probably take over an hour which I'm not too keen on turning into something longer! I was thinking the N11 would have fewest stops/longest clean runs but if it's dangerous or bad cycle lanes I'll give it a miss! Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

holdcrop wrote: »
    I'm starting a daily commute from Belmayne to Sandyford next week, I was wondering if any of you guys have been using the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway at all? I've thrown the route into google maps and the suggested options are through Ranelagh/Clonskeagh/Goatstown or Ballsbridge/Merrion Road.

I put my own route in using the N11 and it seemed the shortest but wasn't recommended by google maps. Maybe that's a sign!

The commute will probably take over an hour which I'm not too keen on turning into something longer! I was thinking the N11 would have fewest stops/longest clean runs but if it's dangerous or bad cycle lanes I'll give it a miss! Thanks guys

I used to use the N11 from Cabinteely all the way into town. The cycle lanes are decent, but there are enough disruptions (bus stops, driveway dips, broken surface) to make it tolerable rather than pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

The N11 cycle lanes are hit and miss. Where DLRCC has upgraded them in the last couple of years they're quite good, but there are some very poor stretches where the surfacing is atrocious, the lane yields at side roads, there's no provision for turning right, etc.

Of course, you're entitled to use the bus lanes all the way, but many Boardsies have reported incidents with Dublin Bus drivers 'educating' them on the N11, with close passes, deliberate pull-ins, etc.

If it were me I'd try the Ranelagh route first- fewer lanes of traffic, less traffic in general, less intimidating junctions, a less boring hill (the N11 is a long, dull drag) and a bit more greenery and scenery. If that doesn't work, then try the N11; I'd try the Merrion Road-Rock Road route last of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I cycle the stillorgan dual carriageway everyday... It's an easy cycle but it's unpleasant in places. The section of cycle lane southbound from Donnybrook to UCD is a scandalous surface... Grates, broken surface, parked vans and cars, potholes etc. there is one massive manhole just before the UCD turnoff on the bus lane.

Overall it's grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Ranelagh-Sandyford is my commute and though you have a few traffic stops in Ranelagh the traffic is not travelling at high speed so its relatively easy to work through. Beyond Ranelagh, the Clonskeagh road is fine and beyond the Goat the traffic lights are even fewer. I don't care for the N11 - I have gone that way a few times but have been almost sideswiped by private coaches (probably trying to tell me to use the cycle lane - which is more of a mountain bike track) at high speed. Even though the road from Ranelagh up to Sandyford has a cycle lane that is of low quality in places, I find it the least risky option traffic-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The N11 cycle lanes are hit and miss. Where DLRCC has upgraded them in the last couple of years they're quite good, but there are some very poor stretches where the surfacing is atrocious, the lane yields at side roads, there's no provision for turning right, etc.

Of course, you're entitled to use the bus lanes all the way, but many Boardsies have reported incidents with Dublin Bus drivers 'educating' them on the N11, with close passes, deliberate pull-ins, etc.

If it were me I'd try the Ranelagh route first- fewer lanes of traffic, less traffic in general, less intimidating junctions, a less boring hill (the N11 is a long, dull drag) and a bit more greenery and scenery. If that doesn't work, then try the N11; I'd try the Merrion Road-Rock Road route last of the three.

I was "educated" by a Dublin Bus driver one Sunday morning on the N11 while the road was virtually empty. He was kind enough to point out the dangers of cycling in the bus lane while a bus overtakes you and then slows down leaving no space between you the kerb and bus. I thanked him kindly for the lesson at the next set of lights and have avoided all cycling on the N11 since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Deedsie wrote: »
    I cycle the stillorgan dual carriageway everyday... It's an easy cycle but it's unpleasant in places. The section of cycle lane southbound from Donnybrook to UCD is a scandalous surface... Grates, broken surface, parked vans and cars, potholes etc. there is one massive manhole just before the UCD turnoff on the bus lane.

Overall it's grand though.

Am with deedsie on this. I go up the N11 each all the way to cherrywood from town.

I;ve stopped using the bus lane from RTE to UCD. I use the bus lane. that pothole is seriously massive.

Other than that, the bus lane is fine,

The only other section that I don't like is from DCU to RTE. The surface of the lane is dangerous due to a strip of the lane being dug up and not replace adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I also cycle the N11 every day, from Brewery Road to town, and in general it's grand.
    The only sections of cycle lane I use are northbound, between Brewery Road and Kilmacud Road, and between Oatlands college and the Mount Merrion Avenue, and southbound between Fosters Avenue and Mount Merrion Avenue.
    Take particular care northbound at the junction with Fosters Avenue, where if you are in the cycle lane you cede priority to left turning traffic.
    As an aside, a Bus Eireann driver tried to "educate" earlier this year, so I reported him. The guards told me later that he'd been cautioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Most of the cycle lanes on the n11 are pure shyte. I cycle on it every day and avoid most of them. The only one I use is from UCD to the radisson, the rest are useless.
    You get Bus eireann coaches and Aircoach's trying to 'educate' you on being in the cycle lane. Dublin Bus drivers tend to just beep. Watch for doors opening and cars pulling in and out around Donnybrook, especially heading towards town from the turn after the garda station and the aib bank.

It's done, but rough and you're much better off avoiding the cycle lanes IMO. They're full of glass and crap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I've cycled the N11 a couple of times and tend to stay on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I cycle the N11 most days from Cornelscourt to Stephens Green. Some of the bike lanes are a shambles but some are ok, particularly between Stillorgan and UCD. On the way into town, I tend to stay in the bike lanes until UCD and then switch to the bus lane.

On the way home, I usually only stay in the bike lane from UCD to the Raddisson or so as most if is terrible with too many potholes, a rubbish surface and pedestrians wandering across the bike lanes.

Of course, not using the bike lanes results in occasional aggro from bus drivers etc but screw them. Also, as someone else said, the Fosters Ave turnoff is a potential death trap so keep your wits about you and be prepared to cede to motorists who decide to turn left and don't care about or see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

Can I just pick up on some of the points that are coming up here, sorry to be focusing on it.. I ride in dublin a lot and gave for a few years but only recently started getting aggro from bus drivers teaching me a lesson when Im not on the cycle lane. They usually blow the horn and go around you only to squeeze you. 2 weeks ago an aircoach went around me and actually hit the brakes to frighten me.this was on n11 after fosters on run to ucd. Another time a double decker. bus eireann on n2 at glasnevin cemetery. I reported to gards on both instances but there was no follow up. Just told they couldnt locate driver even though I gave reg and time of incident.
    Sorry to go off topic of original question but I wonder if something could be done before a cyclist is murdered by a man in charge of a public service vechicle!

Michelin wrote: »
    Can I just pick up on some of the points that are coming up here, sorry to be focusing on it.. I ride in dublin a lot and gave for a few years but only recently started getting aggro from bus drivers teaching me a lesson when Im not on the cycle lane. They usually blow the horn and go around you only to squeeze you. 2 weeks ago an aircoach went around me and actually hit the brakes to frighten me.this was on n11 after fosters on run to ucd. Another time a double decker. bus eireann on n2 at glasnevin cemetery. I reported to gards on both instances but there was no follow up. Just told they couldnt locate driver even though I gave reg and time of incident.
    Sorry to go off topic of original question but I wonder if something could be done before a cyclist is murdered by a man in charge of a public service vechicle!

I'd like to second this re the buses, Aircoach, Bus Éireann, Wexford bus and some of the private bus on the route can be very aggressive towards cyclists. To be fair to Dublin Bus I think they have improved an awful lot in the last few months. That is just my own personal experience of bus troubles along the N11.

It would be great to see the Garda traffic corp along the route the odd time but presumably their resources are over stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I posted some time ago the quality of the cycle lane on the N11 was poor in places & totally effin crap in others (this was after 1 cycle) also to many cross over points with peds just aimlessly wandering across it & junctions, i would only get going & would have to stop again which was very fookin annoying.

I would recomend the other route as the preferred option>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Complain to the bus company, with relevant details, as well. They'll be able to identify the driver and should have their own internal procedures to make sure the driver knows that isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I cycle the N11 most days from Brewery Road to Heuston and return journey. As has been said the cycle lanes are brutal Southbound between Donnybrook and UCD and the Foster's Avenue turn off on the way into town is quite dangerous. As a novice cyclist I also find the cycle quite tough between UCD and the top of Booterstown Avenue. It's not all that steep but there's a steady incline and I find myself dropping to a very easy gear for that bit! I haven't done the Ranelagh route so can't comment on it. Must try it soon. Just keep your wits about you around buses etc. I see many cyclists try silly things around buses and there is only ever going to be one winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 holdcrop

I think I'll give the Ranelagh route a go first and see how it pans out. I'm still a realtively new bicycle commuter, only been on the bike for the past three months so something with a bit more scenery and less traffic might suit best!

I've found the dublin bus drivers heading in and out the Malahide road to be very good, although average speeds for them on that route is probably an awful lot less then on the Stillorgan road. The bus stop frequency also tends to keep them stopping and starting a lot more so they tend to follow behind instead of trying to over take. There are a few schools along the way though and I've started to notice parents are sort of just abandoning cars on the side of the road, often in the cycle lane while they drop their kids off! A guy on a scooter today just pulled out in front of me there as well, had a big moment with him!

I'm figuring it will take me 25 mintues to get to Merrion Square, that's my current average time to where our office is now for about the same distance. Would I be expecting a similar time through Ranelagh etc. to Sandyford? I have a few junctions to stop at on the way down the Malahide road: Coolock, Donnycarney, Fairview, most of the others are T-junctions or roundabouts that you can negotiate with some care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I cycle the N11 daily from Stillorgan to Lesson St.
    I find the worst buses are the "Not in service" type. Those guys don't give a shîte. They love cutting you up. No punters on board, no witnesses.

Planet X wrote: »
    I cycle the N11 daily from Stillorgan to Lesson St.
    I find the worst buses are the "Not in service" type. Those guys don't give a shîte. They love cutting you up. No punters on board, no witnesses.

If they are "not in service" should they even be in the bus lane? They do take the piss a bit now you mention it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Last year, saw a Bus Eireann driver getting "sorted out" at the UCD stop (going towards town direction). Was well behind this cyclist and the lights went green. He takes off, bus takes off. Bus "grinds him into the kerb". Cyclist screaming and stops. Bus continued to the stop 10 meters or so. Cyclist loops around the bus and unfortunately for the driver he has to get off the bus to take cases out.
    At this stage the cyclist is waiting for him, the old chestnut, "I didn't see you" comes from the driver. Cyclist thumps the head off him, saying that he almost killed him.
    Terrible altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Personally I would go across the East link, Beach Road, Merrion Gates up Booterstown Avenue and then up Trees road. You are only on the N11 for a very short time then up by Applegreen and Stillorgan Park hotel. If you want even less on N11 go across South Hill Avenue onto Merrion Avenue. Also you have long stretches with no lights (pretty much from East Wall Road to Booterstown Avenue and light traffic.

I suppose a lot depends on which part of the industrial estate you want to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 holdcrop

I never thought of that route, thanks Seaswimmer. I'm heading down towards the Burton Hall Road end of the estate

Also I cant see any need to go near Ranelagh. What about East Link (short cut through gap in wall) Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, down by the bus garage and out on Clonskeagh Road up to Sandyford..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Also I cant see any need to go near Ranelagh. What about East Link (short cut through gap in wall) Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, down by the bus garage and out on Clonskeagh Road up to Sandyford..

I would go Malahide rd -> Fairview -> 5 lamps -> Sam Beckett bridge -> Ballsbridge rather than going via the East Link.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I would go Malahide rd -> Fairview -> 5 lamps -> Sam Beckett bridge -> Ballsbridge rather than going via the East Link.

True. Another good option..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I can't stand getting cut up on the N11. Stopped using it years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I reported to gards on both instances but there was no follow up. Just told they couldnt locate driver even though I gave reg and time of incident.
    Apparently not, I had a bus driver admit on video that he tried to "show me" that bus lanes are dangerous for cyclists. The driver even admitted that he had talked to me and confirmed he was the person involved. Bus Eireann had it on video as well but after reviewing it they then suddenly had difficulty "downloading" it from storage (their words, not mine).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My preference (if safety and stress levels are the key considerations) would be the Sam Beckett bridge, upto Ballsbridge, Beaver Row and up the Clonskeagh Road. Before the M50 turn right off the Drummartin link road and cross the M50 on the road that comes up from Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

CramCycle wrote: »
    My preference (if safety and stress levels are the key considerations) would be the Sam Beckett bridge, upto Ballsbridge, Beaver Row and up the Clonskeagh Road. Before the M50 turn right off the Drummartin link road and cross the M50 on the road that comes up from Dundrum.

I think he's going to the Sandyford Ind Est so doesn't need to turn right at the Beacon Hotel/Hospital, so could turn left onto Benildus Avenue. I agree with your route, though Beaver Row is a pain - I used to commute from Grand Canal Dock and went up Northumberland Road (good cycle lane/surface) to Ballsbridge and went up along the Herbert park path along the Herbert hotel to avoid Anglesea Road. That brings you out into Donnybrook and from there I went behind the garage, onto Eglinton road (another ok Cycle path/surface) and onto the Clonskeagh road from there. The distance is probably a little more than Anglesea/Beaver Row but a hell of a lot safer if that's the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Get a helmetcam - €20 from 7dayshop.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The shortest route would be straight into town up Dame street, left onto George's street and it's practically straight out to sandyford via ranalagh. Not the most scenic and quite a bit of traffic but it's slow moving.

Advertisement