Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoutcast

Options
  • 05-05-2014 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Anyone know what the hell is going on with the shoutcast servers. Tonnes of stations listed on it wont play. I use and would like to continue to use Winamp and even when I try to pick up the url for the streams I like to listen to from the stations website directly, they still wont play.

I know that Radionomy have taken over but are they just letting the service go to hell in a handbasket by listing lots of stations that won't play?

BTW I have tried other players / browsers, various OS's and different pc's etc. Nothing seems to be working. I like to use Winamp cause I use the SoundSolution multi-band compresser plugin which makes the tunes sound great (to me at least) and then feed it into a Dennon AV receiver.

Haven't been able to listen to my favourate stations for a month now and am going demented.:mad:

Any insights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MOST stations have live streams, which can be played in a browser,
    by going to the website, eg bbc 4 uk
    eg rte.ie radio , without using shoutcast .
    Many programs are in a downloadable podcast format.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Sorted this out.

Would you believe it turns out that I had set the firewall in the upc router to medium some weeks back while checking security etc. and this is the cause.

Winamp is running fine now but have to keep the upc router firewall on low setting as there is no other setting to tweak with it. Have the windows firewall running anyway - not sure if both are needed but have them running all the same.

What threw me was the fact that certain streams from shoutcast and tunein would work but most wouldn't so didn't suspect anything other than browsers and codecs. Having tested my favourits stations on a mates pc, on which they worked I began to suspect ports being blocked and tried suspending the firewalls and bingo!

Just thought this might be useful if anyone else is having similar issues.

Great to have my tunes back.:D

Advertisement