Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 15: Chocolate & Hazelnut Beetroot Brownies

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

I hate beetroot. Always have, it stains everything it touches and it tastes like the earth to me. But a couple of years ago I signed up to a veg box scheme with the intent of improving the variety of my veg intake, and a few weeks later a bag of beetroot landed at my door. Being a stubborn sort, I was determined to eat it and went on the hunt for a recipe that would make beetroot acceptable to me. I decided on the below, which is a River Cottage recipe. The chocolate masks the taste of beetroot, and the beetroot gives a lovely light texture and keeps the brownies moist. They are delicious and are by far and away my favourite chocolate thing to bake since I discovered them. I've tried these on the fussiest of eaters and not once has anyone ever picked up on the beetroot. They're a nice chocolate treat for Easter and since there's a vegetable in there they're completely calorie free and good for you :pac:

Chocolate Hazelnut Beetroot Brownies

-250g butter
    -250g chocolate. The original recipe calls for all 70% dark, but I like to use a mix of differnent % darks and good quality milk.
    -3 medium eggs
    -250g caster sugar
    -250g beetroot
    -150g self raising flour
    -100g hazelnuts, crushed

1. First you need to prepare the beetroot. Boil it until tender-this can take quite a while depending on the size of your beetroot, keep stabbing it with a sharp knife to gauge it. I often cook the beetroot a couple of days before I plan to make these and it works fine. Allow to cool, then peel and blend into a completely smooth puree, no lumps. Set aside. (I find disposable latex gloves invaluable for this and lots of other little kitchen tasks. You'll get a box of 100 in a pharmacy for €7/8 and it prevents that axe murderer look you're often left with after beetroot preparation)

f9grw4.jpg

2. Grease a 8 x 8 in baking tin (or the closest size you have, it won't make a huge difference) and preheat the oven to 180.
    3. Melt your butter and chocolate together, either in a bain marie or in a heatproof bowl in the warming oven.
    4. Beat the eggs and sugar together, then add the butter and chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.

344xdtg.jpg

5. Add the beetroot and half the hazelnuts. Mix well to combine, then fold in the flour gently with a large metal spoon.
    6. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and smooth the top, then sprinkle the remaining hazelnuts over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.

2gwssvc.jpg

Happy Easter boardsies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Could you use those pre-cooked vac-packed beetroot for this recipe, OP? I've seen them in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Could you use those pre-cooked vac-packed beetroot for this recipe, OP? I've seen them in Lidl.

They'd be fine, just be careful because some of the pre packed stuff contains vinegar, which you definitely don't want in this!

Advertisement