Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft Discussion - No Spoilers/Experts/Twitter

• 08-05-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭

Think we had one of these last year, and Higgins mentioned it over in the main Draft Thread.

So, as the Title says, discussion for the 2014 draft, only no quoting of the experts, mock drafts, anyone on Twitter, etc. We'll try and keep the spoilers to a minimum as best we can. (This stands for prior to the pick. Quoting an expert's thoughts on a pick that has already been made is fine)

Complaining about Mayock spoiling picks, after the pick has been made, is probably fair and warranted :D

Looking forward to this now. See ye all at 1am with a beer in hand and snacks in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good idea for a thread. I've logged off Twitter and such for the night now. Going to try the ESPN coverage tonight with Kiper and McShay for a while to see what that's like as a couple of people have said to me that they didn't even do the Mayock "guessing" last year.

One of my favourite nights of the year of any sport is draft night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread. I've logged off Twitter and such for the night now. Going to try the ESPN coverage tonight with Kiper and McShay for a while to see what that's like as a couple of people have said to me that they didn't even do the Mayock "guessing" last year.

One of my favourite nights of the year of any sport is draft night :D

Might check that out as well, actually. GamePass is so handy though :p

The wait for this is torture though, ain't it?

Least I've a Madden game in our Franchise at 10 to pass some time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Presumably people watching on sky will see the picks before those on gamepass who in turn will see it before those streaming. people just checking twitter will hear of them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Going to watch the 2 shows on Sky Sports starting at 10. Looking forward to this later now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Knex can you clarify what you mean by "only no quoting of the experts, mock drafts, anyone on Twitter".

Is this thread just to people spoiling picks before they are announced or we can't quote experts at all? As in if Mike Mayock tweets after a pick is announced "so and so is a great pick for the Texans because blah blah" we can't post that?

Wondering why we need a second draft thread and split the discussion.

Hazys wrote: »
    Knex can you clarify what you mean by "only no quoting of the experts, mock drafts, anyone on Twitter".

Is this thread just to people spoiling picks before they are announced or we can't quote experts at all? As in if Mike Mayock tweets after a pick is announced "so and so is a great pick for the Texans because blah blah" we can't post that?

I'm one of the least rule pushing people ever, so having you ask me this feels kinda weird :p

Nah, its mainly just spoilers this is for. Obviously after a pick we can quote away as that only adds to the discussion.

The rule stands for prior to each pick, really.

The OP is edited now too.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm one of the least rule pushing people ever, so having you ask me this feels kinda weird :p

Nah, its mainly just spoilers this is for. Obviously after a pick we can quote away as that only adds to the discussion.

The rule stands for prior to each pick, really.

The OP is edited now too.

I thought we should just apply that rule to the original thread as opposed to creating a new one as the discussions gets split up...meh who cares really, i guess people will be posting in team threads too

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Howler of a day in work.

Going to enjoy every second of this bad boy.

Hazys wrote: »

I thought we should just apply that rule to the original thread as opposed to creating a new one as the discussions gets split up...meh who cares really, i guess people will be posting in team threads too

It would be great if we could do that mate but it never happens. Last year there was a moderator warning in place not to spoil picks IIRC, but some people came into the thread late and hadn't seen it and spoilt a couple of picks. There's always people who have to try and get in there first too that will spoil them in the main thread.

It's probably just handier to have a seperate thread where once Godell has annouced the pick we can discuss it but still have the suspense and banter as we go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Feckin killing me to miss it live.... but I won't miss the NFL Network lads 'guessing' before correctly suggesting who they 'think' X team will pick. What a load of bollix that was last year, ruined it. They better not be at that **** again.

Right finished work...off home to set up my War Room

aka sit in my jocks and order pizza while F5ing twitter waiting for the draft to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Good idea would be to have one person nominated to post "Round 1, Pick 1: The Texans select Jadeveon Clowney" when its official and then it can be discussed..

Edit: I don't mind doing it. I'm up for the night, only im watching on Gamepass if people don't mind a slight delay...

Good idea would be to have one person nominated to post "Round 1, Pick 1: The Texans select Jadeveon Clowney" when its official and then it can be discussed..

Edit: I don't mind doing it. I'm up for the night, only im watching on Gamepass if people don't mind a slight delay...

Sounds good to me. That slight delay won't bother me.

Anyone watching the Andrew Luck master class on Sky. Very enjoyable so far

Great idea. Cheers man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Watching sky's coverage from last year, and they go from tyrion matthieu in tears at getting picked, to lattimer family going apesh*the insane over his selection by the 49ers, to... Denmark Robinson looking legitimately depressed when the Jags called his name. Hilarious stuff! :p

****ing spoilers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

****ing spoilers :rolleyes:

Fine, I'll be more cryptic.

With the 1st pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select.... J. Clowney.

No wait, that's too obvious.

The Houston Texans select.... Jadeveon C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Fine, I'll be more cryptic.

With the 1st pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select.... J. Clowney.

No wait, that's too obvious.

The Houston Texans select.... Jadeveon C.

dude use code names at least cadeveon jowney :D

I've been quickly looking at some more Manziel tape and the one thing that stands out to me more than anything - Mike Evans. Man, he made so many big plays.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Watching sky's coverage from last year, and they go from tyrion matthieu in tears at getting picked, to lattimer family going apesh*the insane over his selection by the 49ers, to... Denmark Robinson looking legitimately depressed when the Jags called his name. Hilarious stuff! :p

I wonder what Lattimore will be like for the 49ers this year. Can't help but think that it was a steal of a pick last year

nerd69 wrote: »
    dude use code names at least cadeveon jowney :D

Ha, its like the old Pro Evos :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This is the least prepared for any NFL draft that I can remember being really. Didn't get to watch any college ball at all last year and haven't been following the mock drafts etc. I have a good idea of team needs and stuff, but this is gonna be a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Praying to the football gods that gamepass works

Many a Sunday evening was spent watching the pre game shows and then gamepass failed at 6pm when the whole world tried to get on

:(

Is this a Spoiler? (:p) Eric Ebron proposed to his girlfriend of two years today.

Cynic in me is saying she's hopping on the gravy time just at the right time :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Praying to the football gods that gamepass works

Many a Sunday evening was spent watching the pre game shows and then gamepass failed at 6pm when the whole world tried to get on

:(

All running smoothly for me so far anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is the least prepared for any NFL draft that I can remember being really. Didn't get to watch any college ball at all last year and haven't been following the mock drafts etc. I have a good idea of team needs and stuff, but this is gonna be a bit strange.

I'm like yourself and I prefer it that way. Ever since the 'experts' missed a certain 199th pick back in 2000, I never pass to much heed of them or their hype. I like to focus on the teams positional needs, rather than my preferred individual picks. That way I don't really feel let down if a player I like is missed or passed over. But each to their own.

Knex. wrote: »
    Is this a Spoiler? (:p) Eric Ebron proposed to his girlfriend of two years today.

Cynic in me is saying she's hopping on the gravy time just at the right time :pac:

As long as he does a Russel Wilson and gets out before the end of his rookie contract, he'll fine. :pac:

**** that just pre-nup

Spoken like a true cynic, Paully. Proud of ya :pac:

:eek::eek: odell beckhams mom