Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street photography - how close do YOU get?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Ive been getting into street photography a little in the past few weeks. The biggest barrier to me is actually grtting up close and taking pictures of complete strangers. I need to overcome this, as im a big fan of the up close wide angle style street photography. I have a few questions for all the street photographers out there:

How do you get in close to strangers?
    Do you have tactics?
    What do you do if your confronted?
    Have you ever had a violent confrontation from someone due to you taking their photograph?

(N.b. using a zoom and snapping from a distance is not a valid option, this is up close street photography were talking about here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,070 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Ive been getting into street photography a little in the past few weeks. The biggest barrier to me is actually grtting up close and taking pictures of complete strangers. I need to overcome this, as im a big fan of the up close wide angle style street photography. I have a few questions for all the street photographers out there:

Do you have tactics?
    Have you ever had a violent confrontation from someone due to you taking their photograph?

(N.b. using a zoom and snapping from a distance is not a valid option, this is up close street photography were talking about here!)

Using a zoom is the only way for me, I'm afraid, but then I never publish my photos so there's no fear of someoen discovering themsleves in a shot in public.

So in answer to your questions:
    1 - No.
    2 - Yes, see above. Although sometimes you have to be direct and ask, "may I tkae a photo?" Worst they can do is say no.
    3 - No, but if I am, I happily show them the photos I;ve taken,.
    4 - Again, no. I'm discreet and unobtrusive. But if they get violent, I would call the police. They're the ones breaking the law, not me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

16-35mm lens on a full frame camera.

Just do it!

How close? In their face - if needs be.

Tactics? In their face......

Confronted? Hasn't really happened to me yet so don't know what I'd say. Probably tell them to fook off! Ah no, I wouldn't. So far I've just gabbed my way out of the few situations I was confronted, usually by showing them the shot and saying it was for personal use and wouldn't end up on the web (I lied).

Confrontation? Drunk guy told the missus he'd kill her if she took his photo. I told him same. End of conversation!

Street is not easy so go easy. A smile helps a lot and a thumbs up if they catch you taking their photo. Then walk away....quickly....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

I do this. best camera for this is Olympus mirrorless cameras. I use the EM5. Lens I use vary from the basic telephoto zoom 40-150mm to the 45mm 1.8 prime. I also use sometimes the 9mm wide fisheye bodycap lens too as well as the 12-50mm.

Rule #1 is not to dress like a weirdo. #2 don't follow your subject around with a creepy sort of posture and camera hidden between the zip of your jeans. #3 Don't be a coward, street photography has no room for cowards, but if you're just starting out, ease yourself in with a telephoto zoom first then start getting close to people with prime lenses and wide angles. #4 a lot of people do it differently but throwing your aperture to f/8 and bumping up the ISO will ensure you never miss a shot. Alternative methods is using Program mode and shutter mode.

Never use manual because by the time you've it all figured in camera, you'll raise your head and the shot is gone. remember a blurry shot of something you want is better than a sharp well planned and framed photo of something you don't want. Keep it in continious shoot mode as well.

If someone says something to you, kindly explain who you are and what it is you are doing, if that fails and he turns out to be a junkie with an interest in your camera, then as you talk to him, drift into a very busy shop like vodafone until he backs off and leaves or if you see a policeman explain what is going on. I have had dirty looks from people in my provincial town ( very close minded people and anyone taking a pic of them is a pedophile ) but I've never had anyone give out to me except for one romanian woman. I got close to her and she started going mental waving her shawl at me. But thats ok, those photos can be funny too if ya get their reaction. But don't be afraid to get in close.

Shoot from the hip and that takes practice but if you're using an EM5 its made easy as you can see the screen and the frame because the screen on the EM5 is moveable.

I prefer looking through the viewfinder, and standing there for like two minutes at a time waiting for something interesting to come into the frame. this kind of throws off people who think you're taking a photo of a government building or something.

Try not making eye contact with your subject which implies you're taking their photo. Look ahead after you have taken the camera from your eye as if your looking past them, which implies you have taken a photo of something else.

It is an art not understood by the general public and this is something you understand as well which is why you get the fear you do because you know it isn't widely ''understood'' and ''accepted''. Anyway in the midst of all this you have to actually look for a shot that looks good.

don't let your photos look like tourist snaps. capture something wonderful like maybe a big huge tall fat guy sitting on a small bench or walking a small dog. those look cool and demonstrate the big verses the small. Don't have shots where people are looking at the camera. the art of this photography is to catch people off guard and candidly. Don't be asking for their permission to take their photo because then your not doing street photography. I don't care what anyone says, street portraits of people who have given you their permission prior is not street photography, its nice to look at I enjoy peoples street portraits but its not street photography in the truest sense.

Enjoy your time on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Then walk away....quickly....

Rarely stated, but great advice. Street is all about the moment. Release the shutter and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Great advice folks.

One point i dont agree with ,but its widely debated is that its not street if they look at the camera. In looking at some of the greats, there are many famous shots where the subject is looking right at the camera. I guess it depends on if you are influencing them or you just caught their eye as you took your shot.

That leads on to influencing, is it wrong to have some influence? Some of William Klein's best work were when he had a little interaction. He would say something like "HEY!" to get a look or in the famous kid with gun shot he told the kid to "look tough" and the result is history.

I guess this is the never ending debate of what is street and what is not.

I do like the idea of working quickly. Ive found by doing that the following works for me.
    -Dont stop for long, if at all, shot while walking, slow your pace if necessary but try not stop.
    -look like your aiming at something behind the subject. Keep looking at this as you walk away.
    -be confident, lack of confidence gives off an impression of creepiness, or up to no good. If you look like your meant to be doing what your doing, most people will ignore you.

Ive been confronted once, where an guy selling paintings on Grafton St said quietly that he did not give permission and i should delete the photo. It was a crap photo so i had no problem deleting it, not sure how i would have felt if it was a keeper.

I just wanted to see what techniques others have used, as im still not getting close enough. some great tips, now to get out, grow a pair and take photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Using a Fuji X100 I always get in close.

If someone sees you, they usually frown and walk on. I've never had any confrontation

It's about confidence. If you look nervous and suspicious, you stand out like a sore thumb.

Try to look like you know what you are doing. Take the photo and then just walk on. Make it look like you are in charge. Works wonders I promise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i never use zoom for street photography - somewhere between 35 and 50 - and get as close as possible - it forces interaction with subject which is a good thing - sometimes not so good, and you have to deal with aggressive confrontation , more so today - 5 years ago people didn't give a **** - now with the facebookisation of the world people are not so keen on been photographed - each year I swear will be my last , and each year I enjoy it less - - but on the positive had some amazing connections with people after that confrontation - its just that 5% that make you wonder why you do it.

If you are reduced to shooting with a zoom or hiding across the street , try some other form of photography , what use is a load of usually unfeeling photographs that you can never use - for street photography you must get close, for it to be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

thebaz wrote: »
    i never use zoom for street photography - somewhere between 35 and 50 - and get as close as possible - it forces interaction with subject which is a good thing - sometimes not so good, and you have to deal with aggressive confrontation , more so today - 5 years ago people didn't give a **** - now with the facebookisation of the world people are not so keen on been photographed - each year I swear will be my last , and each year I enjoy it less - - but on the positive had some amazing connections with people after that confrontation - its just that 5% that make you wonder why you do it.

If you are reduced to shooting with a zoom or hiding across the street , try some other form of photography , what use is a load of usually unfeeling photographs that you can never use - for street photography you must get close, for it to be any good.

its true, the 45mm prime on the EM5 ( or 50mm prime on Nikon ) gives the viewer a sense of being actually there in the photo and gives them the feel that they are part of that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

A smile helps a lot and a thumbs up if they catch you taking their photo. Then walk away....quickly....

I think this is just a good life lesson when caught doing anything that is borderline inappropriate.

Especially the thumbs up...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Confronted? Hasn't really happened to me yet so don't know what I'd say. .

maybe it comes in swings and roundabouts Denis - in the early days I'd no problem - a few years ago had a nasty scene in Dublin - then the first street shot I took in New York , the guy threatened to shoot me - anyway , like falling of a bike , I just dusted myself down , and on I went , and took some of my better street shots . I'm really looking forward to giving it up, but then its my favourite type of photography - so I can't win :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Great advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Be decent and delete any photos if you are asked to do so. Plenty of people find it obtrusive and unwelcome to have some randomer snap their photo on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Do you have tactics?
    QUOTE]

1: I sat 'next' to a lady at a bus stop & took her picture & she
    never noticed me as she was talking to a friend.
    2: Either you ask or take them candidly. It's that simple.
    3: Look beyond the subject you are taking & don't make eye contact.
    4: Confronted just once & I told him to F.O. I wasn't taking his photo'
    5: Street photo' is what it is & by far to me the more enjoyable of aspect
    of photography so enjoy it but don't put yourself in any danger.

Advertisement