Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1999 Nissan Primera TD CEL reset

Options
  • 16-03-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I replaced the thermostat in my Primera. I got a bit ahead of my self and forgot to reconnect the coolant temperature sensor before starting the car. I'm 99% sure that this is what caused the CEL to come on and I was just wondering if there is a way to reset the light. Also, is the car OBDII? I can't find the port and rumour has it (from what I can see on-line) that they didn't switch to OBDII until 2000. If anyone could point me in the right direction on this it would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Try disconnecting the negative battery lead for an hour or so. That should clear any soft fault codes stored, providing that the fault is fixed. If it persists, pre OBD 2 cars could have their ECU's fault data erased by bridging the IGN and CHK terminals on the diagnostic connector with a bit of wire TWICE. Bridge the terminals once and count the flashes of the CEL light to ascertain what fault is stored in the memory. You would find a list of flash codes online or PM me and I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Waterson wrote: »
    Try disconnecting the negative battery lead for an hour or so. That should clear any soft fault codes stored, providing that the fault is fixed. If it persists, pre OBD 2 cars could have their ECU's fault data erased by bridging the IGN and CHK terminals on the diagnostic connector with a bit of wire TWICE. Bridge the terminals once and count the flashes of the CEL light to ascertain what fault is stored in the memory. You would find a list of flash codes online or PM me and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the reply :) Where abouts is the diagnostics connector and what does it look like???

I also have an ABS code, an it be read in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Should be a 3 pin connector behind the driver's knee brace, if memory serves, you'll see it by ducking your head under the steering wheel. I'm not sure about the ABS codes, probably would need a scantool to access that control module.

So I don't know if I'm just stupid or what the craic is but I cannot see anything that looks like a diagnostics socket... Can anyone link me to a pic of what it should look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

This says it should be a bit to the right of the steering wheel or so.

And I remember watching this video about getting codes from pre obd ii cars.

• Advertisement

I finally had time today to retrieve the codes. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me a very long time to find the diagnostics socket. The socket is on a length of wire and it had sort of fell down in behind the dash.

The engine codes that I got were 13 and 18.

The ABS codes that I got were 12, 35 and 71.

If there is anyone with information about what these codes relate to it would be much appreciated :)

Found out what the mean using this site :)

http://codes.rennacs.com

Advertisement