Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Cooking Club Week 14: Saints and Sinners:Quinoa Base Pizza & Coconut Blondies

• 08-04-2014 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Lordy lordy. Does anyone else find themselves getting REALLY nervous when it comes to their week on the Cooking Club???!! :)

Yes, I am nervous. I really hope you guys like what I have in store for you this week.

My entry contains two recipes. Why? Well, over the past 10 years, I have been on so many diets. I have been vegetarian, trying to lose weight, on a gluten free diet and a migraine elimination diet! So upon browsing through some recipes online, I found myself getting really excited, only to discover that I couldn't eat half of the ingredients! :( It's very disheartening and very annoying. On the other hand, sometimes you just wanna splurge and eat something very bold and tasty. This is where the second part comes in. Neither recipe compliment each other in terms of theme but hey, i've never been a follower of fashion! :)

So, cook the first part if you do lots of training, are trying to lose weight (be it on slimming world ( pizza base is free on EE), Weight Watchers (2 points for the base) or as a calorie controlled diet), if you are gluten/wheat intolerant or if you just fancy something light and relatively healthy. All of the toppings you put on the pizza are extra calories. So be as reckless or as careful as you wish. :).

Part 1 for the saints is : Quinoa base pizza.

I need to stress that this tastes absolutely awesome. :)

Quinoa is MEGA healthy. It contains all nine essential amino acids and is one of the most protein dense foods on the planet. This recipe is surprisingly very tasty.

Ingredients for the base:
    130g quinoa
    60ml water
    half a teaspoon of sea salt
    1 teaspoon of baking powder
    1 teaspoon of coconut/olive oil.

Method

First off, rinse your quinoa and soak it for 8 hours in cold water. Admittedly, I only did mine for 5 hours as I was stuck for time and it still turned out grand. Just use enough water to cover the quinoa in a pot. After you've soaked it, drain the water and rinse it again.

Preheat your oven to 220c. In a mixing bowl, add your quinoa, salt, water and baking powder. Use a food processor or hand blender to grind it down. A mixer will take 2 mins, a hand blender will take about 5. The consistency should be like a batter. It's certainly not thick like a dough.

photo1_zps5562b87a.jpg

Place a nine inch pizza tray on a piece of parchment paper and cut around it so that it fits into your pizza tray. Using your oil, grease the parchment. If you are calorie conscious, you can use fry-light but make sure to spray the bejaysis out of the parchment or else it will stick. Bake for 15 mins.

Next, flip the base and bake for a further five mins.

photo2_zps32b0d179.jpg

When that's done, now you can add your toppings. I went with a bog standard pizza of peppers, mixed herbs, chorizo, tomato puree and reduced fat mature cheese. You of course can add anything you like, When you have your toppings of choice, bake for another 5-10 mins, depending on your oven, until the toppings are cooked and the cheese has melted.

Et voila!

photo3_zpsdd1d1555.jpg

Onto the second part for the sinners, which is:

Coconut Blondies. I became obsessed with Pigwidgeon's 2011 week 3 cooking club entry which were fantastic raspberry and pecan blondies. I adored them so much that I developed an obsession with all things blondie. :) I started to experiment with different fillings and indeed my overall recipe. These ones always came out on top. They're amazing and so easy to make too.

Ingredients:
    135g Plain Flour
    1 egg + 1 yolk
    300g brown sugar
    85g butter
    275g white chocolate chips
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    160g dessicated/flaked coconut

Method:
    Preheat your oven to 180c

Melt the butter. Next, add in the sugar and then beat in the eggs. Add your flour and salt. Don't over combine the mixture. When that's done, add in your coconut and chocolate.

photo4_zps1dd7fafb.jpg

Spoon mixture out on a prepared baking tray and bake for 22-25 mins, depending on your oven.

Leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing.

Bobs yer uncle! Into the gob with it!

photo5_zpsca9afc8e.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wow these both look amazing, definitely going to try that pizza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

You posted this earlier in the week, obviously to have a mod repost today, but I've been waiting what feels like a lifetime after seeing the title to read the recipe!!! Can't wait to try the pizza!!

Looks good! Where would someone find quinoa?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How many would that pizza serve? It looks quite small but is it really dense? I normally make one pizza between my fiancé and I, the full size of your pizza tray. Can I scale up the recipe to serve two, or is this recipe enough? I've never used quinoa before but really want to reduce carbs/increase protein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Dónal wrote: »
    Looks good! Where would someone find quinoa?

Any shop really. Tesco's do their own brand version in a plastic pack. You'd find it in the health section with the nuts and seeds. It's quite cheap. There is red quinoa and beige-y looking quinoa. Go for the beige one. Here is the pack I buy:

photo_zps8dd35584.jpg
    Faith wrote: »
    How many would that pizza serve? It looks quite small but is it really dense? I normally make one pizza between my fiancé and I, the full size of your pizza tray. Can I scale up the recipe to serve two, or is this recipe enough? I've never used quinoa before but really want to reduce carbs/increase protein!
    You could scale it up if you wish, Faith. That exact pizza was halved between me and my partner. I made homemade oven chips too. Neither of us could touch the chips and we only had half of it each. It is quite filling. Maybe go with the original recipe and plan it for a day where you're not starving. Then see from there if you should upscale the quantities. :)
    Moody_mona wrote: »
    You posted this earlier in the week, obviously to have a mod repost today, but I've been waiting what feels like a lifetime after seeing the title to read the recipe!!! Can't wait to try the pizza!!
    Haha. That's happened to me too in the past. Frustrating, isn't it. :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thank you, I'll definitely try the pizza next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Looks good, I've made Cauliflower base pizza before but never tried quinoa, I normally just use that as a rice substitute for curries and with chilli, def gonna give this a lash. Semi healthy pizza, class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thanks for the recipe.

What is the consistency of the base like? I too have made cauliflower based pizzas and love them, but the base falls apart too easily. Part of the joy of eating pizza is being able to pick up a slice and eat with your hands. Knife and fork with a pizza feels too civilised.

Thanks for the recipe.

What is the consistency of the base like? I too have made cauliflower based pizzas and love them, but the base falls apart too easily. Part of the joy of eating pizza is being able to pick up a slice and eat with your hands. Knife and fork with a pizza feels too civilised.

Totally know what you mean. I did the cauliflower thing for a bit and to be honest, when I think of it now, it turns my stomach.

The base is surprisingly chewy and yes, you can eat it with your hands. That's a pre-requisite for me too. :) In fact, personally, I forget i'm not eating pizza dough when I make this. Could be just me though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Excellent, will give quinoa pizza a try for tomorrow's lunch project with the kids. Must remind myself to soak the quinoa before going to bed tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oooh that pizza base could be converted into a low fat quiche "pastry" case!

(I'm watching my weight and I realised recently that the pastry I use for quiches is very fattening...)

Oooh that pizza base could be converted into a low fat quiche "pastry" case!

(I'm watching my weight and I realised recently that the pastry I use for quiches is very fattening...)

That's a bloody great idea!!:D

I made the quinoa base pizza, topped with homemade tomato base, basil, green pepper, chorizo, red onion and mozzarella. I'm really impressed with the base, thin and crispy in the edges, holds the pizza up, and actually tasted good. The kids enjoyed them very much too. I'll definitely make it again.
    Thanks Wurly.

2014-04-12%2015.03.41_zpsdxbfzfxc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lovely, I'm going to give the pizza a try, it looks yum. For any new quinoa users don't be tempted to skip the cleaning stage at the start, you'll regret it if you don't!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Awesome recipes OP. My top5 recipes come from cooking club and these look like they could become favourites too! Really original with the quinoa pizza and I will definitely try the blondies as I'm obsessed with Pigwidgeon's raspberry and pecan blondies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wurly thank you so much for posting this, tried the pizza last night and it was gorgeous, just like real pizza. I'm a bit of a health nut so pizza would be usually out for me but this was just the perfect alternative, very filling and it felt like I was eating something really bad for me :) This is going to be one of my regulars now...cheers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made this twice over the weekend. The base is a nice, crunchy biscuit-like consistency and is like a better version of Dr Oetker bases. And yes, I was able to pick it up with my hands and eat it like a savage. I lacked imagination so copied the other's toppings and had pepper, chorizo, red onion with goats cheese and mozzarella.

My next challenge is to create a quinoa/cauliflower hybrid base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Wurly this is lovely! I was extremely skeptical following on from previous 'it's like x, only made with y!' diet food experiences ('It's like chocolate, only made from dates!', 'It's like ice cream, only made from cottage cheese!') but decided to give it a while because pizza. Tasty, diet friendly pizza.

Skepticism returned momentarily when I was pouring my quinoa onto the baking sheet as I didn't see how something so liquid could turn into delicious pizza but turn into it it did!

Didn't taste overly of quinoa and got crispy around the edges, I was in hog heaven. Went for old school olives & ham combination

I also discovered that if you put baking paper into a gas oven the open flame can set it on fire. Funny that.

16653b88-09fb-4412-96e1-159d74be7e35_zps4c26251e.jpg

8960988E-C2B6-46DE-9238-2C893587E4FC_zpsuglgdws2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I made this again last night for someone else and this time spent a lot more time blending the quinoa base (did close to the full 5 recommended in the OP) and I got a really thin based pizza out of it :) Which went down a treat!

Aww yay, i'm so happy. Delighted that everyone's attempt worked out so well. Thank you all so much for trying the recipe. ;)

• Advertisement

Picked up a bar of white chocolate last minute at Lidl checkout, as I was thinking of this Blondie. I knew I had the rest of the ingredients in the larder.
    These are quite naughty. Naughtily delicious. So gooey and moorish.

2014-04-17%2017.37.26_zpsyika6jm7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

Wurly that pizza dish is fantastic. I love the base. It works so well. Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Might be a silly question but I don't have a pizza tray so will an oven tray work for this? Have the quinoa soaking and looking forward to making this laater. Also, is that 220 in a fan oven

Roesy wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but I don't have a pizza tray so will an oven tray work for this? Have the quinoa soaking and looking forward to making this laater. Also, is that 220 in a fan oven

Hey there. I'm not too sure about the oven tray. The pizza tray has holes which could help the cooking. But I can't imagine an oven tray affecting the outcome too much.

My oven is just a bog standard electric with a (crappy) fan. 220 works. So just keep an eye on it, i'd say. Aim for the same colour base as my pic.

Best of luck and I hope it works out well for you. Let me know how you go. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I haven't made this pizza base but I always make regular pizza on a rectangular oven tray, comes out just fine! Maybe not as crispy as a pizza tray, but I just never bothered to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Wurly wrote: »
    Hey there. I'm not too sure about the oven tray. The pizza tray has holes which could help the cooking. But I can't imagine an oven tray affecting the outcome too much.

My oven is just a bog standard electric with a (crappy) fan. 220 works. So just keep an eye on it, i'd say. Aim for the same colour base as my pic.

Best of luck and I hope it works out well for you. Let me know how you go. ;)

Turned out nicely, thanks Wurly. It was a little soft in a couple of parts, maybe the pizza tray would have prevented that alright. It probably would have been easier turn on a pizza tray too. I used chorizo, peppers, a little mozzarella and some goats cheese as toppings and they worked really well. Even my sceptical husband liked it. I'll definitely make it again with a proper tray. It was very filling, I served it with salad and a few homemade chips which neither of us finished.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We made the pizza tonight. We had some (very) minor issues with sticking to the paper, and the crust was a tad crumbly in places, but the result was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made the pizza base last night, it was great! I'll definitely make it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made the pizza tonight for dinner. A bit of a disaster with the base sticking to the grease proof paper. I made double the amount and used my magic baking sheet the second time around. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Made this there last week, had only soaked the quinoa for about 4hrs so decided to soak in hot water for 5 minutes also (not sure if made any difference but seemed kinda logical to me) had to add a bit more water than recipe to get a good consistency to the batter, problem because of my not soaking long enough. Was very tasty I must try again, next time I might try make a bigger batch and freeze a base and see how it holds up as my only problem is the remembering to set the quinoa soaking in the morning.

But yeah great recipe OP very tasty, makes me wonder what else can you do with quinoa and can this be done with anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I've ordered quinoa in my online grocery shop (finally) and am planning to give this a try next week. :pac:

I was also wondering if anyone had tried to use it for a quiche base and if so, how did you manage it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

wurly this was really good.

Myself and the other half were talking about it and we agreed it doesn't taste like a normal pizza base, but it's not half bad. We will definitely make it again. Thank you!

Made the pizzas tonight. Been meaning to make them for awhile but believe it or not quinoa is hard to come by lately. So I got a couple of bags when they were finally restocked in the local Tesco. Photo here.

Advertisement