Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement wheels.

Options
  • 08-04-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭

I've recently been gifted a Stratos road bike (the Lidl Ultegra bike) which has seen a few hard years as a winter training bike with a relative. The wheels, Shimano RS-10's, were a little tired (not running exactly true or smooth) so I was considering a refresh anyway but this evening the bearing or freehub has given up the ghost and the wheel is rattling all over the place. I'll be dropping in to the LBS for a diagnosis tomorrow.

I suppose my options are get the current wheel fixed up, replace with something cheapish (Aksiums or RS-11's) or push the boat out a little for something like Zondas. I would hope to get a bike to work bike later in the summer (budget 1,000-1,250) so I'm wondering whether Zondas or similar would be a worthwhile investment for putting on that bike when it arrives.

I'm about 80kg and currently just getting fit on rough enough roads around home, but would hope to try a few sportives later in the summer. The main question I have is will I make sh*te of 'good' wheels on bad roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

dakar wrote: »
    I've recently been gifted a Stratos road bike (the Lidl Ultegra bike) which has seen a few hard years as a winter training bike with a relative. The wheels, Shimano RS-10's, were a little tired (not running exactly true or smooth) so I was considering a refresh anyway but this evening the bearing or freehub has given up the ghost and the wheel is rattling all over the place. I'll be dropping in to the LBS for a diagnosis tomorrow.

I suppose my options are get the current wheel fixed up, replace with something cheapish (Aksiums or RS-11's) or push the boat out a little for something like Zondas. I would hope to get a bike to work bike later in the summer (budget 1,000-1,250) so I'm wondering whether Zondas or similar would be a worthwhile investment for putting on that bike when it arrives.

I'm about 80kg and currently just getting fit on rough enough roads around home, but would hope to try a few sportives later in the summer. The main question I have is will I make sh*te of 'good' wheels on bad roads?

Zondas or something similar will probably definitely be an upgrade from the wheels that would come with a bike in that budget unless you manage to nab a pretty good bargain, so you'd probably be in the position of using them as your good wheels for events and have the stock ones for bad weather/winter training.

You won't break up decent wheels on our roads, I've 17,000km on the Bontrager wheels that came on my Trek apart from some wear on the braking surfaces they look as straight and as true as the day I got them, they are probably equivalent to Askiums, the more expensive models are a bit lighter but should wear just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

dakar wrote: »
    I'm about 80kg

Just take that camera bag off your back & you'll drop down to 75kg :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

This thread is turning into the photography forum on tour... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Get the Scirocco's of Swim Cycle Run for €227. A big step up from your current stock wheels but look sexier then the Zonda and unless your racing you really won't see the difference. plus you get. An extra €70 or ;€80 to buy decent tyres.

Advertisement