Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

• 10-06-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It would appear the time is nigh! The mighty GabeN teases us once more with cheap games, great bundles, and general merriment amongst the Master Race populace!

310414.JPG

I discovered this on the 'Badges' section of my Steam profile and it is usually a sign that an event is near. The usual Thursday prediction has proven true so far and therefore we can assume it will be this coming Thursday or the following one.

Obligatory media:

Golden rules:

Only buy a game that is on the 'Daily Deals' section. Wait, wait, and wait some more. If it never appears on the 'Daily Deal's then it is safe to buy the game on the final day.

Only buy games you want to play right now.

Always be there for the 18:00 changeover as there is a chance you could get a game incredibly cheap due to mistakes in the discounting.

Sometimes buying 4 packs can give you the chance to trade spare copies for other games.

If in doubt, but you know its a great deal, buy the game as a 'Gift' and leave it in your inventory until you know you will play it. If you don't play it, then you still have the option to trade it for something you will play.

Finally, we all know there are other websites which do similar, if not better deals, but the Steam Sale is like a commemorative event now and it started the deals on other sites so don't be too harsh on it or your wallet.

In GabeN we trust.

Personally, I am looking to pick up some small titles and classic adventures! Also hoping for the Splinter Cell collection! What are you looking to pick up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Half life 3

But seriously. Good pointer about keeping games as gifts in inventory. Oh the backlog I could save myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Anime nerd in me prefers this vid :D

Gonna be looking for the Soul Reaver bundle on sale again, missed it last time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's June 19th until July 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Nothing gets by the good folk over on neogaf. They always find out well in advance of when the sale will be on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looking forward to see if any good co-op games on sale; having played to the max LFD2 and Borderlands 1&2,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hallelujah! Age of Empires II HD is all I really want at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Anything that Ive been wanting for 5 euro or less. I used to buy anything interesting for 5 or less but that left me with a backlog of games I cant be assed to play. Dark souls, skyrim legendary edition off the top of my head. Anything above 5 euro that I want gets put on my wishlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hallelujah! Age of Empires II HD is all I really want at the moment.

From Bargain Alerts
    Moon54 wrote: »
    State of Decay is on sale atm on GMG. €4.03 with the coupon code; IFDSUM-MERSAL-E15OFF
    That's the lowest price I've seen this game for. :)

Also Age of Empires II HD Edition @ €4 is also a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Looking forward to the sale but after I buy a load of games I'll inevitably just go back to playing Skyrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think I already have everything I want from Steam, I've been ploughing the depths of... Origin lately. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ugh, i already bought all these games for dirt cheap during other sales :mad:

/firstworldproblems

Kiith wrote: »
    Ugh, i already bought all these games for dirt cheap during other sales :mad:

/firstworldproblems

Quiet you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I think I already have everything I want from Steam, I've been ploughing the depths of... Origin lately. :o

i was looking at some of the 70% off stuff on origin last night, they have 270 titles. Granted, most of that is DLC for the same set of games they have as their topsellers, but there are some genuine bargains there that are vastly cheaper than steam right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I was pretty excited, but considering since I started my new job I've counted myself lucky if I get to play two hours a fortnight, realistically there's nothing to buy that won't sit in my library for months.

Unless Stick of Truth gets a decent discount, then I'm all over that.

i was looking at some of the 70% off stuff on origin last night, they have 270 titles. Granted, most of that is DLC for the same set of games they have as their topsellers, but there are some genuine bargains there that are vastly cheaper than steam right now.

Aye, it was like Christmas for me since I had never played Dragon Age 2 or Dead Space 2 and 3. I got them all for peanuts. It's worth checking out while folks are waiting on the Steam sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I wonder why they have changed the typical sale time this year... Afaik, it always started in and around July 4th. Maybe Valve think they need to mix things up a bit and are aware that Steam users have become a little tired with the predictability? Hopefully, they will try something big and new this year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Falthyron wrote: »
    I wonder why they have changed the typical sale time this year... Afaik, it always started in and around July 4th. Maybe Valve think they need to mix things up a bit and are aware that Steam users have become a little tired with the predictability? Hopefully, they will try something big and new this year. :)

I've heard it's only been moved to avoid clashing with the big DOTA 2 tournament that takes place in mid-July. Is it "The International" or summat?

As for the sale itself, I've been out of the PC gaming scene for years, so I'll be spending relatively big this summer, mainly on older stuff that my PC can actually run! 75% off Solitaire please Gaben! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just bought the ME series for a tenner on Origin. Would have waited for Steam if I had known it was that close :(

Anyway, want Pappers Please and Walking Dead S2.

Just bought the ME series for a tenner on Origin. Would have waited for Steam if I had known it was that close :(

ME3 is not available on Steam so you did the right thing.

ME3 can stuff it's multicolored endings somewhere else

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    ME3 can stuff it's multicolored endings somewhere else

I think it might be time to take a deep breath and let it go.

I think it might be time to take a deep breath and let it go.

I mean I didn't buy it and I'm not mad. I'm just not motivated to finish ME2 :/ I see ME3 for $6 and it's tempting but I can't even ME2. I can't. You know what it is? I need that action break that ME1 had. Your intermission between missions was rolling around in a tank flying up mountain ranges and nuking sand worms :)

I mean I didn't buy it and I'm not mad. I'm just not motivated to finish ME2 :/ I see ME3 for $6 and it's tempting but I can't even ME2. I can't. You know what it is? I need that action break that ME1 had. Your intermission between missions was rolling around in a tank flying up mountain ranges and nuking sand worms :)

To be honest, I'd say buy it and just go for it. The experience right up to the final moments is well worth it and a disappointing last few minutes really doesn't stop it being a worthwhile journey. You're missing out by allowing yourself to be put off by this. In my opinion, of course.

Hell the Citadel DLC for ME3 alone makes it worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Would like a nice discount on Tropico 5 but i doubt that will happen this soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think Walking Dead Season 2 is the only thing I'm watching for. Will also keep an eye out for Bioshock Infinite Season Pass through this and other sites like Amazon

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Would like a nice discount on Tropico 5 but i doubt that will happen this soon

I still have tropico 3 in my backlog. Too soon for 5 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I still have tropico 3 in my backlog. Too soon for 5 :p

Iv only tried 4,, still like to play 5 now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Oh, you mean like killing a reaper with a threshermaw?

you owe it to yourself to finish ME2 and play ME3 Overheal, ye really do! The combat is a lot different in 3 than it was in 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's got some fantastic moments, with pretty much all the old characters making an appearance. Yeah, it's let down by it's ending (which isn't as bad with the extended version), but as above, it's an absolutely fantastic series, which you should definitely play...especially for that price.

And get Citadel if you do, as it's up there with the best DLC ever made.

• Advertisement

ME3 is definitely worth a play. With the extended ending and leviathan the ending makes a lot more sense.

EDIT: Had a look into getting the DLC for ME2 and ME3, not really worth it for PC. They still use those stupid bioware points and costs more than the game. Would it kill them to make a goty edition or put them on sale once a year?

ME3 is definitely worth a play. With the extended ending and leviathan the ending makes a lot more sense.

EDIT: Had a look into getting the DLC for ME2 and ME3, not really worth it for PC. They still use those stupid bioware points and costs more than the game. Would it kill them to make a goty edition or put them on sale once a year?

I agree, they DLC really needs to scale with the price of the game! Although, I must admit that I enjoyed Citadel so much that I still think it's worth the price of admission. :pac:

I agree, they DLC really needs to scale with the price of the game! Although, I must admit that I enjoyed Citadel so much that I still think it's worth the price of admission. :pac:

Had this issue with dragon age 2, wanted to get the DLC after spending 5 euro for the game. 10 euro each is a bit steep. Bethesda dont disappoint with GoTY editions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wish I'd gotten Citadel before finishing ME3. Even with the extended ending I thought it was a weak finish. That's a crying shame because they did so much right with the rest of the game. ME2 was kind of aimless, went overboard with the cover-shooting at the expense of the little things that I liked about ME1, and ME3 went a long way towards striking a balance between the competent action of 2 with the focus and depth of 1.

Although that Cereberus assassin guy was just an irritating nonce, he had no business being there...

By all accounts Citadel gives you the ending you really want, a little before the damp squib of the "real" one. If I can motivate myself to play again, I'll be getting Citadel first.

So, uh, how about that Steam summer sale, then? I like cheap games.

Had this issue with dragon age 2, wanted to get the DLC after spending 5 euro for the game. 10 euro each is a bit steep. Bethesda dont disappoint with GoTY editions!

yeah im hoping to see skyrim DLC on sale for a change.

It was kinda stupid, if you owned the game already the DLC has never really been on sale enough to justify it

that, and I have about 100 hours of main title content I could easily chew through if i wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I bought the DLC in the last sale I think so it was probably cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Skyrim legendary was about $12 recently on gmg or game fly steam redeemable. Doubt it will be any cheaper on steam itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Y2GmIT7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I just hope that the special trading cards this sale can't be crafted for an infinite number of levels... I bought way too many of them at the end of the sales just to boost my Steam level e-peen and to try get lucky and nab the super-rare TF2 hat...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I just hope that the special trading cards this sale can't be crafted for an infinite number of levels... I bought way too many of them at the end of the sales just to boost my Steam level e-peen and to try get lucky and nab the super-rare TF2 hat...

only for it to be sold on the black market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

only for it to be sold on the black market.

If I'd nabbed something super-rare from the other games, black market for sure. In fact, I still have a DotA Steamcape and those things go for around €30...

Randolph though would have stayed put in my inventory and I'd have switched to playing Sniper 100% of the time :P

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Would like to see Wolfenstein go on sale, but with it only being released last month I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

Would like to see Wolfenstein go on sale, but with it only being released last month I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

Same, I wouldn't buy it at full price but if it got decently discounted I'd like to pick it up. Can't see it happening this time around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Usually with the Xmas Sale you will find games that launched in the October/November might drop by 33%, so there is a chance Wolfenstein will see a marginal drop. Only as a Daily Deal though!

seems it already has: link
    Out of stock now but the thread is a week old. Pays to keep an eye on other sites other than steam.

Currys/PC World in England are doing an offer this week where you can buy £40 worth of steam voucher for £30.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/starts-18th-2-x-20-steam-vouchers-just-30-currys-pc-world-1930955#comments

Anyone know if the Irish stores are doing something similar?

Tinie wrote: »
    Currys/PC World in England are doing an offer this week where you can buy £40 worth of steam voucher for £30.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/starts-18th-2-x-20-steam-vouchers-just-30-currys-pc-world-1930955#comments

Anyone know if the Irish stores are doing something similar?

seeing as they got out of gaming then probably not. :(

my summer's final exam is over at 12 on thursday

the summer sale starts at 12 on thursday

everything went better than expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's a sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don't they normally start at 6pm our time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement