Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's acceptable to ask for a 9 year old 147

Options
  • 20-03-2014 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

modnote: The following posts have been amputated from the "dreamer of the year" thread. Best to move them here so as to not kill the original thread.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ah I know but it's hard to resist sometimes.

Speaking of dreamers...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-147-very-low-mileage-sport-5/6549845

Jaysus.

so, if you ran a big car supermarket Moneymaker, with big overheads on staff, rent, rates, utilities, insurances, taxes, the whole lot, what would you retail this car at to make a living?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

MidlandsM wrote: »
    so, if you ran a big car supermarket Moneymaker, with big overheads on staff, rent, rates, utilities, insurances, taxes, the whole lot, what would you retail this car at to make a living?

3k-3.5k at most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

3k-3.5k at most.

then you'd be bust .......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the OP's point is it is a 9 year old Alfa (a model with a poor rep) for almost 6k. Leaving aside the low mileage this is mad money. Even it was a Civic, Corolla or Golf it would be mad money let alone an Alfa. This is just how the market operates, supply and demand.

road_high wrote: »
    I think the OP's point is it is a 9 year old Alfa (a model with a poor rep) for almost 6k. Leaving aside the low mileage this is mad money. Even it was a Civic, Corolla or Golf it would be mad money let alone an Alfa. This is just how the market operates, supply and demand.

there's a lot of confusion here between Private sale asking prices and retail dealer prices ..all of which cannot be compared. I agree the alfa is too dear, but he's left meat on the bone for him to allow for a trade in premium, to impress a buyer with the trade in price he'll offer on their car, to get the sale. Nothing unusual, thats just business.

Moneymaker seems to think its easy to be a car dealer, I'd like to seem him give it a go, he'd be moneyloser in no time. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The whole point of a big supermarket is to have lots of stock, fast turnover and you make more money despite slimmer margins based on volume.
    In other countries it's known as stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap, also covered in economics of scale.
    A concept clearly unknown in Ireland.
    What will happen with a large outlet with big overheads that decides to charge higher prices?
    Turnover will drop and costs will soon escalate and kill the business.
    But of course you work in the trade and judging by the roaring success that is the Irish motor trade with queues of people around the block throwing money at the salesmen, you (plural you, not personal) clearly know what you're talking about. Or have discovered an economic model hitherto unknown to the rest of the world, the STB (screw the bastard) model of economics, very popular here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

there's a lot of confusion here between Private sale asking prices and retail dealer prices ..all of which cannot be compared. I agree the alfa is too dear, but he's left meat on the bone for him to allow for a trade in premium, to impress a buyer with the trade in price he'll offer on their car, to get the sale. Nothing unusual, thats just business.

Moneymaker seems to think its easy to be a car dealer, I'd like to seem him give it a go, he'd be moneyloser in no time. :pac:

What's your problem? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Their ad is atrocius too. All tripe about how great they are, tells you zilch about the actual car. Which just leads me to believe this car has no history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

But sure if your prices are not competitive you'll most likely also go bust :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

road_high wrote: »
    Their ad is atrocius too. All tripe about how great they are, tells you zilch about the actual car. Which just leads me to believe this car has no history.

A lot of dealers seem to do this. Three pictures of the car, seven of the dealership (and sometimes other stock), and about two lines of text about the car at best and two paragraphs about the dealer.

the STB (screw the bastard) model of economics, very popular here...

this thread and content from many posters here reek of anti-trade sentiment, which is ok, everyone's entitled to an opinion, its just there are lots of traders out there who try their best...to sell decent quality stuff, and do their best by their customers, whilst trying to make a living too. Not everyone is the same.

And @ Johnboys lame retort - yes, I do grand thanks,actually just reconciled my half year books this morn (whilst doing a vat return to rev), and i'm doing very well indeed! Thanks :p and best of all, I really enjoy what i do, which to me is key to a good life.

How's your day JohnBoy?

• Advertisement

this thread and content from many posters here reek of anti-trade sentiment, which is ok, everyone's entitled to an opinion, its just there are lots of traders out there who try their best...to sell decent quality stuff, and do their best by their customers, whilst trying to make a living too. Not everyone is the same.

In fairness, the majority of cars that pop up in this thread are from clueless private sellers who think that their pride and joy is worth way more than they are realistically going to get. Its just poking a bit of fun at Donedeal/Adverts sellers who havent got a clue what they are at and who are massively kidding themselves as to what their car is worth.

Occasionally dealers fall into this category, but its seems to be more rare (as they know what they are going to get for a car and its not in their interest to have a high priced car taking up space in their forecourt for months on end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

And @ Johnboys lame retort - yes, I do grand thanks,actually just reconciled my half year books this morn (whilst doing a vat return to rev), and i'm doing very well indeed! Thanks :p and best of all, I really enjoy what i do, which to me is key to a good life.

How's your day JohnBoy?

You seem cranky today. And all this because of an over priced 9 year old petrol Alfa that even you agree is over priced. If you are so happy whats the issue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

tin79 wrote: »
    You seem cranky today. And all this because of an over priced 9 year old petrol Alfa that even you agree is over priced. If you are so happy whats the issue?

Is he the seller, perhaps? :p

Is he the seller, perhaps? :p

lol... no, I don't work there......I don't work for anyone actually, only myself. :pac:

...ahh, I'm just having one of those "bad hair days" - fierce windy outside. :pac:

How's your day JohnBoy?

"lame retort"? I wasn't talking about you personally, I was talking about dealers in general. I thought that much was obvious. I didn't need or expect your life story :pac:

Glad to know you enjoy what you do though but I hope you treat your customers better than you do some of the posters on here as tbh you have a horrible attiude imo and overreact to the slightest of things.

My day is going great by the way. :)

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    "lame retort"? I wasn't talking about you personally, I was talking about dealers in general.

it was lame, and was directed at me. You fool no one with your rubbish. ;)

it was lame, and was directed at me. You fool no one with your rubbish. ;)

Nope I assure you it wasn't directed at you. Your above post is a bit silly and childish tbh. This was the basis for my post. It was nothing to do with you personally or your business and I think it was quiet obvious that it wasnt directed at you tbh.

I presume you were talking in general here and not about yourself specifically?

But sure if your prices are not competitive you'll most likely also go bust :pac:

sure, it wasn't directed at me. as i said, rubbish. :rolleyes:

there's no need to personalise anything here, like you do.

Give it a rest ffs; its a good thread, just take it in the spirit that its intended and stop trying to derail it with a petty arguement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

What's your problem? :confused:

I think you hit a nerve

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Give it a rest ffs; its a good thread, just take it in the spirit that its intended and stop trying to derail it with a petty arguement...

yes, its a great thread, till some try to dig at others, and personalise things like johnboy.

sure, it wasn't directed at me. as i said, rubbish. :rolleyes:

there's no need to personalise anything here, like you do.
    Ah here, Just because I put you or you'll in a post it doesn't mean its directed at you.

(I dont even no why I have to explain this:rolleyes: but anyway) for example if I said, you have to do the nct yearly on cars older than ten years nowadays. Is that directed at you personally? No its directed at the public in general.

Your posts are very childish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

yes, its a great thread, till some try to dig at others, and personalise things like johnboy.

Hold on, you made it personal with moneymaker.
    The last thing we need is another thread ruined with this ****.

Hold on, you made it personal with moneymaker.
    The last thing we need is another thread ruined with this ****.

hold on, here here, and hang on a sec.......I made a point, on a discussion forum ....my word, shock horror ....... i did not personalise anything, only took up his point and challenged his point.......

on forums, the rule of thumb is to attack a post, not the poster ..........and not personalise, like johnyboy does.

hold on, here here, and hang on a sec.......I made a point, on a discussion forum ....my word, shock horror ....... i did not personalise anything, only took up his point and challenged his point.......

on forums, the rule of thumb is to attack a post, not the poster ..........and not personalise, like johnyboy does.
    Do you understand the difference between you singular and you plural?

I attacked no poster. For the last time the point I was trying to make was that if a dealer(not you personally) isn't competitive with his(again not you personally) pricing, then they are likely to be forced out of the market.

This was challenging the point you made about running costs and moneymakers pricing.

I attacked no poster. .

yes, you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Sweet Jesus the irony is delicious:)

Now get this thread back on track....

bidiots wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus the irony is delicious:)

Now get this thread back on track....

I think (hope) his post was a joke..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I wouldn't pay more than 2k for that 147. The interior is manky, the exterior is still wet in the photos and the seller has no creditability IMO.
    Half the advertisement is about the company selling it rather than the car. Silly money.

Advertisement