Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting from landlord abroad

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,
    i am looking at renting my first apartment and have found the perfect one online however the landlord is out of the country and wants us to send money before we see the apartment. once this has happened he will send someone with the keys for us to have a look and if we like it sign a lease. i gather from his emails that if we dont like it this person will give us back the money we sent originally. as i have said this is my first time renting. my parents think it sounds a bit fishy but i don't know if that is a practice used by landlords. wondering of someone could help me out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

stay well away!!

ask him if he has a car in the port in malaga for sale at a discount rate too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Barna152

Don't even touch this one. No legit landlord will ask you to send money before you even see the apartment. This is 100% a scam. Be sure to report it on the website where you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

absolutely scam...money upfront before you see the place...come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

niamh92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    i am looking at renting my first apartment and have found the perfect one online however the landlord is out of the country and wants us to send money before we see the apartment. once this has happened he will send someone with the keys for us to have a look and if we like it sign a lease. i gather from his emails that if we dont like it this person will give us back the money we sent originally. as i have said this is my first time renting. my parents think it sounds a bit fishy but i don't know if that is a practice used by landlords. wondering of someone could help me out

I would listen to your parents in this case. Sounds very fishy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Definitely a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I have read some posts before where people have managed to take the photos used in the offending advert and trace them back to their origins...normally ends up being a really cool place in Barcelona or Mongolia....maybe someone here knows how but it's a definite scam

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

if you have photos of the place and google chrome just right click on one of the photos and "search google for this image". theres plenty of scammers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 20 niamh92

thanks everyone. never mind my parents when i said it to my boyfriend he nearly went mad!

if you have photos of the place and google chrome just right click on one of the photos and "search google for this image". theres plenty of scammers out there

the same apartment is also for rent in d.1, d.6, sallynoggin and is a hotel in chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Scam. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

the same apartment is also for rent in d.1, d.6, sallynoggin and is a hotel in chelsea
    Some sort of TARDIS you've found there! Yeah, typical scam behaviour but it must still be catching people out or they wouldn't still be at it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Niamh, please report the ad so that it can be removed by the websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

can you post a link please??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

These are fake:

daft.ie/21450703

daft.ie/21450667

I saw many similar to these over the weekend, with this in the description, they probably want to be emailed directly to that when daft.ie remove the ad they have to way of letting people who replied know it was a scam

PLEASE NOTE VERY CAREFUL:

I can't respond you from my user because i working very much time and i am very busy and i don't have time to enter on my user.

I can send you my work email to give you more information about my apartment.

Here is my personal email to contact me here:

________(at)gmail com
    Please don't forget to contact in my work mail!!
    Thank you for your attention

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

As others have said, it's definitely a scam. Sounds like one I reported on Daft yesterday (was also a hotel in Chelsea). Seems to have been removed by Daft but has been replaced by similar scam ads (have reported them too).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm in the wrong kind of business some money to be made here.

All these scam are very similar linked with property for sale such as cars, bikes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

Yea reported it to them. Sounds like the same ad that i replied to. A man from Germany with a sob story in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The way things are is it's a Landlords market and they are able to charge big amounts.

If you are serious about renting get wise and don't deal over phone or net.

Arrange to meet or that is fine but don't have money upfront.
    A estate agent or that is probably the best way to go unless you get a decent LL.

Yea think an agency is best

• Advertisement
Advertisement