Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2012) Micro-USB Repair

Options
  • 21-07-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭

My father has one of the above tablets. In the last week it's stopped taking charge and is now dead - plugging it in and nothing comes up on the screen. I have seen the bargain basement prices of them now so I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue repaired and how much did it cost? He is leaning to just getting a new one but then again it's a mint tablet otherwise and was working perfectly well for his use prior to this so if it was a cheap and easy fix it would be worth repairing it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

At the price they are new now with a warranty it's hardly worth paying someone to repair it. Just buy a new one, then open it and see if there is any way possible you can fix it yourself

Unfortunate that the 2012 doesn't have wireless charging

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭corkie

Have you tried the obvious and checked both the cable and the charger are not at fault?

I have had to change my charger and the cable.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I find the original charging cable to be fine, but an extra long replacement I got creates a very poor connection and you have to be very precise with its placement or it wont charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The back of the old model is very flexible and can be quite easily prised off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's been tries with multiple cables and chargers - the things as dead as a do do. I'd read a few bits about it being a software glitch and trying it for a day charging and gave it a go with no success.

Cheers for the replies, might give it a go taking the back off for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Had something similar and got it back with a hard reset. You may have tried this already but if not

Hard Reset via Hardware

If your device is completely unresponsive, you still have one additional option.

1. Press the power button and both volume keys for several seconds. The computer screen will eventually blink off. Continue to hold until you see the Android recovery logo and the large Start selection at the top of the screen.

2. Move the volume keys up and down to see the menu selections. If you don’t want to factory reset, you can try to Power down or to Restart bootloader from these selections. The power key will select the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Binky Bricktop

Do you know anyone who has a dock charger? Mine has been a bit iffy when trying to charge it via a cable, but it's been charging fine in a dock. Might cheaper to get one than buy a new tablet - just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Its a very common issue. The micro usb connector is very weak on the nexus and micro usb is only guaranteed for a certain number of insertions anyway so is a pretty rubbish design.

Anyway, 1 hour job to sort yourself. Here is the part you need :
    http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-08301-00522000

Lots of youtube videos also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AdPTnETtE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5FagzLdbbM

The going rate to fix this in lot of repair stores is around 70-80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Flaccus wrote: »
    Its a very common issue. The micro usb connector is very weak on the nexus and micro usb is only guaranteed for a certain number of insertions anyway so is a pretty rubbish design.

Lots of youtube videos also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AdPTnETtE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5FagzLdbbM

The going rate to fix this in lot of repair stores is around 70-80 euro.

Thanks for that! I'll order the part and do it myself.

Anyone know the size screw driver required?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

If its needed urgently I'm sure a wireless charger will work with it too, or if you don't want to mess with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If its needed urgently I'm sure a wireless charger will work with it too, or if you don't want to mess with it.

No wireless charging on the 2012 Nexus 7, 2013 only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone know the size screw driver required?

A philips #0 should do you. A couple of euro in maplins.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

No wireless charging on the 2012 Nexus 7, 2013 only

Ah, you're right, had completely forgotten. :pac:

Flaccus wrote: »

How long does it take for delivery of that item to Ireland?

I ordered it on 29/07/2014 and the last tracking event for it is dated 2/08/2014 in Germany.

MuppetCheck did you order as well? And if so have you received it yet?

For anyone else looking for that part it also available on Amazon.

Wish I checked there before ordering, because it is cheaper and I would more than likely have the part by now.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I ordered the part from Amazon on Thursday, received it this morning. Only thing is I was ordering a whole bunch of stuff, some of which weren't fulfilled by Amazon like this, which got separated into separate orders. So I got stung for about a tenner delivery as they despatched is more or less immediately so didn't notice it until I got the delivery notification.

I'll stick it in later and see how it goes, mine can be literally left plugged in all day and still not charge completely.

Finally got the part from asus today. The first attempt at delivery went wrong and got returned to sender. They finally re-posted it last week using normal mail.

The only problem I could not open two internal screws, so have made inquires from a repair shop to see how much it will cost to have someone replace the part for me.

I didn't want to force the screws in case I damaged the top of them.

So if someone else is thinking of doing this, maybe make sure you can unscrew the screws before ordering the part.

If it's too costly I will probably just sell the part.

For €30 http://i-electron.ie replaced the part for me today (27/8) (in 2 hours), note I already had the part for them.

Exact same thing happened to me, 2 of the feckers feel like they're welded on. I ended up breaking one plastic clip from the speakers out of anger after my screw driver slipped breaking one of the antenna clips.

I'm going to by a new screw driver before trying again.

Finally got around to fixing mine today. I now have a nexus charged at 100% for the first time in months, and it only took a short time to get there from less than 50%.

But balls to those guys on YouTube doing the walk throughs. Their devices have already been taking apart, or had their screws tightened by 3 year olds.

You definitely need a good Philips #00 screw driver. The two final screws are right bastards, and just as bastards to put back in again, probably harder. Initially it felt like they weren't for turning but a bit of pressure did the trick.

I did manage to break the connections to the NFC antenna but I'll never use that anyway, and one from my WiFi antenna but a bit of wire and tape is a temporary solution for now.

Advertisement