Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climb the equivelent of Mt Everest on a bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk Doyle, your new challenge awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

George Mallory's account of his ultimately successful attempt on this is a great read,

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/05/mt-everest-in-a-day/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

So that's 37 x Kilmashogue (+ a smidgen)

I am just going outside and may be some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I cycled from Lhasa to Base Camp and that is something I'll never forget as it was a bloody tough cycle the higher you go. This is also worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ran_Kropp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just do the Evil 200 twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

already done the equivalent 4 times year to date :pac:

not going to do it all at once ever through.

I do however have my eye on this one sometime in the next 2 years I hope
    http://www.strava.com/segments/haleakala-%22world-s-longest-paved-climb%22-638944

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I do however have my eye on this one sometime in the next 2 years I hope
    http://www.strava.com/segments/haleakala-%22world-s-longest-paved-climb%22-638944

One boardsie have already finished this monster :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    One boardsie have already finished this monster :eek:

Donnach Cutris did Patricks Hill 150 times in October. Including climb up Coburg Street and total elevation of Patrick Street must be near 50m a lap. Not quite Everest but some feat

22 times up Conor Pass S-N 22 times, likely tailwind, 6% average, decent surface...

Almost doable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Ive done the marmotte a few times (5000m~ each) and around that time there was a charity cycle up alpe dhuez, 8 ascents I think it was some did, its 1070m each x8 = sic (or not) they fell short of everesting that day by a mere 290m (8560m vs 8848m) :\

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hells500 seem to be the main instigators of this madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Chapeau and kudos to thebouldwacker.
    Over the weekend he everested The Borlin valley climb from the Cork side a total of 31 times over 29 hours.
    Close in 9000m of vertical ascent in 460km.

Awestruck

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

ROK ON wrote: »
    Chapeau and kudos to thebouldwacker.
    Over the weekend he everested The Borlin valley climb from the Cork side a total of 31 times over 29 hours.
    Close in 9000m of vertical ascent in 460km.

Awestruck

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Thanks for all that. It was certainly an adventure, I wandered into parts of my body and soul which I didn't know existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks for all that. It was certainly an adventure, I wandered into parts of my body and soul which I didn't know existed.

What was the most generous gearing you had available for this epic undertaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Madness. Utter madness. Well done that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What did you do in the five hours your weren't moving? How much did you eat? How did you keep the recording device going for 24 hours?

Nothing special. Standard double crank with a new 28 on the rear which I got for the mofo1200, a few extra teeth than I'm used to but I'm worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Nothing special. Standard double crank with a new 28 on the rear which I got for the mofo1200, a few extra teeth than I'm used to but I'm worth it!

really amazing achievement. This undertaking deserves a big juicy detailed account to be posted: Was it a whim or how planned were you? How did you pick the hill? Had you worked out roughly how long it would take? How strong did you feel as you were going through it? How did the last downhill feel!

Wacker

Why the Borlin - was it closeness to Bantry or elevation and length or something else.

It is my favourite climb but I would have thought that Caha Pass gives similar level of elevation but with a better surface and a straightforward descent.
    Borlin is a technical descent on a very narrow road with no real line of sight of many parts of the road.

How long have you planned this or was it a spur of the moment post Flèche and MF1200.
    What will you do next?
    Can we buy a t-shirt?

• Advertisement

What did you do in the five hours your weren't moving?

Try to get back on the bike...
    I wanted to keep the brakes as short as possible but in the last quarter I became kinder to myself as I didn't want to pick up a silly avoidable injury. I reached a stage where I could tell if a pain was just a pain or an injury so I slowed it down a bit.

How much did you eat?
    Not much but came with all my food at the bottom. All real food, pre made wraps of chicken, tuna and cured ham. Creamed rice, nuts fruit. Some cereal bars and fruit cake for a sugar rush. I also had a flask of coffee which became as loved as the finest single malt.

How did you keep the recording device going for 24 hours?
    Dynamo hub and 810 so charged it over night while I needed it with a light. Removed and replaced with regular wheel during day light. I also had a second back up power light which I would use descending or if a car was coming.

Was it a whim or how planned were you?
    I came across Hells500 a good while ago so the idea was in my mind for over a year. When I decided to do the MoFo1200 I knew that was my chance as I would have the fitness and mental strength for it.

How did you pick the hill?
    I had change hills a few time for practicality, I only picked the Borlinn two weeks ago. I went down , cycled it and that was that. In my mind the hill doesn't really matter, getting hit by a bag of hammers or stones. The idea of taking the longest spin was the deciding factor though.

Had you worked out roughly how long it would take?
    Yes, I was wrong.

How strong did you feel as you were going through it?
    I have never gone through such emotions on the bike before. I have done a few epic rides in my time but this was a different beast.

How did the last downhill feel!
    Mentally great, but physically it hurt every part of my body, every part. I had decided earlier to finish on my last assent and get in the car at the top but after a lot of self talk (and a Turkish delight) I decided to take the last 8km. I'm glad I did but each assent and descent was different.

Why the Borlin - was it closeness to Bantry or elevation and length or something else.
    I looked at Seve65's hill list as a guide. I had picked the Conor Pass but for practical reasons it couldn't happen there. I thought of the Caha and others but the chance to take the longest spin was too much of a temptation.

It is my favourite climb but I would have thought that Caha Pass gives similar level of elevation but with a better surface and a straightforward descent.
    Borlin is a technical descent on a very narrow road with no real line of sight of many parts of the road.

Yes the descent was no gift. Is was dangerous in parts and the surface is without major potholes it is akin to a surface bike builders would use to test the frame for durability because it's so uneven. Being shaken like that as well as the bends, gravel, wild life, traffic and big drops into the valley floor for 230km certainly took it's toll. If I am to do another it certainly would be a factor.

How long have you planned this or was it a spur of the moment post Flèche and MF1200.

As above I planned that they would all be pieces of one big plan.

What will you do next?
    Make sure my wife knows that I appreciate all that she did for me so I can plan my next spin, of which I have a few ideas, I'm not sure the 2014 plan is quite finished yet, but all these things must be flexible or it would drive me crazy.

Can we buy a t-shirt?
    No, but apparently I am now entitled to buy a Hells500 Grey Stripe jersey (kit) and you know what? I think I might just do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Great write up TBW. You're gonna go for some kinda record next, aren't you?

Always with the Turkish Delights T, always with he Turkish.

Which reminds me that I still ow you one from a few years back.
    Take it easy and well wear on the new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Sensational ride. Chapeau to you for having the balls to take it on. It's something that I could dream of doing, but that's as close as I'd get.

They are all pb's I'm happy with that, if there is something in the vicinity which is worth aiming for a bit of healthy competition is always good.

Turkish Delight, it's like a nice pair of socks... It may not solve any problems but it will always make you feel better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have there been (m)any other comparable endurance sport endeavours like this in ireland?
    should you not be on nationwide now with mary kennedy making comments about your calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Yes the descent was no gift. Is was dangerous in parts and the surface is without major potholes it is akin to a surface bike builders would use to test the frame for durability because it's so uneven. Being shaken like that as well as the bends, gravel, wild life, traffic and big drops into the valley floor for 230km certainly took it's toll. If I am to do another it certainly would be a factor.

Are you f*$%ing sane ?

Advertisement