Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Timing Question.

Options
  • 23-03-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but this is something that has puzzled me for a while.

I've a Garmin Egde 200 that I use to track/record my spins. When I upload the data, I get three different timings - Time, Moving Time and Elapsed Time.

Now I understand the elapsed time vs. the moving time but I can't figure out the difference between the other two. I might stop to wait for my buddy to catch up or to have quick nibble on a fig roll so naturally that is included in the elapsed time. But what is the difference between 'Time' and 'Moving Time'??

Here's an example from today's 80km spin:

Time: 3:26:04
    Moving Time: 3:20:34
    Elapsed Time: 3:45:12
    Avg Speed: 23.4 km/h
    Avg Moving Speed: 24.1 km/h

I have the Garmin Edge 200 set to auto-pause below 1km/h.

What is the difference and which average should I take as the 'real' one?

I know the difference is minor but it's one of those things that just bugs me.

Any theories/ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious but this is something that has puzzled me for a while.

I've a Garmin Egde 200 that I use to track/record my spins. When I upload the data, I get three different timings - Time, Moving Time and Elapsed Time.

Now I understand the elapsed time vs. the moving time but I can't figure out the difference between the other two. I might stop to wait for my buddy to catch up or to have quick nibble on a fig roll so naturally that is included in the elapsed time. But what is the difference between 'Time' and 'Moving Time'??

Here's an example from today's 80km spin:

I have the Garmin Edge 200 set to auto-pause below 1km/h.

What is the difference and which average should I take as the 'real' one?

I know the difference is minor but it's one of those things that just bugs me.

Any theories/ideas appreciated.

Elapsed time is from when you turn it on, till off, based on the time of day, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Elapsed time is from when you turn it on, till off, based on the time of day, as far as I know.

I get that but why two further times and what do they represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Elapsed time is from when you turn it on, till off....
    The elapsed time includes the time which has passed even if the Garmin is turned off during a ride (e.g. when taking a refreshment break).

I get that but why two further times and what do they represent?

Wishbone said it better.

Time = stopwatch time. So if you stop it for a break or lunch, those times are not included.

Moving time is stop watch time where it has decided you are standing still at a set of traffic lights or fixing a puncture but didn't pause the stopwatch.

Elapsed time would be from the time you started the stopwatch till the time you finally stopped it. Probably usefull if you were doing a challenge like cycling around Ireland in x days/hours. All the breaks and having a sleep etc would be included.

Right.... I'm off for a super long commute....

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I don't know if it's the same in the Edge but since the latest firmware update on my Forerunner a few weeks ago it bases the average pace on elapsed time. I could have a scenario where all my miles were sub 8.30 & it'll give me an average pace of 9.05 or something silly like that.

It took me a while to figure it out and had me thinking my training was going a lot worse than it should be.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies but maybe I'm not explaining it properly (or maybe I'm thick :o).

I'm fully aware of what the elapsed time is - from start to finish regardless of stops, rests, waiting, etc.

My question is what is the difference between 'Time' and 'Moving Time'. Bear in mind that the device auto pauses when stopped at traffic lights, etc. I have it set to auto pause below 1km/h.

Here are the 3 times again. While elapsed time is understood, what do the 5 and a half minutes between Time and Moving Time mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Thanks for the replies but maybe I'm not explaining it properly (or maybe I'm thick :o).

I'm fully aware of what the elapsed time is - from start to finish regardless of stops, rests, waiting, etc.

My question is what is the difference between 'Time' and 'Moving Time'. Bear in mind that the device auto pauses when stopped at traffic lights, etc. I have it set to auto pause below 1km/h.

Here are the 3 times again. While elapsed time is understood, what do the 5 and a half minutes between Time and Moving Time mean??

Time is the length of time the device is running.
    Moving time is the length of time you're actually moving.

Say you stopped at traffic lights or a level crossing, the device is still running but you're not moving so it pauses ... hence the difference.

Diggabot wrote: »
    Time is the length of time the device is running.
    Moving time is the length of time you're actually moving.

Say you stopped at traffic lights or a level crossing, the device is still running but you're not moving so it pauses ... hence the difference.

OK - So I stop at a set of traffic lights and the device goes into auto pause, moving time is paused but elapsed time keeps running. Understood.

BUT - I have 3 time readings - 1. Time, 2. Moving Time and 3. Elapsed Time.

What I want to know is the difference between Time and Moving Time?

EDIT: I don't press the pause/stop button - the device auto pauses when I'm stopped. So in my mind I can only see two times - the elapsed time and the moving time which is why the third time reading has my limited brain confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OK - So I stop at a set of traffic lights and the device goes into auto pause, moving time is paused but elapsed time keeps running. Understood.

Have you tried asking this question here? (For a definitive answer)

https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Have you tried asking this question here? (For a definitive answer)

https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

I may...... in time. I'm still hopeful that the experts on the Boards.ie cycling forum will have all the answers.

Including "get a new bike". :D

• Advertisement

EDIT: I don't press the pause/stop button - the device auto pauses when I'm stopped. So in my mind I can only see two times - the elapsed time and the moving time which is why the third time reading has my limited brain confused.

Time = total time from when you press the start/stop button*
    Elapsed time = moving time + paused time*
    Moving time = total time less paused time*

* I could be wrong though!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Time = total time from when you press the start/stop button*
    Elapsed time = moving time + paused time*
    Moving time = total time less paused time*

* I could be wrong though!

I thought that too but look at the stats below and it doesn't add up.
    Distance: 80.5km

I thought that too but look at the stats below and it doesn't add up.
    Distance: 80.5km

Have you considered buying a new bike and maybe pedaling faster? :)

You've answered your own question.

Time is when you start and "pause" the garmin like a stopwatch.

Moving time is either when the GPS decides you are not moving or based on settings you have chosen I.E. < 1kmPH Or when you or the garmin consider you "cycling" By choosing < 1Km as a setting you are telling the garmin to ignore it from "moving time"

If you decided to start and stop the timer when moving/not moving the time difference would decrease.

I wouldn't recommend that btw, unless you set the movement alarm :(

You've answered your own question.

Time is when you start and "pause" the garmin like a stopwatch.

Moving time is either when the GPS decides you are not moving or based on settings you have chosen I.E. < 1kmPH Or when you or the garmin consider you "cycling" By choosing < 1Km as a setting you are telling the garmin to ignore it from "moving time"

So are you saying that the discrepancy is due to the device detecting <1km/h and actually stopped?

That makes some sense as I can be stopped for a second or two before the device beeps to indicate pause mode but surely that time then contributes to elapsed time. Bear in mind that I never pressed the pause button. So surely I should have only two times - elapsed and moving. What's the third time?

So are you saying that the discrepancy is due to the device detecting <1km/h and actually stopped?

That makes some sense as I can be stopped for a second or two before the device beeps to indicate pause mode but surely that time then contributes to elapsed time. Bear in mind that I never pressed the pause button. So surely I should have only two times - elapsed and moving. What's the third time?

Elapsed time is pretty much you looking at the clock and saying "Right, it's 10am and I'm off" Then when you come home at 10pm and shut down your garmin it is seen as 12 hours elapsed time. During that time you could have cycled somewhere and had a lovely dinner with you family or something.

It pretty much has shag all to do with your cycling or moving.

Time is when you treat the garmin like a stopwatch. Start then pause, then start, then pause. I pause for punctures for example.

Moving time is down to the GPS. If you are stuck at a set of lights for 3 mins then the garmin "knows" that. Or if you use the setting to say that if I do less that < 3 kph then ignore that from "time" as I am cruising to a set of traffic lights.

Elapsed time is pretty much you looking at the clock and saying "Right, it's 10am and I'm off" Then when you come home at 10pm and shut down your garmin it is seen as 12 hours elapsed time. During that time you could have cycled somewhere and had a lovely dinner with you family or something.

It pretty much has shag all to do with your cycling or moving.

Time is when you treat the garmin like a stopwatch. Start then pause, then start, then pause. I pause for punctures for example.

Moving time is down to the GPS. If you are stuck at a set of lights for 3 mins then the garmin "knows" that. Or if you use the setting to say that if I do less that < 3 kph then ignore that from "time" as I am cruising to a set of traffic lights.
    I think I get you but I'm not convinced. Only the Garmin stops and starts itself so I'm either moving or I'm not - I do not pause the Garmin manually.

If I stop at the lights for 3 mins - the Garmin stops itself. If I stop for lunch - the Garmin stops itself - what's the difference?

All this thinking means I need to lie down for a while - or maybe go out for 50km......

I think I get you but I'm not convinced. Only the Garmin stops and starts itself so I'm either moving or I'm not - I do not pause the Garmin manually.

If I stop at the lights for 3 mins - the Garmin stops itself. If I stop for lunch - the Garmin stops itself - what's the difference?

All this thinking means I need to lie down for a while - or maybe go out for 50km......

I think see the issue.

You have it set to auto pause. So it is that + The GPS deciding you are not moving.

I'd turn that off tbh. The beepin' and lighting up was annoying, I found. :p

Go back to basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

'Time' is all the time you were moving at any speed, 'moving time' is all the time you were moving over 1km/h.

Advertisement