Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options
  • 22-03-2014 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

Cycle touring lads anyone anything planned .
    myself i'm staying home just bought a new bike but still need to get it ready for light touring, so it be overnighters maybe up north or mullingar or virginia only places i know that has campsites:)
    never tried wildcamping but if anyone knows good spots in louth or meath area let me know might be worth trying it out.

happy touring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Was thinking of doing Mizen to Malin along the proposed Atlantic Way route in June, no camping, just B&B's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ror_74 wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing Mizen to Malin along the proposed Atlantic Way route in June, no camping, just B&B's.
    should be a cracking route but way to expensive for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

should be a cracking route but way to expensive for me .

It'll be those cheap middle of nowhere B&B's all the way :pac:

ror_74 wrote: »
    It'll be those cheap middle of nowhere B&B's all the way :pac:
    hah never came across one yet.good hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thebikeman.ie

The pier at Derrysheridan on the Meath shore of Lough Sheelin is a good spot for wild camping. It’s well off the road and there is a barrier to block cars getting down to the lake (regular fishermen have a key for the barrier). You will have to lift your bike over the barrier, but it means you won’t be disturbed at night by passing trouble makers. So far as I know the land is owned by Coillte. There is a small piece of open ground right next to the pier, suitable for pitching a tent.

You could also try the Sailors Garden which is a few miles west on the Westmeath shore. No barrier here but access is down a long lane and there is plenty of open ground for pitching a tent. Not sure who owns the ground but the surrounding land is bog, on which lots of people have turf cutting rights.

Google Lough Sheelin and you will get plenty of maps of the lake which will show you both locations.

• Advertisement

The pier at Derrysheridan on the Meath shore of Lough Sheelin is a good spot for wild camping. It’s well off the road and there is a barrier to block cars getting down to the lake (regular fishermen have a key for the barrier). You will have to lift your bike over the barrier, but it means you won’t be disturbed at night by passing trouble makers. So far as I know the land is owned by Coillte. There is a small piece of open ground right next to the pier, suitable for pitching a tent.

You could also try the Sailors Garden which is a few miles west on the Westmeath shore. No barrier here but access is down a long lane and there is plenty of open ground for pitching a tent. Not sure who owns the ground but the surrounding land is bog, on which lots of people have turf cutting rights.

Google Lough Sheelin and you will get plenty of maps of the lake which will show you both locations.
    thanks a million for that thats great info, and will check out your websit i need a 9speed ultegra or 105 in my rear wheel.
    thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

thanks a million for that thats great info, and will check out your websit i need a 9speed ultegra or 105 in my rear wheel.
    thanks.

Planned.
    Next weekend into Monday, Dublin / Cavan (Killykeen Forest Park) / Saint's Island ( Lough Ree) / home.
    Weather dependant.......

Clock about 220 odd.
    Wild camping.

Planet X wrote: »
    Planned.
    Next weekend into Monday, Dublin / Cavan (Killykeen Forest Park) / Saint's Island ( Lough Ree) / home.
    Weather dependant.......

Clock about 220 odd.
    Wild camping.
    Fantastic hopefully you will get the weather.
    i'm layed up with the feckin flu.
    cant do any overnighters just yet still waiting to get audax sorted ,half plan to hit cavan when it is sorted.
    good luck with that tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Flying to Lisbon and cycling to up to Santiago this June over 8 days, probably via Finisterre. In the autumn flying to Almeria and cycling over to Faro possibly via Gibraltar over 8 or 9 days.
    Using road bike with saddlebag and handlebar bag and staying in cheap hotels/pensions. Hoping to average 100 to 110km a day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Hi, I don't know where is the best place to ask this. So I'll post here and hope somebody can help. I'm off to France for two weeks on 11th April. Does anyone know are campsites generally open in France at this time of year. I'm getting the ferry to Cherbourg and still undecided if I'll cycle in the north or get a train down to the south and cycle down there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Most campsites will be open over Easter but some will close down again until the summer. You might find availability limited if you're looking for accommodation but I'd imagine you'll be ok with a tent...

Well i just packed my panniers with all the new gear just want to be sure my new thorn audax will take the weight for the next tour or overnighter.
    i have 4kg in each pannier (rear only) and 2.5kg tent so i think i should be fine.i suppose with food and spare's i will add nother kg but as long as the bike doesn't mind it wont bother this pilot.
    hope to hit cavan end of may.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Well i just packed my panniers with all the new gear just want to be sure my new thorn audax will take the weight for the next tour or overnighter.
    i have 4kg in each pannier (rear only) and 2.5kg tent so i think i should be fine.i suppose with food and spare's i will add nother kg but as long as the bike doesn't mind it wont bother this pilot.
    hope to hit cavan end of may.:cool:

What tent, sleeping mate and sleeping bag do you use?
    Looking into some light touring this year.

okane1 wrote: »
    What tent, sleeping mate and sleeping bag do you use?
    Looking into some light touring this year.
    bought a down quilt from a guy in america hopefully it will keep me warm,
    sleeping mat is exped syn looks class packs really small.tent is big 2 man mountain hardware spear gt2 bit heavy and bulky but worth it i did have the hilleberg akto to small for me even tho i'm a little fella :)
    i'm trying to keep things as small as i can with no bulk think i'm doing well so far.

Planned.
    Weather dependant.......

Clock about 220 odd.
    Wild camping.

Nah......weather closing in on Saturday and Sunday.
    Postponed.

Nah......weather closing in on Saturday and Sunday.
    Postponed.
    good move its supposed to be fun after all.im just headingout for a 50 miler test out my new audax .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Smurphy2014

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are heading on our first camping holiday this June to France for 3 weeks and we would be grateful for any advice offered here! Flying into Nice, planning on heading towards the Pyrennes then up noth back to Cherbourg

1. Is it tue that many campsites are not open / fully functional in France until late in June?

2. Is it worth having a Camping Key Europe which acts as a form of identification and offers discounts at campsites? It costs €16.

3. Do campsites need to be booked far in advance? We would prefer to book as we go along rather than being stuck to a strict itinerary.

4. We are a very active couple and we would like to do hiking, walking and cycling (we will have our own road bikes with us). Any recommendations on good area to go for these?

Thats all for now! New to camping holidays so a lot to learn!

Thanks ��

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-tips-for-cycling-in-france.80485/

chech that thread out you might get the answers you want.

have fun sounds fantastic.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are heading on our first camping holiday this June to France for 3 weeks and we would be grateful for any advice offered here! Flying into Nice, planning on heading towards the Pyrennes then up noth back to Cherbourg

1. Is it tue that many campsites are not open / fully functional in France until late in June?

2. Is it worth having a Camping Key Europe which acts as a form of identification and offers discounts at campsites? It costs €16.

3. Do campsites need to be booked far in advance? We would prefer to book as we go along rather than being stuck to a strict itinerary.

4. We are a very active couple and we would like to do hiking, walking and cycling (we will have our own road bikes with us). Any recommendations on good area to go for these?

Thanks ��

My 2 cent

- route: don;t bother with the middle part of France - quite a bit of it is surprisingly dull, and you'll find yourself biking just to get past it. Spend your time in Languedoc, Provence, Burgundy and the Pyrenees, all of which are lovely for biking. Then take the train to cherbourg. Recent changes to TGV rules mean that many of them finally do take bikes, which makes a long trip much easier/faster.

- every town in france must by law have a municipal campsite. Some are a bit basic, but they are everywhere. So far as I know, they are always open...but the net is your friend.

- I've never had a camping key. Camping with bikes is cheap. Especially in muni sites.

- I've never booked ahead. I've been caught out twice, out of maybe 30 high-season nights (avignon theatre festival). One day ahead shoudl be fine. some sites don't allow reservations in high summer...you just turn up and queue. But June should be no hassle at all.

- the pyrenees are fab for biking (esp the TdF cols) and for walking. End to end of P's is a great trip.

General camping thoughts
    - have a good head torch. alpkit.com do good ones for small dollars.
    - have a small light sleeping bag (it's warm in France, by and large). phd do good ones, but dear.
    - you can get all the wee bits and pieces you forgot, in a decathlon (mega outdoor shops, any large town, inc Nice).
    - dry gear is crucial. Spend the money and get Ortlieb panniers. They last forever. They never leak.

ENJOY. I had a month with the kids cycling and camping in F last year, and it was a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

brownian wrote: »
    My 2 cent

- route: don;t bother with the middle part of France - quite a bit of it is surprisingly dull, and you'll find yourself biking just to get past it. Spend your time in Languedoc, Provence, Burgundy and the Pyrenees, all of which are lovely for biking. Then take the train to cherbourg. Recent changes to TGV rules mean that many of them finally do take bikes, which makes a long trip much easier/faster.

Hi,

You seem to know a bit about this, so hopefully you can help. I'm cycling in France right now, in Limousin at the moment. I'd like to go further south, but I need to get back up to Cherbourg for Saturday 26th, and I wouldn't have enough time to cycle back up, if I were to go to the places you suggest. I'd love to be able to stay down south until Friday 25th, but do you think I'd be sure of getting a train back up to Cherbourg, for me and my bike, from one of the cities down in the south? Not sure exactly where I'd be looking to get a train from yet. But would any one particular souther city be more likely than another? Should I book this online? Or would it be safe enough just turning up at the station the day I want to travel?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

zico10 wrote: »
    Hi,

You seem to know a bit about this, so hopefully you can help. I'm cycling in France right now, in Limousin at the moment. I'd like to go further south, but I need to get back up to Cherbourg for Saturday 26th, and I wouldn't have enough time to cycle back up, if I were to go to the places you suggest. I'd love to be able to stay down south until Friday 25th, but do you think I'd be sure of getting a train back up to Cherbourg, for me and my bike, from one of the cities down in the south? Not sure exactly where I'd be looking to get a train from yet. But would any one particular souther city be more likely than another? Should I book this online? Or would it be safe enough just turning up at the station the day I want to travel?

Thanks.

http://voyages-sncf.com will give you all the times and prices and online booking. I'd say you'd most likely have to go via Paris, don't know if you have to change station there or what though. It gets more expensive nearer the time but I've no idea what's the story with prices on the day, no reason to chance it if you've got to be somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

had missed this thread before now, am hoping to do mizen to malin in mid to late june. if it goes ahead it will be light touring using a recently acquired cyclocross bike but would be aiming to do in 4 to 5 days as am struggling for holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Have a sort of circuit of the Baltic planned for August. Starting in Holland (where I'm living these days) and heading East across Germany and Poland into Lithuania then ferry from Latvia to Sweden and return via Denmark.

Would hope to get a weak mountain bike touring in Scotland next Spring as well. Technically I'm planning on heading out across the Middle East and Africa for a year or so after I've finished my Masters but that's been postponed so many times now even I'm not sure any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hi all,

Thanks ��

Hey! I think you'll love the trip. It's a great way to spend time over the summer.

With regards to your questions,

1. Most are open from May onwards from my experience. The first time I went, I couldn't get over how big into the camping the europeans are. Not just students etc, but you see families driving and camping along with the backpackers. I think you'll be fine at this time.

2. I agree with others in that I don't think you should bother. You'll have your passport anyway so I don't see how anything else would be needed in terms of ID. No vacant campsite will refuse you crisp € notes, regardless of what card you produce. However, I am open to correction on why this card might be needed. I have yet to come across a need for it.

3. I agree with booking along the way. I've never booked in advance on any of my nights in campsites. I've been caught in a similar ratio as @brownian, but only in Spain during a regional festival and in France clashing with a nearby music festival. A few times in peak season we've had to cycle to another campsite, but that's not the end of the world. Worst case scenario you can always cry in the reception office and hope they squeeze you into the worst plot! Just make it a habbit to ask the people in the office when you check in if there was any reason to book ahead in your next campsite. This worked for the last trip I was on in Italy. While it was only a short trip, this saved us on a few upcoming nights as we had no idea of an upcoming event about 150k onwards on our route. The campsite were able to book ahead for us, so no harm in asking them.

4. I assume you are travelling by bikes? If so, then you can go where you like! Cycle touring doesn't really hold you back so you should aim to travel to areas where you want to tick the hiking/walking/beach boxes etc. If you're planning on heading off for a day and leaving your bikes behind, then ask the campsite office to mind them for you. Even still, I've always brought some sort of a lock with me when cycle touring and I imagine most others have too. One U-lock and 2 cable will do for two bikes.. but everyone has there own opinions on security. We locked our bikes to fences etc beside our tents at night, or left them in rooms in B&Bs/cheap hotels.

To copy brownian, my general advice would be 100% get the Ortlieb panniers. You can pick them up cheap enough online. I bought mine from Wiggle and saved even more for being a Gold member and using a discount code. Keep an eye on the sites and you'll find the deals.

There are some great resources online about cycle touring. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ is a popular one, however the website is a bit prehistoric, but bear with it and there is some useful info. Chances are, someone has cycled the route you are planning on doing!

Tent should should be light, but don't break the bank of one of the super lightweight ones. Realistically your boyfriend will be carrying it anyway! :D I will double check the model of mine, but it was very affordable and is a competitive weight for the price.

You will have a great time. 3 weeks is brave for your first trip camping and cycling, but if you are both up for it, then no doubt it will be a great trip!! Enjoy and ask any questions you have. I got plenty of advice from here so no doubt the experts will gladly help.

Midges Midges Midges........
    DSC_0184_zpsjefgnu6e.jpg
    DSC_0186_zpsd7yhxp4s.jpg
    1bede428-9e44-4c09-8640-bf9404354e72_zpsxolbrxoa.jpg
    DSC_0195_zpsxvoics1r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DSC_0184_zpsjefgnu6e.jpg

I see you've named the bike...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I see you've named the bike...

As in......."My name is URL" :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

I hate midges - ruin scotland for me.

Anti-histimine tablet will help with that lot.

I know I'm asking my grandma about sucking eggs, but is the front of that saddle not a tad high?

My indulgence on short trips is a mini portable bbq - smoke gets rid of midges/things, food is nice and then I can gather wood and have a proper little fire through the evening without worrying about leaving a mess. 5 mins with a shovel in the morning and I'm ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Have a sort of circuit of the Baltic planned for August. Starting in Holland (where I'm living these days) and heading East across Germany and Poland into Lithuania then ferry from Latvia to Sweden and return via Denmark.

Would hope to get a weak mountain bike touring in Scotland next Spring as well. Technically I'm planning on heading out across the Middle East and Africa for a year or so after I've finished my Masters but that's been postponed so many times now even I'm not sure any more.

I know it's two years later/an old thread, but how'd it go? I am kind of planning to do a bit of EuroVelo Route 10 in Lithuania to Latvia next May. Put back from this May due to lack of organisation.

I reckon it's fairly flat, according to the Lithuanians I've spoken to!

Thinking of flying into Kaunas and returning via Vilnius where I'm meeting some friends...

Advertisement