Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership of AI enough to get baptismal record annotated.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

So torn... Want to have my baptismal record annotated, don't want to join Athiest Ireland...ouch.

Hopefully the letter you attached can be used as a precedent if you can prove another reason you have totally repudiated the catholic church.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's a load of crap. You telling them should be enough, why do they need proof? It's hardly something you'd be lying about, is it? And it acknowledges "your apostasy", which makes it sound like you've committed a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Zaph wrote: »
    That's a load of crap. You telling them should be enough, why do they need proof? It's hardly something you'd be lying about, is it? And it acknowledges "your apostasy", which makes it sound like you've committed a crime.

But apostasy means that you have renounced your religion, which presumably is correct. Not that you're being kicked out for not believing, but a recognition that you don't believe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know it's technically correct, but to me it just sounds like something that would be read out on a charge sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I know it's technically correct, but to me it just sounds like something that would be read out on a charge sheet.

Well it wouldn't be unusual for the old CC to add in a bit of that good old fashioned guilt now would it.

The cynic in me is wondering if AI are attempting to use this as a bit of a recruitment drive though but it is unusual to see the RC treating the same as other faith based groups though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The person who did it tweeted it, I didn't see it via the AI account and I've yet to see any AI statement on it.
    Also I am not a member of AI, cos due to being a pagan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

meh, you can just ask your record to be annotated anyway.

They probably gave a laundry list of reasons to prove they were no longer RC and the bish's eye fixed upon the AI one.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Indeed it is of course a factual record of an event that happened. However the proposed noting of the register would more than comply with Section 6 of the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case-Study-8-03-Catholic-Church-Baptismal-Records/107.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think the noise around Islam regarding apostasy and hard line Muslims seeing death as the response to apostasy is giving apostasy a bad name..

Apostasy: comes from the greek Apostasia meaning defection or revolt, but I'm pretty sure it means 'from protection' if you were to take it literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

nibtrix wrote: »
    So torn... Want to have my baptismal record annotated, don't want to join Athiest Ireland...ouch.
    On the bright side, Atheist Ireland allows you to leave. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Gordon wrote: »
    I think the noise around Islam regarding apostasy and hard line Muslims seeing death as the response to apostasy is giving apostasy a bad name..

Apostasy: comes from the greek Apostasia meaning defection or revolt, but I'm pretty sure it means 'from protection' if you were to take it literally.

apo - stasis: to move away from

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

goose2005 wrote: »
    apo - stasis: to move away from
    Could be, or maybe; from standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

On the bright side, Atheist Ireland allows you to leave. :)

A stumbling block for some people may be that Atheist Ireland supports the destruction of religious items for lols:

http://www.atheist.ie/2011/02/bringing-the-scientific-method-to-magic-crackers/

That's a niche pursuit, at best.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A stumbling block for some people may be that Atheist Ireland supports the destruction of religious items for lols:

telling fibs makes the baby Jebus cry.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Give it a rest will you, you've already dragged an entire thread off topic with your nonsense

PPlease don't start the same stuff here,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Oh no, not the bread. This is worse persecution that the Jews got. If you are going to do testing make sure its on babies you took from the mothers because they were sinners but leave the bread alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

It seems being a member of Athiest Ireland is grounds enough to have your baptismal records annotated

Something my parents did to me before I was one really doesn't factor into anything imo.

I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I am not Catholic. I don't give 2 s**ts if there is a piece of paper out there that says I am something I am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

brianon wrote: »
    .. I don't give 2 s**ts if there is a piece of paper out there that says I am something I am not.
    Its not bugging you at all? Not even a teeny weeny bit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

recedite wrote: »
    Its not bugging you at all? Not even a teeny weeny bit? :D

OK. A teeny weeny bit :D

Advertisement