Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

bradlente wrote: »

This is €250 on the Dell.ie website. I have one for a few weeks now and it does the basics quite well. Just had to adjust for performance. Grand screen, hard drive and battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

10% dell discount code on http://www.publicsectorroi.groupscheme.com so only €225 with discount.

Note: link does not work. You need to cut and paste the URL into your browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just to note that celeron is similar to an atom in performance. That link suggests it doesn't have ethernet or bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

It's Windows 8 but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of it having a touchscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

I assure you no touch screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

beauf wrote: »
    Just to note that celeron is similar to an atom in performance. That link suggests it doesn't have ethernet or bt.

No Ethernet port
    No BT
    No cd/DVD drive
    USB 2.0
    Celeron
    Win 8
    4 cell battery

With the above taken into consideration, I'd say that price is about it's worth.

I guess the point is that this is closer to a net book than a laptop in terms of performance but a lot less portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I guess the point is that this is closer to a net book than a laptop in terms of performance but a lot less portable.

Yes and tablets have that market covered. This is going to be a grand laptop for school work or college work were people are looking for a cheap solution.

evostik wrote: »
    10% dell discount code on http://www.publicsectorroi.groupscheme.com so only €225 with discount.

Note: link does not work. You need to cut and paste the URL into your browser.

Anybody know if you can use these on the dell site. Can't seem to log onto the 'vip' section

Yes and tablets have that market covered. This is going to be a grand laptop for school work or college work were people are looking for a cheap solution.

Oh I agree. If you want something low powered cheap but with a full keyboard and screen its perfect. But its important to know what its missing so you can make an educated purchase. I'd be curious to see how this performs with 720/1080 video things like netflix and youtube video considering the HDMI out.

I like the idea of it. Lots of people come to me with ancient broken laptops and PC's not worth fixing. Something like this is a cheap alternative.

• Advertisement

I like the idea of it. Lots of people come to me with ancient broken laptops and PC's not worth fixing. Something like this is a cheap alternative.

Ye I like the idea of this laptop specifically given it's timing. This would probably make an ideal 'first' laptop for those who need something for school or college and can't afford to stretch the budget. Especially if you can get the 10% code working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

Good price for a standerd laptop

Celeron processors are still better than atoms. In fact some of the atoms offer pretty decent performance these days (a lot better than the early lifecycle versions) and yes this is a rebadged atom cpu in this case. People have misconceptions about celeron cpu's because in the late 90's and early 2000's they were crap. Doesn't mean that they are now just 'cos the name is still used. This processor is not far off some i3 cpu's
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2830

In a basic laptop like this, it's important to have 4gb ram minimum and it does. Beware of ones with less than 4gb.

This laptop will easily play HD video files.

For a basic laptop for web browsing, email, video files and ms office it will do the job fine. Don't expect to be playing any fully-featured pc games from the last 4 to 5 years on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

glasso wrote: »
    Celeron processors are still better than atoms. In fact some of the atoms offer pretty decent performance these days (a lot better than the early lifecycle versions) and yes this is a rebadged atom cpu in this case. People have misconceptions about celeron cpu's because in the late 90's and early 2000's they were crap. Doesn't mean that they are now just 'cos the name is still used. This processor is not far off some i3 cpu's

For a basic laptop for web browsing, email, video files and ms office it will do the job fine. Don't expect to be playing any fully-featured pc games from the last 4 to 5 years on it though.

Exactly. I bought this to replace a netbook, using it for sitting room internet use. Connectivity is basic, with no ethernet, bluetooth, usb 3, or optical drive, but HDMI out is there and works grand, speakers are not awful and the screen is okay, though viewing angles are not impressive. Hard drive is 500gb, 4gb of RAM. Initially windows 8.1 freezes occasionally but when change settings to adjust for best performance it goes along nicely.

I get asked all the time to recommend a laptop that will be used for the basics and this does all of that well at a very low price. It does look and feel cheap though, plenty of give in the case and probably wouldn't last long if it was to get bashed around. But for €250 or less I can't think of a new laptop that compares.

glasso wrote: »

In a basic laptop like this, it's important to have 4gb ram minimum and it does. Beware of ones with less than 4gb.

Thats a very poor way of comparing cpu's

For example one has Intel HD4000 the other Intel HD. Which makes a significant difference for hardware acceleration of Video and Browsers. I've known core2duo chips to struggle with HD video without a decent gpu. The Intel Celeron N2820 which is very similar seems to score around the same as Intel Core2 Duo T5550, E4300, Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ . Its probably fine with 720p which is probably the max you'll use the laptop for.
    Many people seem to have stuck a SSD in it to make snappier. Which might be defeating the purpose of a cheap laptop. That its cheap.

But its a nice cheap machine for someone with antique PC/laptop on its last legs.

Advertisement