Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This weeks victim....Izoard

Options
  • 29-04-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭

With my week at an end and glad not to have been asked to do any planks it's time to hand on to another lover of the less is more apprach to IM training ;)

This weeks vicitm is the ultra running compression wear loving monkey hating multiple Ironamn that is Izoard.

So to start off:
    1. How long can yuo hold a plank for?
    2. Favourite race you've ever done?
    3. Bucket list race?
    4. How much training are you doing at the minute? (your log is quiter than mine)
    5. How much have you spent on compression gear over the years?
    6. Have you ever done a marathon in costume and what was your time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great - if you want to know what's possible with no training, you've come to the right pace....
    1. How long can you hold a plank for?
    I have terrible core strength, but have been enjoying S&C classes for the past while - managed a marathon 96 second plank last week.
    1. Favourite race you've ever done?
    Abroad - Roth. 5,500 people doing a race that they shut down a province for. Hard to beat the Solarer Berg, first time around.

Ireland - I like Beast of the East - tough day out, but nice feel to the event in a great location. Brittas Bay tri also gets an honourable mention - but then again, I'm a little biased on that one.
    1. Bucket list race?
    Alpe d'huez LD and Lost Sheep are 2 tris I'm still keen to do.

Comrades is also there, and I get a shot at it, this year.
    1. How much training are you doing at the minute? (your log is quiter than mine)
    Zero tri training. Doing a bit of running, but I'll see how I feel after Comrades, before committing to Lost Sheep.
    1. How much have you spent on compression gear over the years?
    Probably the best invention for tri/running. Holds everything in and reduces the chaffing factor, big time.

I rationalize my insane compression spend, by telling myself, I've never acquired a carbon bike - so I'm still ahead on the €€€ front.
    1. Have you ever done a marathon in costume and what was your time?
    Yup - Dublin 2009 - as Batman - 3:57 - someone told me I was first "fancy dresser" home, but got a negative shout out in an Irish Times editorial the next day, as "a representation of what is wrong with marathons these days...":)
    11248_174580553332_5509448_n.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hiya Ultrabuddy. ;)

Do you ever eat standing at the door of the fridge, and if so, what?
    What car do you drive?
    Why don't you have a carbon bike?
    Proudest moment in tri?
    Which discipline (swim bike run) was the hardest one for you to make improvements?
    Which one is still hardest?
    Did you have a teddybear when you were young?

Oryx wrote: »
    Hiya Ultrabuddy. ;)

What car do you drive?
    Proudest moment in tri?
    Which discipline (swim bike run) was the hardest one for you to make improvements?

You weren't there to hold my hand, when I needed it most...:)

All the time - usually the chocolate Mrs I. is trying to hide at the back of the fridge.

What car do you drive?
    I've an 11 year old 5 series, but I only really drive when ferrying the kids around, so tend to use the family car, a shiny Santa Fe.

My Power-to-weight is so poor, I've never been able to justify it to myself. I actually have 4 bikes;
    1) Clapped out Commuter bike that I live on, when in Dublin
    2) 12 year old Trek alu road bike
    3) Trek E7 alu tri bike, - this is the race bike
    4) Focus something or other alu tri bike - nice machine, which I stash down in Wexford for summer spins.

Proudest moment in tri?
    This is a bit cheesy, but....
    Was doing a DCT tri in the mid noughties and passed a girl, who had just punctured. Next lap, she was still there - I couldn't believe no one had stopped, as she was a bit distraught at this point.
    As I approached, I could see I was doing well time-wise, so I agonized over whether to stop to help.
    I did, we got it sorted and both carried on.
    It stands out, because, with experience, I know how unlikely it is anyone would stop (and I'm not even sure I'd be as gallant again, if I was going well...).

Swimming - I don't have the patience for the technical aspects of it.
    I was OK at it in primary school, but didn't start swimming again, until the tri bug hit, 20 years later.

I probably enjoy the bike most, and should be much better at it than I am, based on the volume I've done.
    Stop eating with the fridge door open, would probably be a good start.:)

I was an only child, living a Spartan life, devoid of cuddly toys...
    We were a cat house for many years, so I usually had a Persian parked at the end of the bed, looking for attention.
    Have switched to dogs in the current generation - much simpler creatures, bit like the difference between girls (cats) and boys (dogs);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hey Izoard!

What's your favourite car on the road at the moment? Or your dream car might be a better way of wording that!!
    Are you a reader? If so, what have you read lately that you'd recommend? (I need to top up my queue before the holidays!)
    What's your go-to recovery meal after a good session?
    Stupidest thing you've ever bought? (Doesn't have to be tri specific)
    What was your early sporting backround when growing up?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Will you be disappointed if I'm not at the top of the hill for a hug at next years DCM?
    Why did you not stop to help me in Donadea 2012, on the LAST LAP when you overtook me (finally :P)?
    What is your best IM time?
    Dream race? Running and Tri?
    Why don't you IM guys do many shorter tris?

• Advertisement

johnk123 wrote: »
    Hey Izoard!

What's your favourite car on the road at the moment? Or your dream car might be a better way of wording that!!
    Are you a reader? If so, what have you read lately that you'd recommend? (I need to top up my queue before the holidays!)
    What was your early sporting backround when growing up?

Thanks!

Hi John,

I'm not a massive fan of car p0rn, but an M5 is definitely on my wish list.

I go through phases of different authors, but Michael Lewis is one of my favourites at the moment. He built his reputation on Liar's Poker and even made the uber-nerdy topic of baseball stats interesting, in Moneyball. His latest one is Flash Boys, which I'm just starting.
    Best book in recent years? The Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson - for such a control freak, Jobs gave this guy unlimited access and editorial freedom

Chocolate milk and a big mug of coffee.

I bought Mrs. I a horse for her birthday back in the day - if I'd known how much it cost to maintain the beast....
    What was your early sporting background when growing up?
    Mainly rugby as a team sport - I went to a small school, so played a lot, albeit at a mediocre level. I lived in New York for a couple of years and really enjoyed the rugby scene out there.

Will you be disappointed if I'm not at the top of the hill for a hug at next years DCM?
    Why did you not stop to help me in Donadea 2012, on the LAST LAP when you overtook me (finally :P)?
    Why don't you IM guys do many shorter tris?

Thanks for dropping in RQ....

I'm a straight-forward chap in the crisp department - Tayto Cheese & Onion.
    Devastated. Some day, you will actually run the race, and I'll have to find a new victim for a sweaty bear hug.
    All that trash-talk before hand, meant the red mist descended. Anyways, the "help" you required was beyond me...:)
    11;30 Roth. 1:18/6:01/4:02 - the 6:01 and the 4:02 still grate a little.
    Dream race I haven't done? Alpe d'Huez LD, as above and Kona. I'd bite your hand off for a lottery slot there - I don't have Jackyback's morals:)
    On the running side - I'm starting to get interested in some of the off-road ultras - I might join IMRA at some point, and see if I can hack the uphill stuff.
    Why don't you IM guys do many shorter tris
    For all the logistics and the burning of a free pass, it just seems such a waste to do a sprint...
    HIM is probably my favourite distance - good day out, without being ridiculous, like the full distance. Also, it is relatively easy to blag a HIM, without training:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hi Izoard!

Have you climbed your namesake Col? Can you rank its awesomeness on a scale of 1 to 11?
    If Comrades goes well, will you return to do it in fancy dress?
    What is your favourite thing about Ireland? And your least favourite?
    Favourite movie scene?

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Hi Izoard!

Have you climbed your namesake Col? Can you rank its awesomeness on a scale of 1 to 11?
    Favourite movie scene?

Hey Mr.C...

Yes - it's where the name comes from. Epic day out doing L'Etape '06 - wonderful experience climbing the Izoard, followed by the pain coming on the Lautaret and finally being broom-wagoned (was on my hands and knees at that point...)4km from the finish on L'Alpe d'Huez. Unfinished business.
    Izoard is a beautiful climb, but I used all my matches on it.
    Was climbing for approx. 12km or so, when I saw a sign saying "climb starts here":)
    This is a one-time only event, where there will be a lot of walking...
    My job has moved out to Dubai, and I sat down with Mrs.I to decide whether we'd move or not. Despite the financial benefits, it was a no-brainer to stay. I spend a lot of time in Dubai, Moscow, Johannesburg etc., and I love the fact that Dublin is effectively a big village, where I can get around on a bike and my kids can walk to school - and as much as we bitch about the weather, it doesn't actually rain that much....
    Dislike - litter.
    Favourite movie scene
    1) The "Like a Virgin" opening scene in Reservoir Dogs - combination of characters, 360 camera style and dialogue.

2) The Russian Roulette scenes in The Deer Hunter - the fear inherent in the first ones, switching to the zombie-like approach in the Saigon den.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey Izoard

Money no object what bikes would you choose,
    favorite location for a swim\bike and run.
    favorite training session.
    which is harder in your opinion an Ultra or IronMan for training and racing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Howdy Izo,

1. How long can you swim underwater on one breath?
    2. Are you as focussed and goal oriented in your job as you are in Tri?
    3. Best ever race?
    4. Why do you like pacing so much (and are so good at it)? Ever consider doing a Tri with a whistle?;)
    5. Will you now throw a mangled old roadie into your collapsed shed and claim for a Shiv?

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hey Izoard

Money no object what bikes would you choose,
    favorite location for a swim\bike and run.
    favorite training session.
    which is harder in your opinion an Ultra or IronMan for training and racing?

Hi BM...
    1) Money no object what bikes would you choose,
    I like the look of the Trek Speed Concept on the tri side and probably an over-designed Wilier or Bianchi for the road.

2) favorite location for a swim\bike and run.
    Swim - We decamp to Ballymoney, Wexford for the summers and have direct access to the North beach there - lovely swim down to the shipwreck - about 1.2km round trip.
    Bike: Can't beat the Dublin mountains. I live in Rathfarnham, so straight out the door and you are climbing for 10km or so up to the Military road. Within 15 mins, you are in the countryside...
    Run:
    Loop @ Cruagh Wood - have only done it a couple of times, but love it up there.
    3) favorite training session.
    Haha, you've read my logs in the past??
    When training for the Etape and putting some effort in for the Wicklow 200, I do a timed 10km climb starting at Stocking Lane. Varies from all out single effort or 2/3 repeats. Love the climb.

4)which is harder in your opinion an Ultra or IronMan for training and racing?
    Mentally, the IM is easier, as you can break it down and convince yourself you are looking forward to a marathon, just to get off the bike:)
    I find the Ultras tougher - unless I get into a group, I start to prematurely suffer.
    Training? I do what I enjoy, rather than what I should be doing, so I can't say I've ever trained properly for either.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Howdy Izo,

3. Best ever race?
    4. Why do you like pacing so much (and are so good at it)? Ever consider doing a Tri with a whistle?;)
    5. Will you now throw a mangled old roadie into your collapsed shed and claim for a Shiv?

Dear Leader....

Last attempt trying to impress the kids, it took me 4 efforts to make 25m.

:D
    I work in sales for a US software company, where targets and KPIs come out of your ears.
    I do this stuff to completely switch off - just SBR for as long as is enjoyable.

3. Best ever race?
    Roth - executed as well as possible against the training I did - tough conditions as well.

Just do it for the chicks, man.
    I really enjoy it - it is a bit of craic at >4hrs - most people are happy to be there and enjoy the spin around the city.
    The whistle is an acquired taste, but we get the cheers...

Hah, this stuff always seems to happen when I'm away - not looking forward to the clean up tomorrow night.
    "What type of Trek was smashed"?
    " Ehhh, A brand new Speed Concept, sob..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Crap I missed griffin :cool:

Hey Izo Chief

What is the most grim location you have run?
    How many push ups can you do to fail after reading this?
    What posters adorned teenage Izo's wall?
    Do you have a man cave?
    Pet hates?
    What goes through the mind when mowing the lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'll get over it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Izoard! :) Or do you prefer, Caped Crusader? ;)

What was the last race you properly trained for? And what did that training look like?

How did you get into triathlon, and how many years have you been doing it?

What motivates you to train, and what are your goals when you race?

Have you any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals? Or a good luck charm you travel with to races?

What is your best and your worst character trait?

Why were you so reserved and quiet when I met you at McGrattan's post DCM?

What two boards peeps would you pick to be on an IM relay with you, and why?

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where and of what?

What one thing have you done (or would like to do) that would surprise us all here?

Would I be able to trust you alone with my brand new Speed Concept?

Hey Izo Chief

What is the most grim location you have run?
    Do you have a man cave?
    Pet hates?

Hi Mike, - congrats on your news, BTW..

1. What is the most grim location you have run?
    My lunchtime run route takes me from town out to Blackrock park, via Ringsend - a couple of times I thought I'd be clever and take a detour into the port area - there is a treatment plant in there - not pleasant.

2.How many push ups can you do to fail after reading this?
    Managed 21, before a knock on the hotel door saved me from more pain
    Arsenal were/are my team and The Police were the only band I was into that were cool enough to have posters..

Do you have a man cave?
    I've sequestered the kids play house with the turbo, TV etc., although it is pointed out to me on a number of occasions that it wasn't used this year. Once the summer rolls around, I have to clear it out, until next season.
    Pet hates?
    Litter.
    When Mrs I says "don't make any plans for the weekend..."
    Usually, I'm cursing the roots of the old trees that have surfaced in the lawn, and I've no way of solving the problem...

Dory Dory wrote: »

What was the last race you properly trained for? And what did that training look like?

Have you any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals? Or a good luck charm you travel with to races?

What one thing have you done (or would like to do) that would surprise us all here?

Hi Dory...

London Marathon a good while back - got around to doing some speed work with a club and happily knocked out a 3:26 in the pouring rain.

Mrs I runs a charity tri that has been going for 16 years - I got roped in after Year 2.

Enjoyment for both - I've signed up for a good few structured plans,over the years, but binned them as I didn't enjoy the structure.

Plasters (band-aids...) on the nipples and Vaseline everywhere else...:)

Empathy and stubbornness...

Weak in the presence of beauty...

mcos for the swim - he could translate his swim sessions into English for me before he starts.
    Abhainn for the run - Once he calms down after I take 6 and a half hours on the bike, he'd knock out a sub-2:30...

1 - tribal sun - there might be a nod to a certain long distance race worked in there...:) It is well hidden!

1. What one thing have you done (or would like to do) that would surprise us all here?
    I've a serious fear of roller coasters...was in Florida over Easter where the kids were all pretty much eligible for everything and tore the ar$e out of it.
    In a moment of weakness, I relented on the last day in Busch Gardens and got on a couple of the tamer ones - including a first loop-the-loop.
    Can't say I enjoyed it, but committed to doing the serious stuff on my return.

Just give me 5 mins alone-time with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

hey again
    what are your PB for 5,10,half, Marathon
    any embarrassing moments you care to share,
    If you could change one thing what would it be.

BennyMul wrote: »
    hey again
    what are your PB for 5,10,half, Marathon
    any embarrassing moments you care to share,

Hi BM, back for more..

1)what are your PB for 5,10,half, Marathon
    5km 20:05
    10km 43:27
    HM :1:37:xx
    Marathon 3;26.xx

2) any embarrassing moments you care to share,
    I have a very long and entertaining story about being caught seriously short on a New York subway, but that requires a few pints to tell it properly.
    On the tri front - deciding it would be a good idea to pee-on-the-run in Roth.
    Cue, squeezing copious amounts of sponges down my shorts to disguise what was happening, however the runners never recovered - smelled like a tom cat had been hanging out in them, despite numerous washes.

About myself - I'd like to enjoy some discipline around the tri stuff - I see what success others here have achieved through hard work, but I love the freedom to just do what I feel like doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Izoard wrote: »
    I bought Mrs. I a horse for her birthday back in the day - if I'd known how much it cost to maintain the beast....

that's a bit harsh on Mrs. I

In all your work travels you must have run in some spectacular places - does anywhere stand out?

What makes for a good hotel gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I often thought I would enjoy a job like yours but I would expect after a year or two or so and with a family it gets tougher and tougher, have you ever thought of packing it in and looking for something closer to home?

Favourite movie?

Favorite movie character?

Favorite book?

Rate your Ironman races so far in terms of location, accessibility, price, course and support?

Favourite Song?

Song played at first dance on wedding day?

Best holiday?

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    that's a bit harsh on Mrs. I

In all your work travels you must have run in some spectacular places - does anywhere stand out?

:)

Positive:
    San Francisco - early morning sunrise along the Embarcadero
    Moscow - nice river run out to the Olympic stadium - great to find some green space in one of the grimiest cities around.
    Thames Valley (where most of the IT companies are): The tow-path along the Thames around Henley, Marlow and Windsor - almost running through the back gardens of some of the poshest houses in England.
    Negative:
    Dubai: Hardly any footpaths and always under construction
    Johannesburg: Just not practical to run outside, where I normally hang out.

An empty one...which they nearly always are, except for the US and UK, where they are always packed.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you don't like rollercoasters, how are you at descending steep hills?
    Does Mrs I still have the horse?

Hey CW...

]I often thought I would enjoy a job like yours but I would expect after a year or two or so and with a family it gets tougher and tougher, have you ever thought of packing it in and looking for something closer to home?

It was great when there were no kids around, but the novelty wore off many years ago.
    Ideally, I'd get something local, but even working for an Irish company, the local market is small, so for enterprise software you've got to head to where the money is.

Favourite movie?
    The Deer Hunter.

Favorite movie character?
    De Niro's character in Midnight Run - he's a great comic actor, albeit recent outings have gone down hill.

Favorite book?
    A few there...
    Steve Jobs Bio - Walter Isaacson
    Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
    Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis
    Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
    Berlin/Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor

Rate your Ironman races so far in terms of location, accessibility, price, course and support?

Roth is fantastic, but logistically it is a pain in the ar$e.
    Switzerland is great, but financially ruins you.
    SA is the hidden gem - loved it and cheap when you get there.

Favourite Song?
    So Lonely - the Police

Song played at first dance on wedding day?

The Voyage.

Best holiday?
    Touring around South Africa for 3 weeks back in 2000 or a month tearing the ar$e out of it on a Delta air pass ($400 for as many flights as you could cram in to a month around the US in 1990)

Oryx wrote: »

Wouldn't be the bravest, but my natural ballast ensures I get up to speed pretty quick - touch wood, I've never had a serious tumble.

No - he was great (for her) for the first few years, but the kids then came thick and fast, so we donated him to a girl who was doing local jumping in Wicklow, once the middle two arrived- phew!
    He went to horse nirvana a few years ago, after a leg break.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

OK

One Piece or Two Piece?
    When work dictates a change in training plans (as happens me sometimes) do you panic?
    Washing Machine - Do you fight or recompose and look for calm?
    Do you prefer National series or local/ small?
    With ref to above - when doing your "Roth Relief", did you conceal or reveal?
    How will you deal with the "man at the gate" in Comrades in the unlikely event that you have to meet him?
    GAA/ Soccer/ Rugby/ None?
    Why do you post on boards?

Podge83 wrote: »
    OK

One Piece or Two Piece?
    When work dictates a change in training plans (as happens me sometimes) do you panic?
    How will you deal with the "man at the gate" in Comrades in the unlikely event that you have to meet him?
    Why do you post on boards?

Hey Podge...

One Piece or Two Piece?
    One piece - with a rash vest underneath, for better comfort.

No - I tend not to follow much of a plan, so just do what I can, when I can.

I tend to be quite zen about the whole thing. Just keep going forward and it will calm down eventually.
    The bigger issue is when you are ticking along quietly and then BAM! a foot/fist in the face comes from nowhere...

My favourite Irish races tend to be smaller, but going abroad, I tend to favour the big show.

I was hiding in plain sight,with water (from the sponges) pouring from me as I went...

Do you mean the SA blood sport of watching people get kicked off the finishing straight at the clock hits 12 bells?
    I would be gutted, because it would mean I would have to go back, for another crack at it.
    I think I'll either be dropping out early or will make it in under the 12 hours.

I played GAA in primary school and then rugby in secondary school and into my mid 20s.
    I've circled back to both, doing some club coaching with my youngest.

Why do you post on boards
    Boards has been my virtual club for many years. With 4 small kids, my training times are very early in the morning/late at night, so not very tri-club friendly it is great to be part of some kind of collective, of like-minded souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello again. :)

Just a few more questions for you....

Generally speaking, do you like things to be planned out in advance, or do you prefer spontaneity?

How would you describe yourself on the dance floor in 5 words or less?

If I hopped in your car right now, what would be playing on the radio or DVD?

I believe you have raised a dog or two for the blind (I applaud you!)...how hard was it to let them go after caring for them and loving them for a year or more? And have you been in touch with their new owners?

Regarding triathlon/running/athletics in general, is there anything endurance-wise you wouldn't attempt?

Have you ever had a DNF by your name after a race? If so, which one and why?

If you were one of us SBR hoochies, which male boards tri guy would you most want to date and why?

GI Joe or Ken, which one do you think you have the most in common with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Which hoochie would you wanna date and why?
    How do you like your eggs?
    Make up your own triathlon disciplines, order and distances?
    AG trophy or cheque?
    What rugby position did you play and best match experience?

Advertisement