Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to create your elevator pitch

Options
  • 09-08-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I am now feel like I am driving myself insane. Like a lot of people, I have that "ideal business" I know I could develop into - but finances just wont make it happen. I know I have talent and I know I have ideas but I cannot seem to focus them into something for long enough to actually get going.
    I used to think that this meant I hadn't found my passion - but I have - every idea has a few key elements at the core & they all relate to what I am good at.
    I wonder if I am an intrepreneur - in my past life I worked in pub and hotel management in the UK and my strength was creating events, decor, themed days out of literally nothing. Now upcycling has come along but it's not quite right.
    I love events and celebrations - to list a few
    I make handmade boxed greetings cards, unusual shaped cards, nappy cakes, baskets filled with all kinds of stuff, candy carts and candy buffets (with vintage glassware or themed to an event), kids party bags - lego, minecraft, give me a theme and I'll do it) Metal Badges - so retro - so fun to make, vintage china - own teasets galore and make cake stands from bits of china.
    Cast ceramics - I could market this to paint your own pottery places and hobby shops - good for kids parties.
    Finished ceramics - bit of a learning curve to go but I'm nearly there - could teach the rudiments to others. Working on some themed series - Angels watch you (as I say this to my kids every night) and alternate angels (for those of alternative faith)
    Framed printables - Modern Faith
    Handmade cosmetics - lego brick soap to make the kids wash or woodrows and whisky beard oil anyone?
    Card Designing - few dozen designs done - thinking of the craft market.
    Wedding Invitations -all I need as someone ask - pinpointing myself to a sample book - can't do it.
    Vinyl designs/images on kids wear/baby stuff - love personalising cards and gifts.
    Kids Parties - ice cream sundae bar, make their own names, pottery painting, badges or whatever from above, traditional party games. Oh and candyfloss - kids love watching candy floss form.
    Jazz up your junk - adult craft classes.

So when someone asks "What do you do?" - my answer is invariably the wrong one as it changes constantly
    and to be honest I am starting to think the real answer is "not a lot" as I spend a lot of time trying to make all the above into a business.
    Sorry for long post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The first thing to do is to STOP being all over the shop and do some single thing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

pedronomix wrote: »
    The first thing to do is to STOP being all over the shop and do some single thing well.

I appreciate the comment.

I don't do anything half assed. At any given time. Compared to what other people are offering.
    (Personal taste not considered ;-)

http://www.adverts.ie/other-wedding/handmade-personalised-wedding-card/5212845

http://www.adverts.ie/other-wedding/handmade-wedding-cards/4722720

http://www.adverts.ie/girls/handmade-and-personalised-tulle-circle-nursery-decoration/5379515
    http://www.adverts.ie/girls/handmade-personalised-explosion-box-card/5167828

Eek - now that sounds that self justification. I did not want that. Just help in honing things.

Small suggestion, do one thing well!! what was your actual query again? ;)

pedronomix wrote: »
    Small suggestion, do one thing well!! what was your actual query again? ;)

Ahhh - you sound like Tony Robbins ... ask good questions.
    My question?

Will you marry me and then I could probably be as flaky as I want.

• Advertisement

Ok I get what you are after. But what is in it for me? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

You sound as if you love the creative part of your business. Maybe sit down and come up with a name for it? Or come up with a brief summary-something you might put on your business card or "About Us" page of your website?

If you love doing something, and do it well, maybe you could look for a business partner who would take care of some of the entrepreneurial aspect? Even just a family member...

As regards to what you're actually providing, try and sit down with yourself and say "Who will buy this? Is it a niche? What events can I cater for?", and then try and sell yourself your customer-what makes you unique, whether its being cheaper, produced in Ireland, individual/unique products... Just try and get some perspective on what you do, want of yourself, and where you want to be.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The "elevator pitch" is to pique the interest of the prospect not to "sell"

Who you are
    Your product from "benefit" view
    Ask for a referral
    Hand over your business card

"My name is M....
    I help small businesses generate leads on the internet,
    If you know anybody in business that would benefit from eager customers
    get them to give me a call."
    And then give them my card.

If I have aroused their interest they will ask me what I do, if not hopefully they will pass the card on to someone else.
    What is in their head is helping get new customers not jargon words like online marketing, Google ads, SEO etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

There was a girl on dragons den in the Uk who pretty much said all of the above as you but branded it all with the Vintage sticker. She got investment because she put everything under one identity or theme.. http://vintagepatisserie.co.uk/angel-adoree/

I thought she was smart in how she "packaged" everything into one easy to understand business/product and was in no way scattered. Dance lessons, tea parties, events, clothing, books, pots and pans etc all under one name.

I'm sure you can think of a name or theme for your business and then have all the different parts underneath it.. So when people buy your ceramics or wedding invites or kids party, they will say "Oh it was XYZ who I got it from/organised it"

Advertisement