Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 to Raspberry Pi discussion thread

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

This thread is spawned from the Amiko Alien2 thread.

From 4th April can we please use this thread for any discussion/tips/guides for all things that relate to AA2 to RPI.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Raspberry Pi:
    Here is an instruction on how to install Openelec on a Rpi (Raspberry Pi)
    Including a list of all items required.

alternatively skip to bullet points below for an easier install for SD&USB combo.

XBMC Plugin
    I use the VU+/ Enigma2 plugin which comes out-of- the box with Openelec.

setup instruction here

Other:
    • Running Openelec on a Rpi using SD card & USB combo ('vs' just SD) will see a big increase in performance - here is an instruction on how to set this up (inc required files)
    • For best results run your Rpi over ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I found this guys videos to be very helpful;

Raspberry pi: Install Openelec To USB In 5 mins
    http://youtu.be/vGFdQVwc8Q0 - same video as Agueroooo posted above.

Raspberry pi: Overclocking and config.txt
    http://youtu.be/cysqPq5Hna0

XBMC: Buffering - The Cause And Solution
    http://youtu.be/5V6cZ9p045w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I would recommend installing the latest XBMC Gotham release, as the PVR works much better on that version. Streams HD within seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

egistered User

Quote: AguerooooAre you getting sound?

Are you able to stream to other devices (phones, tablets etc)?

correct username and password for the stb entered into the xbmc add-on ?[/QUOTE

Yip able to stream no problem from my linkstation. Can see the receiver in the windows network . Can't get audio or picture. Just the epg after it syncs with receiver. The Amiko aa2 is on champs arp imAge so root and no password. PvR client is vu+/enigma 2 . Streaming port is 8001 and web interface port is 80. I wonder is there another pvr client that would work.

Just moved over from the amiko alien2. Forum.

Attaching my last post below. I really think the problem is with the arp image on the amiko and possibly the autoboquets.
    I can stream a few chsnnels only to the pi .this is a but weird as the channels thst can stream are the terrestial and one or two sattellite I.e pop and tiny pop.but that is all.

Where is my problem?

The common denominator seems to be your image.

I'm running Hyperion2 with no issues over ethernet.

• Advertisement

Just a follow up on an issue i was having with streaming from the AA2 to RPI.

I could stream HD channels but not very well, most likely due to the amount of data. I could only get sound on SD channels, and no picture.

Well the reason was very simple in the end, i had applied the codec i bought to the config.txt file, however i didn't remove the # on the line for the codec so it was effectively still commented out.

Happy and stupid feeling at the same time when i realised my error .

Still working on mine. I will have to reload my arp image unless Hyperion 4 is a better option. On the pi I installed xmbchub and lost connection with enigma client. I'll have to start from scratch with both now. Funny as I had it working a whole back and if looks like the image went shandy on the Amiko then the pi repositories as dons seem to have caused connections with the Amiko to be lost

Has anyone copied the picons across from the AA2 to the Pi so they are available in the EPG on the pi?

If so, how?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Hello

I want to get a raspberry pi to hook up to my Alien2. I just joined the thread and there's loads of useful info here.. good stuff.

Where should I buy one and how much hardware do people have? Here is a link to an eBay auction which seems to have all I would need... But there's another thread where McGixxer talks about how he over-clocked his Pi and put a fan and switch on it. Would it be worth going down that road? Can the xbmc menus be a bit laggy?

Is it necessary to have an external power supply and some people get a keyboard, mouse and remote too. But I thought you could power from USB and use something like putty to telnet in.

Cheers,

Flex

Hello

I want to get a raspberry pi to hook up to my Alien2. I just joined the thread and there's loads of useful info here.. good stuff.

Where should I buy one and how much hardware do people have? Here is a link to an eBay auction which seems to have all I would need... But there's another thread where McGixxer talks about how he over-clocked his Pi and put a fan and switch on it. Would it be worth going down that road? Can the xbmc menus be a bit laggy?

Is it necessary to have an external power supply and some people get a keyboard, mouse and remote too. But I thought you could power from USB and use something like putty to telnet in.

Cheers,

Flex

my 2c worth....

1.)Overclock your Pi (high for me)

2.) add heatsinks

3.) Go with a SDS/USB setup

4.) get a good power supply. not an old phone charger. most issues with the Pi come down to a bad/insufficient power supply - but in saying that I have one powered off the free USB on my SONY TV :)

5.) Buy a Rpi MPEG license

• Advertisement

Just a follow up on an issue i was having with streaming from the AA2 to RPI.

I could stream HD channels but not very well, most likely due to the amount of data. I could only get sound on SD channels, and no picture.

Well the reason was very simple in the end, i had applied the codec i bought to the config.txt file, however i didn't remove the # on the line for the codec so it was effectively still commented out.

Happy and stupid feeling at the same time when i realised my error .

Good to hear your sorted.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I would recommend installing the latest XBMC Gotham release, as the PVR works much better on that version. Streams HD within seconds...

thanks.

gonna try this the weekend.

are you using a 'nightly' release of Openelec/Gotham?

I was going to wait for the official release of Gotham and have my ear to the ground, as its not a simple case of upgrading within Openelec when you have over-clocking settings, as it will corrupt a SD/USB setup.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    my 2c worth....
    1.)Overclock your Pi (high for me)

2.) add heatsinks

4.) get a good power supply. not an old phone charger. most issues with the Pi come down to a bad/insufficient power supply - but in saying that I have one powered off the free USB on my SONY TV :)

The more I read into it the more I'd like to separate storage from the OS and over-clock the Pi. Seems safe to do so and gives a decent performance boost. From what you say, maybe I wouldn't need a fan or power supply. Could you recommend a good PS anyway with a link on eBay?

I don't have android or iOS. Is there an app for Windows7 to navigate around the XBMC menus or would I need a keyboard, mouse or a remote? Should the remote be wifi or IR?

Cheers,

Flex

supply. Could you recommend a good PS anyway with a link on eBay?

http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/product/rs/hnp10i-microusb/micro-usb-multi-head-power-supply-for-raspberry-pi/7653311.aspx
    sorry I rarely use Ebay but I cannot emphasis enough the importance of a good power supply for the Pi ...here is a good vid explaining the variations and possible problems cheap power supplies can cause
    I don't have android or iOS. Is there an app for Windows7 to navigate around the XBMC menus or would I need a keyboard, mouse or a remote? Should the remote be wifi or IR?

Here is an WIN7 phone app for XBMC remote control, but you may not need it if your TV does CEC
    Openelec has CEC activated out-of-the-box and you will then be able to use the TV remote to navigate the menus/XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

Hello

Where should I buy one and how much hardware do people have? Here is a link to an eBay auction which seems to have all I would need...

If going that route, what about this which is more or less the same price - Link to an eBay auction

Hey guys,

So are you using the Pi as the actual media player, connected straight to your TV, or do you use it as a XBMC Server, whereby you use an XBMC client on either iPads, Androids or PC's, or are you doing a mix of both ?

thanks.

gonna try this the weekend.

are you using a 'nightly' release of Openelec/Gotham?

I was going to wait for the official release of Gotham and have my ear to the ground, as its not a simple case of upgrading within Openelec when you have over-clocking settings, as it will corrupt a SD/USB setup.

I'm on Frodo at the moment, not all addons are compatible with Gotham just yet as it's still in beta. Frodo works, navigating can be a bit slow but thats more the basic hardware on which it is running. I'm geting eircom Fibre at some point this month, it'll be interesting to see if the menu loading times reduce.

From what i have read, the improvements in Gotham seem to benefit Android and Apple TV set ups.

championc wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So are you using the Pi as the actual media player, connected straight to your TV, or do you use it as a XBMC Server, whereby you use an XBMC client on either iPads, Androids or PC's, or are you doing a mix of both ?

XBMC running on the Pi as a media player connected straight to TV.

I've XBMC installed an an android tablet but its not connected to the instance on the Pi at all.

Hey guys,

I have XBMC installed on RPi (x2)Apple TV, iPad, Android phone etc.

I have the XBMC library (on all devices) scraping all metadata, Fanart etc for all Movies and Tv Shows and music stored on my NAS.
    I also have the library synced across all devices (MySQL) e.g If I watch something upstairs then I can resume it again downstairs on a different device.

On one of the RPi upstairs I have the VU+ Enigma 2 add-on installed and I am using it a a PVR backed which has basically saved me from having to purchase another STB for the bedroom.

Out of all the setups I have I find the RPi running Openelec/XBMC and configured via SD/USB to be the best, and not just for the performance but for the price.

I will be shortly selling my jaibroken Apple TV and replacing that with a RPi and still have enough change to spoil myself :)

On one of the RPi upstairs I have the VU+ Enigma 2 add-on installed and I am using it a a PVR backed which has basically saved me from having to purchase another STB for the bedroom.

That's exactly what I'd like to get going. I'd like to use a pi to stream live TV from my Alien 2. It would be hooked up directly to the router via network cable and to a TV by HDMI.

I'm still reading around a bit before I buy things: What sort of SD card do you have? Some say the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro class 10 SD cards are the best but then I read that the pi's SD card bus is a limiting factor and maxes out at about 20 MB/s (read or write) anyway. There's a useful SD Card performance comparison chart here. I would like to set it up with USB for storage and SD Card for OS so how much space would I need on the SD Card?

Have you tried any Openelec Web interfaces to navigate the menus? I wonder would any of them work with the VU+ Enigma 2 add-on. I don't have iOS, Android or a smartphone. I wouldn't mind controlling it all from my Win7 laptop but maybe a remote would be handier.

What freq have you clocked yours to? Are heat sinks enough to keep it cool?

Thanks for the link to the power supply (Micro USB Multi-Head power supply for Raspberry Pi). Here's a 5V, 3 Amp unit. I guess 2Amps would be enough tho..

Cheers,

Flex

• Advertisement

Ok, so i'm able to stream from the AA2 to the Raspberry pi now, whats happening when i stream is that subtitles are displayed.

I don't know if this is a setting on the pi i need to change or on the AA2. I can't see anything on the pi side to turn it on/off.

TIA

That's exactly what I'd like to get going. I'd like to use a pi to stream live TV from my Alien 2. It would be hooked up directly to the router via network cable and to a TV by HDMI.
    Again a stb is the ideal solution but a Rpi fulfils my needs for watching TV on the bedroom TV at a very low cost .. here is a vid of how it will look. In a foreign language but you will get a good idea.

I'm still reading around a bit before I buy things: What sort of SD card do you have? Some say the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro class 10 SD cards are the best but then I read that the pi's SD card bus is a limiting factor and maxes out at about 20 MB/s (read or write) anyway. There's a useful SD Card performance comparison chart here. I would like to set it up with USB for storage and SD Card for OS so how much space would I need on the SD Card?
    Scandisk are good SD cards but if you are only using it for OS then you will only be using a few MB.
    You need to invest in a good 3.0 USB stick (yes i know Rpi only does USB2.0 but its been proven that a good 3.0 will perform better read/write speeds)

Have you tried any Openelec Web interfaces to navigate the menus? I wonder would any of them work with the VU+ Enigma 2 add-on. I don't have iOS, Android or a smartphone. I wouldn't mind controlling it all from my Win7 laptop but maybe a remote would be handier.
    What is the TV like that you plan to hook the Rpi up to - does it do CEC?

The web browser remote is similar to the remote that is on Openwebif.
    not great, but does a job.

What freq have you clocked yours to? Are heat sinks enough to keep it cool?
    arm_freq=950
    core_freq=450
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=6
    force_turbo=0

with heatsinks
    Thanks for the link to the power supply (Micro USB Multi-Head power supply for Raspberry Pi). Here's a 5V, 3 Amp unit. I guess 2Amps would be enough tho..
    remember I have one of the Rpi powered off the USB on my TV..is that an option?
    5V 2Amp is plenty its just that some cheap power supplies suffer a drop the more is demanded of them. The better ones are more stable.

Ok, so i'm able to stream from the AA2 to the Raspberry pi now, whats happening when i stream is that subtitles are displayed.

I don't know if this is a setting on the pi i need to change or on the AA2. I can't see anything on the pi side to turn it on/off.

TIA

from memory....

Pause the stream----arrow down
    and you should see some icons on the end of the screen.

I think one is shaped like a movie reel.
    In there you will see a ballot box for 'subtitles'

Hi all,

I setup my Pi last night and have it connecting to my AA2 using the VU+/Enigma2 Plugin. It loads the whole channel list but when I click on a station, the sound plays but no picture. I still have the XBMC displaying as normal on screen. It plays the sound like a Radio channel. I can only assume that I am missing a Tick box somewhere within XBMC but any suggestions ?

Hi all,

I setup my Pi last night and have it connecting to my AA2 using the VU+/Enigma2 Plugin. It loads the whole channel list but when I click on a station, the sound plays but no picture. I still have the XBMC displaying as normal on screen. It plays the sound like a Radio channel. I can only assume that I am missing a Tick box somewhere within XBMC but any suggestions ?

Same thing happened me. You need to buy the license keys for MPEG and VC1 to get video working. http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/

I just bought the MPEG 2 and it didn't work. Do I need both licences.

Yeah I had to buy both.

Just the MPEG 2 licence worked for me.

Be sure to remove the '#' at the beginning of the line in the config.txt where you entered the licence key.

I can see my problem now . It is the bouquets. I have many listings for the same channel and it seems to be the issue. I will have to remove my bouquets and a fresh scan.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

as highlighted get an MPEG license and add it to your config.txt (making sure you remove the #) and reboot the Pi.

MPEG license should be enough

I can see my problem now . It is the bouquets. I have many listings for the same channel and it seems to be the issue. I will have to remove my bouquets and a fresh scan.

It might be an idea to even just create a bouquet with the desired channels (eg)bouquet 'Rpi' on your stb, and point your XBMC Vu+ addon to it so it only imports this bouquet.
    One caveat but..the only problem I have with this addon is that it imports epg for every channel and not just whatever bouquet you have it pointed to.
    I dont care much for the epg on the Rpi so I have the option to stop importing epg if I am watching a channel.

just an idea.

Advertisement