Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Rights Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Seems to be yet another mens rights site (now organization) predicated on generalizing about and demonizing feminism/feminists.

Appears to be a recurring undercurrent/theme with a lot of (by no means all) mens rights groups posted about, and some mens rights posters:
    Unsubstantiated generalizations about feminists/feminism, with fallacious attempts to back that with assertion or anecdotes instead of stats (and special pleading against stats that disprove the generalizations), and with this - generalizing-about/demonizing feminism - seeming to be the primary focus, rather than actual mens rights.

I've (briefly) been trying to read up more on this a little bit, and what I've found is that feminists definition of feminism seems to vary a lot, and plenty do seem to focus on equality, contrary to what groups like this new one assert - and I also found this interesting RationalWiki page, which gives what seems to be an accurate (from my limited experience with mens rights folk thus far) overview/cross-section, of the different groups within the mens rights movement:
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement#Equal_rights_vs._sexism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Appears to be a recurring undercurrent/theme with a lot of (by no means all) mens rights groups posted about, and some mens rights posters:
    Unsubstantiated generalizations about feminists/feminism, with fallacious attempts to back that with assertion or anecdotes instead of stats (and special pleading against stats that disprove the generalizations), and with this - generalizing-about/demonizing feminism - seeming to be the primary focus, rather than actual mens rights.

So if other posters generalise feminism without real evidence it's bad, but when you post this and generalise men's rights without real evidence that's okay? Is this not hypocrticial of you?

Maguined wrote: »
    So if other posters generalise feminism without real evidence it's bad, but when you post this and generalise men's rights without real evidence that's okay? Is this not hypocrticial of you?
    Except I didn't generalize - and was careful not to:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I meant the hypocrisy more along the lines of the standard of evidence you expect from mens rights to justify any criticism of feminism.

So you are not happy with the anecdotal evidence instead of facts when someone criticises feminism, but you are happy to criticism men's rights with your own personal anecdotal evidence instead of facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

..I also found this interesting RationalWiki page, which gives what seems to be an accurate (from my limited experience with mens rights folk thus far) overview/cross-section, of the different groups within the mens rights movement:
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement#Equal_rights_vs._sexism

So you complain about some MRA sites/posters being full of generalisations, unsubstantiated claims and lacking statistics. Then you post a link to an article that's absolutley dripping with generalisations, unsupported claims and general misandry and hatred. Here's a few gems from that article.
    The movement itself split into two groups: one that largely supported feminism, and one that was strongly anti-feminist. Both movements, but especially the latter — which is overtly misogynist
    Critics of both camps of the movement liken it to reverse racism and argue that men who subscribe to the ideology are merely trying to hold on to privilege granted them by a long history of patriarchy
    The term "movement" is itself challenged, since "men's movements" function more as a social salve,[3] rather than actually redressing inequality in the overall social structure.
    There remain relatively few barriers to men's achievement in the world compared to women's, and few real areas where one can demonstrate a "lack of equality."
    Men's rights activists have been criticized for privilege blindness and their tendency towards "mansplaining."
    Frequently, MRA arguments rely on gross generalizations
    Men's rights activists also have a reputation for palpable anger, based on their personal experiences of relationships, divorce, or the law. This stereotype is common to almost all fringe groups,
    Feeding off each other, many internet men's rights groups have become cesspools of anti women tirades, name calling
    More extreme MRA positions go so far as to claim that women are the cause of violence, are more often the perpetrators of violence in the home, and that men have to react violently in self-defense. The validity of these claims are discussed in detail below
    I couldn't find where in the article these claims are further discussed. These claims just seemed to be rubbished as extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Isn't rational wiki a bit like the liberal version of Conservapedia, at least when it comes to political issues?

Maguined wrote: »
    I meant the hypocrisy more along the lines of the standard of evidence you expect from mens rights to justify any criticism of feminism.

So you are not happy with the anecdotal evidence instead of facts when someone criticises feminism, but you are happy to criticism men's rights with your own personal anecdotal evidence instead of facts?
    There's no hypocrisy - I'm criticizing generalizations about feminists/feminism, and I'm not generalizing about the mens rights movement (which is what I'd have to be doing, in order to be displaying double standards).

I'm criticizing specific groups/people within the mens rights camp, and I've no problem with mens rights people criticizing specific feminist groups/people - the problem I have is with sweeping generalizations.

If people don't have the facts/stats to back up a generalization (which requires hard stats, not just anecdotes/assertions), then they shouldn't be making the generalization in the first place - especially when there are stats which put a lot of doubt on the generalization.

So you complain about some MRA sites/posters being full of generalisations, unsubstantiated claims and lacking statistics. Then you post a link to an article that's absolutley dripping with generalisations, unsupported claims and general misandry and hatred. Here's a few gems from that article.

I couldn't find where in the article these claims are further discussed. These claims just seemed to be rubbished as extreme.
    Yet I did not cite any of what you quote, I linked to a section below all of that, which gives an overview of different specific parts of the movement.

The calls to 'misandry' are quite hysterical there - you haven't quoted anything that's misandrous.
    Standman wrote: »
    Isn't rational wiki a bit like the liberal version of Conservapedia, at least when it comes to political issues?
    RationalWiki usually does a pretty good job of nailing the faults with whatever movement or topic it is addressing - it's more of a "no bullshít" skeptic type of Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

There's no hypocrisy - I'm criticizing generalizations about feminists/feminism, and I'm not generalizing about the mens rights movement (which is what I'd have to be doing, in order to be displaying double standards).
    So given you say you are not making generalisations, if anyone says:
    Appears to be a recurring undercurrent/theme with a lot of (by no means all) feminist groups posted about, and some feminist posters:
    that won't be seen as a generalisation?

That seems to be a much weaker standard you set in the last thread:
    "Do any of the peer reviewed studies on your site, show a majority of feminists, holding the views (particularly the non-patriarchy ones), that you are generalizing about?"
    Anecdotal evidence from individual feminists/groups, would not suffice as proof either.
    to avoid backing up your non-patriarchy-based generalizations, with some actual proof.
    you are continuing to make even more generalizations that are wholly unbacked/unproven.
    none ever seem to actually cite statistics to back up their claims about the 'other' movements overall views (emphasized, so it's not ignored) - so making such blanket generalizations shows a completely unjustified bias (literally - there is nothing solid enough to back it up).
    If you haven't got statistics, showing that a high proportion of feminists hold certain views (preferably showing at least a significant majority - which is the weakest requirement for justifying a generalization)
    If, after this has now been made clear, you continue to make the same generalizations and demonizations of an entire movement, people will be justified in becoming cynical towards your motives - because you will be displaying that you want to encourage an "Us vs Them" dichotomy, to demonize an entire movement, generalizing about it and putting words in their collective mouths, with zero adequate backing for even the weakest form of generalization.
    So - back that up with statistics; not case-by-case anecdote, but statistics of feminists overall, justifying those claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The smart Mens' Rights group will not mention feminism.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    The smart Mens' Rights group will not mention feminism.
    Not sure. They have to justify their existence. Many think that equality can be reached by feminism alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

RationalWiki it's more of a "no bullshít" skeptic type of Wikipedia.

Ah its really really not. There isn't even the pretence of objectivity or unbias on RW. And I say that as a fan of the website. 'Liberal Conservapedia' while not being bang on the money is a lot closer to a description of it than 'skeptics Wikipedia'. Its good for a larf, but no opinion on it is to be taken as a fair or reasonable or unbiased one. It's a humour website (whether they themselves realise that or not I'm unsure of). The name of the game is taking the piss out of things they disagree with, not skepticism or rationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

iptba wrote: »
    Launch of Men’s Rights Ireland
    Excellent news, though it would be good if we could consolidate into a few stronger campaigns.

Men in Ireland have many issues to campaign on, most of them caused by the current strain of extreme and misandrous feminism.

1. Ending domestic violence against men

40% of all domestic violence is against men and the media campaigns totally and comprehensively ignore these, while demonising men as if they are the SOLE perpetrators - for example the vomit inducing "Manup campaign"

2. Stopping male suicide

Men are three times more likely to commit suicide and more than 10 men kill themselves every day in the UK. An issue that is ignored most of the time in favour of feminist issues.

3. Equal rights for dads

Fathers are routinely treated like disposable garbage in the courts.

4. Giving boys a better education

Boys are being marginalised and feminised in school. Nearly one in five boys is being taught in a primary school without a single male teacher on the staff. Many go through an entire education without being taught by a male teacher. Female behavioural standards are being imposed on boys, who are being disciplined and bullied by the teachers for simply behaving like boys. Female teachers are under marking boys in tests because they are shaping their classes and tests to suit a female centric environment.

5. Tackling negative portrayals of men in the media and promoting male role models.
    Men are constantly being ridiculed across the media and especially in marketing.

6. Improving men’s health and life expectancy

Men of all backgrounds die on average 4 years younger than women with the gap between the poorest men and richest women rising to over 10 years. Men are less likely to access and benefit from health services. Men’s health researchers and campaigners say services need to change and become more male friendly if we are to tackle men’s health inequalities.

7. Tackling male disposability

The majority of homeless people, prisoners, children excluded from school, children put into foster care, unemployed people and isolated older people are men. More than 95% of people who die at work are men and the majority of soldiers killed in service are men. Some campaigners see this issue as a sign that we take men’s lives less seriously than women’s lives and conclude that men are treated as being more ‘disposable’. For some campaigners this perception of ‘male disposability’ is further exacerbated by the unequal number of schemes and initiatives that are focused on supporting and helping women.

8. Ending unnecessary male circumcision

Every year several unnecessary Male Circumcisions are being performed legally on boys in Ireland, often in non-medical settings without anaesthetic. This practice can and does cause death, disability, disease, pain and discomfort and physical damage.

9. Beating male cancer and tackling men’s cancer inequalities

Men are 70% more likely to die from the cancers that affect both sexes, less money is spent on researching male cancers, more than 90% of the people screened for cancer are women, and girls are now vaccinated against some cancers but boys are not. Campaigns to raise awareness of cancer and to raise funds are hugely biased against men and the real incidence of cancers between the genders.

10. Tackling male unemployment

Twice as many men are unemployed as women. yet no notice is being paid this as a gender issue.

11. Aggressive misandrous feminism.
    When men campaign for their rights and for gender balance, the immediate result is a vicious attack by feminists who resent anyone else usurping their role as victims - exemplified by the immediate attack in this thread. The goals of modern misandrous feminism is not equality or balance, but preferential treatment and a preferential legal status.

So given you say you are not making generalisations, if anyone says:

that won't be seen as a generalisation?
    "a lot of (by no means all)" i.e. I explicitly said I'm not generalizing to the whole, so I would think that, no...I'm not making generalizations.

strobe wrote: »
    Ah its really really not. There isn't even the pretence of objectivity or unbias on RW. And I say that as a fan of the website. 'Liberal Conservapedia' while not being bang on the money is a lot closer to a description of it than 'skeptics Wikipedia'. Its good for a larf, but no opinion on it is to be taken as a fair or reasonable or unbiased one. It's a humour website (whether they themselves realise that or not I'm unsure of). The name of the game is taking the piss out of things they disagree with, not skepticism or rationalism.
    Oh absolutely - it makes no claims of being unbiased or objective :) I do think it leans more heavily towards skepticism in how it takes the piss out of things though; it has a fairly accurate (even if totally biased) take on rather a lot of topics.

Piliger wrote: »
    11. Aggressive misandrous feminism.
    When men campaign for their rights and for gender balance, the immediate result is a vicious attack by feminists who resent anyone else usurping their role as victims - exemplified by the immediate attack in this thread. The goals of modern misandrous feminism is not equality or balance, but preferential treatment and a preferential legal status.
    Yes becuase I'm a victimized feminist, right - must double check my gender so then.

When the first port of call from people supporting an organization, is to hysterically accuse critics of being misandrous (without any backing), it doesn't bode well for their credibility.

"a lot of (by no means all)" i.e. I explicitly said I'm not generalizing to the whole, so I would think that, no...I'm not making generalizations.
    So if anyone says:
    Appears to be a recurring undercurrent/theme with a lot of (by no means all) feminist groups posted about, and some feminist posters:
    You're not going to look for statistics or peer-reviewed studies, like you asked for previously?

If your point was people shouldn't say it about all of them, but anything else was ok, why mention the need for statistics or peer-reviewed studies?

So if anyone says:

You're not going to look for statistics or peer-reviewed studies, like you asked for previously?

If your point was people shouldn't say it about all of them, but anything else was ok, why mention the need for statistics or peer-reviewed studies?
    Perhaps since I didn't make a generalization, and that I explicitly disclaimed that I was not making a generalization, there is nothing that needs backing up...

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see you flipped mens rights with feminists: Sure, as long as they aren't generalizing i.e. making claims about feminists overall, then I've no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Let me explain something for those of the hard of understanding mindset, male rights activism entrenches and translates phallocentrism into POLITICAL power, that informs public policy, legislation and economic policy. But it is MEN, MRA's or not – it is irrelevant – who entrench patriarchy, the disposabilty of women, the cultural, political and socially, lesser status of WOMEN into everyday life.

MEN who perpetuate, validate and insinuate the anti-female bias that exists into and at, every level of our cultures and societies. MEN who drive the engine of men's rights activism, who feed this toxic vile ideology with the corrosive and putrid fuel it needs to keep going.

And HELL WILL FREEZE OVER before I would become an MRA, in fact, before I would give two flying ****s about “men’s rights”. Anyone, male or female who thinks or believes for one microsecond that “men’s rights” is a valid issue is a moron, is a snivelling weasel who wouldn’t know a Human Rights abuse if it jumped up and bit them on the backside.

Anyone, male or female who thinks or believes for one microsecond that “men’s rights” is a valid issue is a moron, is a snivelling weasel who wouldn’t know a Human Rights abuse if it jumped up and bit them on the backside.

What a sad self loathing post.

• Advertisement

Just because men are nominally in positions of power, doesn't mean they rule for men. The (sometimes vehement) disdain of some men towards "men's rights" to my mind demonstrates this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Let me explain something for those of the hard of understanding mindset, male rights activism entrenches and translates phallocentrism into POLITICAL power, that informs public policy, legislation and economic policy. But it is MEN, MRA's or not – it is irrelevant – who entrench patriarchy, the disposabilty of women, the cultural, political and socially, lesser status of WOMEN into everyday life.

MEN who perpetuate, validate and insinuate the anti-female bias that exists into and at, every level of our cultures and societies. MEN who drive the engine of men's rights activism, who feed this toxic vile ideology with the corrosive and putrid fuel it needs to keep going.

And HELL WILL FREEZE OVER before I would become an MRA, in fact, before I would give two flying ****s about “men’s rights”. Anyone, male or female who thinks or believes for one microsecond that “men’s rights” is a valid issue is a moron, is a snivelling weasel who wouldn’t know a Human Rights abuse if it jumped up and bit them on the backside.

I can only speak from my own experience.

My advice to you @strobe is as follows.....

1. If not already married, get married.

2. If you don't already have kids, aim for 2

3. Get divorced

4. Engage with officialdom in Ireland as a separated father and see how you get on battling ALL the stereotypes associated with separated fathers regardless of what your own personal circumstances are

5. Revisit your post above and see if you wish to stand over it

The abuse of separated fathers' rights is deeply entrenched in the administrative processes of the state that not just legitimate full on emotional abuse of separated fathers, they facilitate and enable it. The capacity and tendency to inflict torment is also totally embedded in the attitudes of large chunks of society. The political establishment do nothing but pay lip service to the abuses that go on.

If you don't believe that go to the family court and witness for yourself.

There are known issues with unequal treatment against men though - do you not think that provides a valid justification for a 'mens rights' movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Yet I did not cite any of what you quote, I linked to a section below all of that, which gives an overview of different specific parts of the movement.
    You may have linked to a specific section, but you described the page as "interesting" and said that it gave an interesting overview of the mens rights movement.
    RationalWiki usually does a pretty good job of nailing the faults with whatever movement or topic it is addressing - it's more of a "no bullshít" skeptic type of Wikipedia.
    I really don't understand why you linked to such a poorly written and inflammatory article.
    I don't think writing of that standard has any place in a rational discussion in this forum.

You may have linked to a specific section, but you described the page as "interesting" and said that it gave an interesting overview of the mens rights movement.
    I really don't understand why you linked to such a poorly written and inflammatory article.
    I don't think writing of that standard has any place in a rational discussion in this forum.
    You're really splitting hairs here: I linked to a specific section, not the overall page, and I even explicitly said I was referencing that section in a later post.

I linked to it because, that section meshes well with a fair number of (and by no means all or a majority...) of mens rights groups/posters I've encountered on or have seen linked through Boards.

The section I cited, while it can only be taken as opinion, seems to provide a pretty interesting overview of the different subsections within the mens rights movement.

Just out of curiosity, since this seems to have gotten lost despite being the original topic: Do you (or others) in any way endorse the mens rights group that is the subject of the thread?
    If you don't, why not? (have any problems with the views posted on the site?)

There are known issues with unequal treatment against men though - do you not think that provides a valid justification for a 'mens rights' movement?

What we see with posts like the one you are reply to is the depth of brainwashing that has gone on for thirty years. Boys and men have been guilt tripped over women's traditional second class experience, which was a wholly valid issue. However instead of aiming at correcting the imbalance and prejudice, boys and men have been constantly fed a stead streamed diet of self hate, of self loathing. Women=victim, men=perpetrator.
    As a result we have a significant proportion of men who have been so thoroughly instilled with this viewpoint, then even then they are confronted with a list of clear and evident prejudice against men, they cannot absorb it. They cannot process it. Form them men will always be the perpetrator and women the victims.

It would be nice to have a nice rational discussion wouldn't it. I wonder why extreme feminists feel so entitled to attack men and their issues. I suggest it says far more about them than anything about us.

What we see with posts like the one you are reply to is the depth of brainwashing that has gone on for thirty years. Boys and men have been guilt tripped over women's traditional second class experience, which was a wholly valid issue. However instead of aiming at correcting the imbalance and prejudice, boys and men have been constantly fed a stead streamed diet of self hate, of self loathing. Women=victim, men=perpetrator.
    As a result we have a significant proportion of men who have been so thoroughly instilled with this viewpoint, then even then they are confronted with a list of clear and evident prejudice against men, they cannot absorb it. They cannot process it. Form them men will always be the perpetrator and women the victims.
    While there is likely some of this, I don't think all that many men would be 'brainwashed' in this way, probably just uncertain of what to make of feminism - but yes, probably men would be more defensive/avoidant about the topic, due to wanting to avoid the extremists.

There's a risk on both sides, of mistaking mens rights as being represented by the extremist-end of the mens rights movement (which - giving benefit of the doubt - is maybe what explains strobe's view), just the same as there is this risk with feminism as well - mistaking the extremists as being representative.

That's why I'm such a stickler when it comes to generalizations: I'm pretty convinced that they are the core reason why these discussions always seem to divide into "Us vs Them" type discussions, and I think if people debated without the generalizations, that you'd pretty soon see those who identify as 'mens rights' supporters, and those who identify as 'feminists' come to agreement, and potentially to support the same things.

I view myself as both a mens rights advocate, as well as a feminist - but this could mean anything to anyone, since different people seem to have wildly varying ideas of what both mean.

Which seems a similar model to the patriarchy model, which appears to be a fairly consistent part of feminism.

• Advertisement

Which seems a similar model to the patriarchy model, which appears to be a fairly consistent part of feminism.
    I don't know a lot about it, but 'kyriarchy' is a different model, which I don't think is divided based on gender - but which considers all social divides/inequalities/privileges simultaneously.

It came up in another recent thread, and I think some proportion of feminists support that view instead.

I've read a bit about intersectionality, which it seems to be based upon, and it's a pretty interesting subject - and an interesting way of looking at society and power relationships overall (in a way which is useful for looking at politics/economics as well, not just for civil rights topics).

Advertisement