Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Martin

Options
  • 07-06-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Did the cycle for life again this year, great day and brilliant cause. Dan waited and chatted, had photos with anyone and everyone at the end and must have been stood there for hours.after all the recent bad publicity around the sport and certain riders I just wanted to say what an absolute gentleman he was and really made the day for everyone involved. Not just a great cyclist but such a humble, down to earth guy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Did the cycle for life again this year, great day and brilliant cause. Dan waited and chatted, had photos with anyone and everyone at the end and must have been stood there for hours.after all the recent bad publicity around the sport and certain riders I just wanted to say what an absolute gentleman he was and really made the day for everyone involved. Not just a great cyclist but such a humble, down to earth guy.

Totally agree with the above. I was genuinely impressed with him today. He had time for everyone. Gentleman is the word to describe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Fair play to him for doing that. Very approachable guy. I think many pros would be surrounded by an entourage in similar circumstances allowing only restricted access.

One thing though - he is very thin! If you didn't know he was a pro cyclist, you would say he was under nourished and offer him a decent meal. Incredible what these guys put themselves through for still relatively little compared to other professional athletes.

My first time at this event. Very atmospheric at the start/finish HQ. Familiar roads but a nice spin and well marshalled apart from a couple of junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's a good interview with Dan on cyclingnews.com
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-dan-martin-reflects-on-a-season-of-highs-and-lows?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Given his misfortunes during the year, the last 10 seconds of the video interview is funny!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    There's a good interview with Dan on cyclingnews.com
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-dan-martin-reflects-on-a-season-of-highs-and-lows?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Given his misfortunes during the year, the last 10 seconds of the video interview is funny!

I posted this on the video thread. The crash at the end is priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

MPFG wrote: »

Good move? Better then sky which I've also heard rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Not so sure this is a good move. Will he be a Domestique for Alaphilippe or Julian do it for Dan.
    A strong team working for one leader is one thing (a la Sky in TDF) but a strong team of many leaders can be a poor outcome (Quickstep in spring classics).
    Glad to see him out of Garmin - he has done very well there but i think he needs to move to get even better. But QS, let's see.

You can definitely work for 2 leaders in a classic. Kwiatowski is on his way so there's room for another Ardennes man.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

At least he gets to wear some nice kit and ditch the gammy space helmet

alanucc wrote: »
    At least he gets to wear some nice kit and ditch the gammy space helmet

The Garmin TDF jersey is a thing of beauty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pudsy33 wrote: »

The POC helmet certainly is not though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Good move. Those guys know their business and they'll put him where he needs to be come the pointy end of the Ardennes days (His biggest weakness.... bar his over familiarity with the tarmac)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »

Pointed it out to the missus in all its horribleness during the tour. She thought it was ok. I think that she needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Etixx seem to be the team were everyone is giving a chance to win unlike others were there is a plan A only so for me this is a good move.
    Garmin never got Dan in the right positions at the end of stages/one day races and basically had to come from behind and do most of the work on his own which made him just miss out on more victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Garmin never got Dan in the right positions at the end of stages/one day races and basically had to come from behind and do most of the work on his own which made him just miss out on more victories.

he has some responsibility, Dan needs to get Dan into a good position - too often he is caught in a bad position and / or crashes, sometimes you know he is going to crash before it happens- it is not just being unlucky all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Haha as soon as I seen the Jersey the line "cycling is the new golf" came straight to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Dan confirmed to be moving on, having rejected a renewal offer from Cannondale Garmin. Interesting time ahead. Trek or Etixx mooted as his new team....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-to-leave-cannondale-garmin-at-the-end-of-this-season/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    I liked it, I may be the only one, ever, but I did like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Dan's first win for Ettixx . Is this in fact his first win since Lombardy in 2014? Anyway, great to see him winning again, some decent competition behind him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Koobcam wrote: »
    Dan's first win for Ettixx . Is this in fact his first win since Lombardy in 2014? Anyway, great to see him winning again, some decent competition behind him as well.

Seems like he timed his attack perfectly. Nice to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hope he does it today as well

But he certainly looks good at the moment...pretty strong looking

Today Aru , Jon Izzagire and SKY are main contenders but no reason why Dan can't get some GC time back and win stage

Very nice last climb to Xorret de Cati as seen here in the 2010 Vuelta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1JE5sOymk

Advertisement