Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suncream marks on a silver car.

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭

Have some of these on my current daily and really want to remove them.

Also for slightly faded headlights are the kits worth it or will i get similar results with AG SRP and abit of elbow grease ?

Thanks
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

For suncream marks on my car I use safe cut does great job on them I find with elbow grease. Not sure about headlights some say toothpaste and elbow grease does good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

For both problems a light machine polish would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Curran wrote: »
    For both problems a light machine polish would be the best option.

Would a hand buffing with AG SRP have any effect at all ?

Was gonna seal car this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Ya need something slightly abrasive to remove sun cream it's a dose of a thing to shift I find anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Would a hand buffing with AG SRP have any effect at all ?

Was gonna seal car this evening

Won't do a tap.

SRP is more of a filler polish than a cutting polish, very little abrasive in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Doubt it, but if you have it...no harm in trying it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

You could try covering the entire car with sun cream, then you wouldn't notice the spots :p

On a serious note, I could never get rid of them on the levin by hand polishing. I think they were sun cream marks anyway, yellow finger marks on the edge of the drivers door. Hand polishing made them disappear for a while but they always came back. The da took them off in about 3 seconds though :). Pity I didn't see this thread sooner! I'm actually in Galway at the moment and could have brought the da to you for a lend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

This works 100%...put it on last year, they haven't returned to date.
    312583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You could try covering the entire car with sun cream, then you wouldn't notice the spots :p

On a serious note, I could never get rid of them on the levin by hand polishing. I think they were sun cream marks anyway, yellow finger marks on the edge of the drivers door. Hand polishing made them disappear for a while but they always came back. The da took them off in about 3 seconds though :). Pity I didn't see this thread sooner! I'm actually in Galway at the moment and could have brought the da to you for a lend!

Aww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Also for slightly faded headlights are the kits worth it or will i get similar results with AG SRP and abit of elbow grease ?

Thanks
    Jim

I'd say depends how slightly faded!

Mine were only partially cloudy and toothpaste did nothing. Compound helped a bit the first time I attempted it. Had another go a week or two ago, this time with fine grit wet-n-dry sandpaper (1500 grit then 2500 grit) followed by the compound. I'd say a 90% restoration - even with the harshness of the sandpaper, I should have started with a rougher one to get more of the dozed plastic off and had more faith in the later steps to restore the smooth finish.

Used the following as a polish/sealant and UV protection: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A3S1RGU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No doubt will need to reapply again next year, and eventually a restoration will be needed again - but it was well worth the effort, more light from the headlights and it makes a dramatic difference to how old (or not!) the car looks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I had some on my wife's car last week. Tried a "heavy duty" car wash. Did nothing. Polish. Nothing. WD40. Nothing (Why? I heard it somewhere!), and finally found a tube of tcut in my shed. Got rid of it very quickly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beefmcguire

Thanks to the hero who gave the rubber idea! I used 3 pencil rubbers and 1 hour of elbow grease and my problem is solved. Car was destroyed with prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beefmcguire

Wooooooo

Advertisement