Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Irons - Issue

• 21-04-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

So I'm going for a lesson this week on hitting better longer irons but my impatience is driving this thread.

I struggle with these clubs (4, 5 and 6) and about 50% of the time I can catch ground 3 or 4 inches before the ball. Leads obviously to terrible second shots and lack of confidence. What does this sound like and any decent tips to try address?

I'm happy now with driving and 8 iron down to putter but this part of game killing me. I'm off 12 and have designs on single figures.

Cheers for reading and adding any opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,422 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wait for the pro ;)

but sounds like you might have the ball too far forward in your stance, maybe set the clubs back a bit in your stance. Probably not the best solution, but should work in the short term until you get your lesson :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Rikand wrote: »
    Wait for the pro ;)

but sounds like you might have the ball too far forward in your stance, maybe set the clubs back a bit in your stance. Probably not the best solution, but should work in the short term until you get your lesson :)

Thanks Rikand but I'm not sure it's that. It's just getting lost somewhere. I can catch them flush but its too infrequent. I am hitting turf a good but back on the misses. It's something I believe. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

the lawman wrote: »
    So I'm going for a lesson this week on hitting better longer irons but my impatience is driving this thread.

I struggle with these clubs (4, 5 and 6) and about 50% of the time I can catch ground 3 or 4 inches before the ball. Leads obviously to terrible second shots and lack of confidence. What does this sound like and any decent tips to try address?

I'm happy now with driving and 8 iron down to putter but this part of game killing me. I'm off 12 and have designs on single figures.

Got any hybrid clubs in the bag? How you hitting them?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Got any hybrid clubs in the bag? How you hitting them?

Have one alright and had a lesson with that two weeks ago. It's going ok but I'm at the end of my tether with these clubs that I'm speeding them up the line into pole position. Ill work on both hybrid and long irons for next few months.

I just hope I can replicate my miss on the camera that's the thing with a lesson. If its not seen its hard to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

It's not a long iron v short iron issue IMO, fat shots are a breakdown of the right elbow or stall of the pivot for the hands to get to the ball.

When the torso stops rotating the hands want in, and they screw up everything, if your right elbow is disconnected it's a fat shot all day long.

The best drill I have ever seen in golf, is this one. Read this thread on golfwrx and it will improve your ball striking and simplify your swing thoughts.

You need your body and arms in sync and moving at the same speed, to not 'flip' at the ball or breakdown.

The idea is for the arms to move together thus always ensuring the torso and shoulders are moving.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/791161-get-your-arm-swing-and-pivot-in-sync/#

Try it and see how you get on

• Advertisement

Thanks. Ill be all over that like a cheap tinker later on.

Cheers John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Biggest issue with long irons is scooping,ie trying to lift the ball yourself rather than letting the club do it.

I have issues with long irons but best advice I got was to hit the ball BEFORE the turf.

Your divot should start after th ball.
    Pick a spot a half inch in front of the target ball and concentrate on making contact with the ground at that spot.

That is for the practice ground or range first though before you bring it to your game.

I'd be surprised if that 'drill' doesn't help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That drill has helped me, I had a very shallow swing for all clubs and it was really causing a problem on the long irons.

Started doing that drill... Took it the extreme a bit to get the opposite "feel" of hitting down...
    Ended up having to ask the lads in the range to go out and fetch my 4i head a month ago and they're currently sticking my 6i head back on at the moment.

Some feeling going full throttle with a swing only to lose the head at impact!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I solved my long iron problems two years ago, hybrids, now I only have 3 irons in the bag 7,8 and 9, three hybrids, a wood, a driver, a putter and 5 wedges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

slave1 wrote: »
    I solved my long iron problems two years ago, hybrids, now I only have 3 irons in the bag 7,8 and 9, three hybrids, a wood, a driver, a putter and 5 wedges.

5 wedges?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

5 wedges?

Phil "slave1" Mickelson ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Rikand wrote: »
    Phil "slave1" Mickelson ;)

Huh?

Birroc wrote: »
    Huh?

No, Huh wouldn't be as renowned for his wedge play as Phil.

I'd love to thank John's post a few times because its spot on. Been using that drill and it feels so much easier and in sync than anything else.

Will add a ball this week and work on it.

Thanks John good post.

I'd love to thank John's post a few times because its spot on. Been using that drill and it feels so much easier and in sync than anything else.

Will add a ball this week and work on it.

Thanks John good post.

No problem. Credit goes to the teacher , his name is Dan Carragher, (iteach on golfwrx)

Don't forget on full swings the elbow bends, don't try and keep the right arm straight on full shots, but visualise that they are both straight and turning together like the drill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

+1 - thanks for posting that John.

Long irons a major problem for me at the moment. Used to do this drill years ago but had forgotten about it. Even doing it in the kitchen last night with the wooden spoon just felt so right.

Thanks again!
    Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I'm not able to analyse your fault, however I read a piece by Faldo a number of years back and he suggests pitching a ball 100 yds with a 4 or 5 iron.

With the correct tempo almost all golfers should be able to hit it 100 yds. Now, with either club pitch it 120 yds. Now add on another 20yds and another!
    Try it and see how far you can 'pitch' a long iron without exerting yourself or without killing the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

I have only recently started back into golf after about a year and a half off. I found the best thing to do is get your swing on tape and YOU analyse it against other pro swings. Look for major differences. Last week I was hitting balls and shanking them, blading them etc etc. I recorded the swing and made some adjustments. 5 sessions at the range later I am hitting clean, carrying decent distance I think (160+ w/ 6i using range balls - 200 with 7i regular pro v1)?? and I can hit any iron in the same manner.....3,4 etc. I will say that confidence, knowing your going to screw up....will cause a screw up. I still have not progressed to hitting my 5w off the deck or mat yet. Its a graphite shaft and I lack the confidence, graphite shafts just dont take a hit in the same way a steel shaft can and this is in the back of my mind. One thing I did notice OP, is that my swing was too focused on power before, and as a result my backswing would be too big, to the point where my form was out the window. The club was effectively bludgeoning the ball lol, rather than a clean solid strike. Try reduce the back swing and aim for the same consistency as your shorter irons. I find the big dog is a seperate swing altogether (personal opinion) and is not comparable to long iron shots. I am a beginner so all I can do is offer my opinion based on whats working for me at the moment. Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

200 with 7i regular pro v1

I'd like to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

gonko wrote: »
    200 with 7i regular pro v1

Sounds like you don't need a lesson anyway. Maybe an eye test, but not a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

blue note wrote: »
    Sounds like you don't need a lesson anyway. Maybe an eye test, but not a lesson.

Go easy lads. I'm sure it is in meters and not yards :rolleyes:

He did say 6i went 160 at the range, so probably a typo.

He did say 6i went 160 at the range, so probably a typo.

Ya, after a big WTF I put it down to a typo.
    Considering its a long iron thread I assume he meant 3i or 4i may go 200.
    Which would be pretty impressive for a beginner in its own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If you hit your 7i 200 I don't think you even need the longer irons. If you can hit your driver well and 3 wood then you must get 280ish out of driver and 250 out of 3wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Thank god we are all playing pro v's or we would lose over 40 yards

etxp wrote: »
    If you hit your 7i 200 I don't think you even need the longer irons. If you can hit your driver well and 3 wood then you must get 280ish out of driver and 250 out of 3wood.

I can carry a driver around 240ish on a good hit at the range.

The reason for my 7i at 200 is this, I was at liffey Valley par 3 mid week and one hole was marked as 201 yards. I managed to hit the green with a 7i. Now if the yardage is wrong on the card then it would explain it thus my 7 maybe is shorter, but I'm purely going by the marking card. At the range I wouldn't get near 200 with a 7i prob due to crappy balls. I'd need maybe a 4i, at celbridge range I hit the far center green with 3 to 5i depending on how awake I am lol, which is marked around 200 meters or yards...I believe. Don't know if it's meters or yards, or if even accurate. But I'm trying to focus on accuracy rather than kill the ball, hopefully it will lead to consistency. I'm just trying to build confidence and hopefully get to a course and get a handicap, and finally get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I hit a drive once of 260ish, but just because I hit it once doesn't mean that's my yardage. You can add about 20yRds on to the range distances and you will have your real distance. Near enough anyway!

etxp wrote: »
    I hit a drive once of 260ish, but just because I hit it once doesn't mean that's my yardage. You can add about 20yRds on to the range distances and you will have your real distance. Near enough anyway!
    Well most of my drives carry around 220 average. And that's not killing the ball either, I'm still getting used to the driver and needs more practise. I can't say what my yardage is, I need more balls hit to be sure. The shots are all straight enough. Just the odd top here and there. As I say I'm still getting back into the swing of it.

I did find the range balls don't fly as well. They get a certain distance and drop. Regular balls keep climbing and hate to land (if that makes sense). I need to get to a full course and feel my distances. I'm not too focused on distance swinging, I'd take accuracy and consisteny any day. I think consistency is next for me and develop confidence around it.

gonko wrote: »
    Well most of my drives carry around 220 average. And that's not killing the ball either, I'm still getting used to the driver and needs more practise. I can't say what my yardage is, I need more balls hit to be sure. The shots are all straight enough. Just the odd top here and there. As I say I'm still getting back into the swing of it.

I did find the range balls don't fly as well. They get a certain distance and drop. Regular balls keep climbing and hate to land (if that makes sense). I need to get to a full course and feel my distances. I'm not too focused on distance swinging, I'd take accuracy and consisteny any day. I think consistency is next for me and develop confidence around it.

Best of luck getting back into the game Gonko, your swing looks fairly solid on the swing thread and not a bad place to be starting back from at all.

On the distances thing, you're far for a small lad, so I've no doubt you're well able to hit the ball a decent whack.
    But I've never played with anyone that hits their 7 iron 201 yards.

I've hit a 8i 200 yards myself, downhill and with a gale behind me... in normal circumstances, I don't reach for my 8i when I'm 200 out ;)
    Depending on just how bad the range ball is obv, I think 10% is more than enough to be adding.
    What you lose in the quality of the ball you may gain in the ease of hitting of a mat as opposed to grass.

I'd have no doubt you could hit a 6i 176 yards (your 160 at the range plus 10%)
    That would possibly leave your 7i at about 164 yards of so...
    That's probably well above average but you seem to have plenty of power.

I've never played with a golfer that reaches for their 7i at 200 yards out on a flat terrain and calm conditions.
    Rory would probably hit a 6 iron into that.

Welcome back to golf, you'll get away with bad shots galore but you won't get away with saying you hit your 7i 200 yards :D

• Advertisement

Come to the next boards outing and we'll put you with fdp and reganovski and test your distance :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just saying there was a hole that had a stated 201yds and I took the green with a 7i from the tee. Now of course, it is possible the distance on the card is wrong. For anyone that knows celbridge range, the Green at the 100 marker, I normally pick that off with a pitching wedge. 6i gets the far right green around 150 to 160 mark I believe.

I did think "this looks like 7 distance, but the marker is saying I should be using a 4".

But I'm looking forward to just building up my confidence and hit with consistency. I'm not over the lack of confidence from my shanking last week. Fingers crossed I can build on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

It's not a long iron v short iron issue IMO, fat shots are a breakdown of the right elbow or stall of the pivot for the hands to get to the ball.

When the torso stops rotating the hands want in, and they screw up everything, if your right elbow is disconnected it's a fat shot all day long.

The best drill I have ever seen in golf, is this one. Read this thread on golfwrx and it will improve your ball striking and simplify your swing thoughts.

You need your body and arms in sync and moving at the same speed, to not 'flip' at the ball or breakdown.

The idea is for the arms to move together thus always ensuring the torso and shoulders are moving.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/791161-get-your-arm-swing-and-pivot-in-sync/#

Try it and see how you get on

This helped me immensely tonight. Simple and effective idea.
    Damaged my right wrist from previous two rounds, got one of those support thingys and was bored out of my head.

Went up on Sunday evening ,could hit a ball out of my way.

Tonight I had to go up with the mindset of swinging easy and this drill helped me enjoy a rare night a range, went through all my irons and got 80% good hits from 100 balls.

After the first few I widened my stance a little more, stuck to the drill, didn't over swing at all on any off them. I may have lost a few yards on irons but I knew flightwise and accuracy what I wanted, had a lot more control on them.

Remains to be seen how I play on the course.
    Overall, this drill got me hitting irons with confidence.

Widened stance, swung easy and watched the ball fly high.

This is the video from the person in that thread that he made...

Advertisement