Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enigma channel editors and tools on a linux laptop

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Guys, hoping someone can help. Ive just wiped an old netbook i use for connecting to enigma stbs (Both 1 and 2 versions). Ive installed linux mint on it and wiped the old slow windows system.
    Now im having problems connecting to my enigma machines using dreambox edit and dreamset using wine.
    I can connect using dremabox edit but it gives errors when downloading the lists and settings from a DM500 to the netbook.
    Dreamset connects but comes up with connection errors when trying to connect to the various sub directories within the enigma machine (var/tuxbox/config/enigma).

Ive succeded by downloading the lists with filezilla and then editing in dreamset, then re upping using filezilla, but this is long winded.

Im hoping someone can shed some light as i have most probably overlooked something.

I dont really want to reinstall a dual boot (Windows O/S) on this netbook as its an oldish one and Linux has given it a new lease of life now she is free of Microsoft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

have you tried Wine?

this will allow you to install and use native windows apps through your Linux OS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

kingtiger wrote: »
    have you tried Wine?

this will allow you to install and use native windows apps through your Linux OS

Yes I thought I had mentioned that I had wine installed. I'm wondering if it needs configuring differently/better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

snaps wrote: »
    Yes I thought I had mentioned that I had wine installed. I'm wondering if it needs configuring differently/better?

ah sorry I didn't see you mentioned wine, could you try virtualbox with xp-lite? might be easier to configure as Wine has incompatibility with certain apps from time to time

kingtiger wrote: »
    ah sorry I didn't see you mentioned wine, could you try virtualbox with xp-lite? might be easier to configure as Wine has incompatibility with certain apps from time to time

I'll take a look. I'm not familiar with virtual box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Hi snaps, what do you actually use DreamBoxEdit for? A lot of the bouquets stuff can be sorted directly on the image itself, from the TV remote. E.g. Vix has an extremely capable plugin called AutoBouqetsMaker built right in. Recently, I've set it up to automatically download channel listings and sort them just the way I like.

I use iDreamX myself on the Mac, but rarely need to use that these days.

• Advertisement

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Hi snaps, what do you actually use DreamBoxEdit for? A lot of the bouquets stuff can be sorted directly on the image itself, from the TV remote. E.g. Vix has an extremely capable plugin called AutoBouqetsMaker built right in. Recently, I've set it up to automatically download channel listings and sort them just the way I like.

I use iDreamX myself on the Mac, but rarely need to use that these days.

Channel lists from 30west to 54east. I have to re edited a lot as I can't pick up freesat and I also like to edit my nc+ channels.

I have a funny feeling my bouquets lists on the dreambox are corrupt as I've tried to download on a windows laptop and getting errors. I've downloaded by ftp too and dream box edit giving an error.
    I'll make up a new list and upload to box and see if it is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@snaps
    I have downloaded and installed Dreamboxedit on my main PC - Ubuntu 12.04 running WINE. Runs fine on the box but I haven't tried connection to a sat box just yet as I was awaiting delivery of a new Gigablue Quad Plus. It just arrived earlier today and I have been playing with it offline first. Will connect it to the LAN shortly and let you know if I can modify channel / bouquet settings using Dreamboxedit from this linux box.

Update 8th April - No issues. Downloaded bouquet files from Quad into a folder on the PC. Edited and uploaded back to Quad. Maybe your Dreamboxedit config is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

DBE works perfect for me using Wine on Fedora

fat-tony wrote: »
    @snaps
    I have downloaded and installed Dreamboxedit on my main PC - Ubuntu 12.04 running WINE. Runs fine on the box but I haven't tried connection to a sat box just yet as I was awaiting delivery of a new Gigablue Quad Plus. It just arrived earlier today and I have been playing with it offline first. Will connect it to the LAN shortly and let you know if I can modify channel / bouquet settings using Dreamboxedit from this linux box.

Update 8th April - No issues. Downloaded bouquet files from Quad into a folder on the PC. Edited and uploaded back to Quad. Maybe your Dreamboxedit config is wrong?

No, I think its corrupt files on my DM. I'm going to make up a fresh list soon as I can and re upload

Ok, i am finding its working ok (dreamboxedit) but I cant run it in full screen without it freezing?! Im running mint Olivia 15. would a different version of dreamboxedit help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement